Does your Shiba like small spaces or...

rooting up under covers etc? Orion loves to root up under the covers on my bed, he'll jump up on the bed and then start flipping them around to get under them, most of the time I can't even see him in there lol. When I get him to running around the house playing he will sometimes run up under my curio cabinet, it stands about 8" off the floor. I have a rug with plastic under it with pee pads for him in the second bedroom, a couple weeks ago he started rooting up under that too. He seems to like small spaces, he likes to get behind the sofa, but I don't let him because he tries to get the stuffing. he's a crazy Shiba.

I tried to upload a pic of him under the covers, but couldn't get it to, said I did not have psrmission to upload the file type .jpg

Comments

• edited November -1
    My shiba pup Hiro likes to run under the coffee table and it's a really small space between the floor and the table. He'll start sprinting around the house and under the table, over and over again. One would think he would stop seeing that sometimes I can hear him hitting his head, but he keeps doing it! Hiro also likes to go behind the couch and run between the couch and the blinds...

Hiro's also pretty crazy! :)
  • edited November -1
    on and off. sometimes she likes this bed/cave thing thats become too small for her. she barely fits but she insists on going in. and sometimes she takes up the entire bed by sleeping in the middle lol
  • edited November -1
    Keiko takes up the ENTIRE king bed when she gets to sleep with us... seriously... whole thing.
  • edited November -1
    As far as I know, "dening" or going into small spaces is a natural thing for dogs to do. It has to do with instinct because if they were in the wild, they would likely live in a den with their pack. I know a lot of dogs who prefer to sleep under desks etc. (or their crates) because it gives a sense of security.

My shiba, Mylo, rarely dens, but when he does, I know he's uncomfortable with his surroundings. When I first got him as a rescue almost a year ago, he used to hide under my bed every once in a while. He also did this when we went to visit my parents and stayed over night the first couple of times. He did it at my boyfriend's old place too, and he most recently did it when we moved into a new apartment a month ago. Since I figure he hides because he's uncomfortable, I usually lay on the floor next to the bed and reach under the bed to pet him and say kind words to comfort him. Then I just ask him to "come hang out with mummy" and he crawls out. When he's out I give him lots of snuggles and calm attention for a bit, and then he's fine.

I'm not sure if hiding under covers is different or not, but that's just my experience with Mylo hiding under the bed.
  • edited November -1
    Jazz likes to be a blanket monster...she burrows under covers to "attack" the unsuspecting victim she has picked out...most often a stuffed toy or my foot. Once she pounces, she's done.
  • edited November -1
    Bella is not one for small tight spaces. She likes to sprawl. Nola, though, does like small spaces. She loves to crawl under the bed or the couch.
  • edited November -1
    Katsu loves to burrow under blankets and make little pillow forts. When we go over someones house she likes to sit under a table and watch whats going on until she feels comfortable or someone drops some food.
  • edited November -1
    Ike likes to hide under the love seat. I find truth in what Kyla said. I think Ike, for instance, also does this because he is uncomfortable, and sweet talking him gently will induce him to come out, but any loud noise or commotion and back he goes. When he does this I call him my little Hermit Crab :)
  • edited November -1
    So far Kiko seems to like wide open spaces, loves to sleep in the middle of our kitchen floor and the front yard
  • edited November -1
    Keiko also likes to sit under my chair when we're out on the town or visiting friends - I'm sure it's because she's scoping everything out to see if it's up to her standards. She does have a little bit of fear when it comes to hearing plastic outdoor chairs/tables sliding on pavement... she really hates that noise.
  • edited June 2009
    No matter how old he is...mine will always try to squeeze under the couch.

2 pictures at 8 weeks old and one at 8 months old.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    LOL those are priceless pictures Jesse!!
  • edited November -1
    That is too funny.
  • edited November -1
    When Sake gets scared she likes to hide under things, but my two don't usually burrow or hide. Miso likes to be out in the open, always in the middle of the floor or deck.
  • edited November -1
    Triton LOVES to stuff himself into small spaces. Yet when he lays in bed with us, he sprawls and SHOVES us out of the way. Hmmm....
  • edited November -1
    Aston loved small spots, under the bed, tables, if I have my legs on the coffee table he will go right under my legs and lay. Hahaha
This discussion has been closed.