Timberwolf changes formulas...

edited December 2007 in General

Picked up this info on a facebook Shiba group, checked the Timberwolf website and it's true.  What kind of company changes their formulas for the worse?  Nemo did great on their Ocean Blue but now that they have put chicken fat in it, he can't have it.  This information along with the fact that they do not disclose production information is too much.  I'm done with Timberwolf:

Just found out that they started using lower grade ingredients:

Examples:

**"New" Wild and Natural:

Chicken Meal, Chicken, Chicken Fat, Dried Potato Product, Salmon Meal, Natural Flavors, Salmon Oil, Dried Egg Product, Dried Kelp, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Carrots, Dried Celery, Dried Beets, Dried Parsley, Dried Lettuce, Dried Watercress, Dried Spinach, Dried Tomato Pomace, DL-Methionine, Dried Whey Product, Casein, etc

**"Old" Wild and Natural:

Chicken Meal, Fresh Chicken, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract), Low Ash Salmon Meal, Potatoes, Sardine/Mackerel/Anchovy/Tuna Oils (preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract) Eggs, Dried Chicken Liver, Dried Whole Milk, Dried Whey Extract, Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, etc

---------------------------

**"New" Ocean Blue:

White Fish Meal, Salmon, Dried Potato Product, Chicken Fat, Salmon Oil, Natural Flavors, Dried Apples, Dried Blueberries, Dried Cranberries, Dried Figs, Ground Thyme, Ground Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Fenugreek, Dried Garlic, Ground Sunflower Seeds, Ground Sesame Seeds, Dried Kelp, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Whey Product, Casein, Dried Carrots, Dried Celery, Dried Beets, Dried Parsley, Dried Lettuce, Dried Watercress, Dried Spinach,etc

**"Old" Ocean Blue:

Low Ash White Fish Meal, Salmon, Potatoes, Sardine/Mackerel/Anchovy/Tuna Oils, Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Potassium Chloride, Amaranth, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Blueberries, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Taurine, Spirulina, etc

---------------------------

**"New" Dakota Bison

Bison, Salmon Meal, Ground Millet, Ground Brown Rice, Oat Groats, Chicken Fat, Sweet Potatoes, Salmon Oil, Dried Apples, Dried Cranberries, Dried Figs, Ground Thyme, Ground Anise Seed, Natural Flavors, Dried Carrots, Dried Celery, Dried Beets, Dried Parsley, Dried Lettuce, Dried Watercress, Dried Spinach, Dried Egg Product, L-Lysine, Tomato Pomace, Dried Whey Extract, Dried Casein, etc

**"Old" Dakota Bison

Fresh Bison Meat, Salmon Meal, Millet, Sweet Potatoes, Oats, Flaxseed, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Wild Salmon Oil, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa, Potassium Chloride, Amaranth, Currants, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Chicory Root, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, etc

Odd for the addition of "chicken fat" to Ocean Blue, and Dakota Bison. Also the use of "potato product" (new) vs "potatoes" (old) and "egg product" vs "eggs."

Also, beware of the addition of "egg product" to the Dakota Bison formula (which it did not originally have) if you have a dog allergic to eggs!

Comments

• edited November -1
    That is really disappointing to hear. I mentioned it on another thread but, Orijen refuses to out source production, in spite of the fact that they are producing food 24hours a day and still can't make enough.
  • edited November -1

I noticed the "product" fancy way of putting sh*t.

On the topic of food...I guess I am used to feeding my dogs less food.  My mom got a new dog and they are feeding her 4 + cups a day!  She is smaller than Sasha....Sasha gets 2 or less a day.  I guess it goes to show... 

• edited November -1

Holy cow that's a lot fo food!!!

As for the Timberwolf "Organics" - that really sux.

• edited November -1
    Piglet is 55lbs and gets 2 cups of food a day. Has your mom read the suggested portion on her dog food or is she just feeding him until he isn't hungry?
  • edited November -1
    From what she says that is the suggested portion but she also is stating that she cant see the dogs ribs anymore....so she is gaining weight.  But what do I know, I have only have dogs many years more than ANY experience she has had.
  • edited November -1
    That's one thing I really wish I could get across to people about good dog food - even if you don't buy it out of love for your pet and concern for their health, do it because it makes more sense!  My 60 lb chow/shepherd eats ONE cup of food per day.  When my parents were feeding him Costco brand, he was getting 3+ cups/day.  Sure, the bags are expensive, but I buy one, put it in a plastic bin, and it lasts forever, even though I'm feeding three dogs!  Tojo only eats 1/2 cup per day and Rakka eats1 1/5 cups and they are all quite active.