Shiba as a 1st dog...

edited May 2009 in Other Breeds
I have lurked around these forums and gone "awe so cute" from the Shiba to Akita stories. I have surfed Misanthropic Shiba site (http://shibainus.ca/) and read all the posts about Loki the Shiba (http://lokitheshiba.blogspot.com/). I went to my local Shiba Meetup at the dog park and talked to several people about their Shibas. And after all this I have decided...

...I won't be getting a Shiba as my first dog.

I have been talking myself in circles around this and been changing my mind every other day. But, if I had to be true to all the posts here and everything I have seen so far; I don't have the dog experience to handle all the cute/hair pulling nature of the Shiba. I think after I get practice with a less independent dog, I will be more comfortable getting a Nihonken. On that note, what kind of dog do you all suggest as an easy 1st dog owner? Or is there such a thing? :)

(Oh...and not a puppy. They are like little demons in sheep skin. Besides it probably would not like me working 8 hours a day...)

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Easiest dog I can think of: A guide dog school flunkie should be an easy 1st dog. Not a puppy, not "broken," well bred, healthy and temperament screened, already socialized and trained... I think a very normal dog can flunk guide school...

http://volunteer.guidingeyes.org//bin/manpage?0+1+./003.1199959199/004.1199959381

and of course, there are many muttley young adult puppers in shelters that have family histories, esp and sadly now in this economy, you may be able to find a faultless dog that is a good match for you with a little work.

There are also senior dogs who need adoption and a gentle calm home. Those arent pups, but they may have medical issues and not be with you as long, but I guess we are never guaranteed how long any of them will be with us.
  • edited November -1
    Great suggestion!
  • edited November -1
    Loki's blog, huh?

I agree with Chrys all the way! Your local shelters probably have everything you are looking for!
  • edited November -1
    Loki's blog is a wonderful read! It is the thing that tipped me to hold off on Shibas for a little.

I never thought of what happened to the guide dogs that only stopped at the red light 90% of the time. :O
  • edited November -1
    If you like checking blogs, check out this one: http://shibainuspirit.blogspot.com/

Some Shiba can be a real training nightmare and a handful, but training methods can make a huge difference in the outcome there. Selecting the correct temperment for your lifestyle is one of the most important steps in picking a new dog of any breed or mix.
  • edited November -1
    i can definitely see why shiba inus can be a challenging first time dog. but with preparation and realistic expectations it can be a great experience. making sure that a shiba inu's lifestyle and personality fits your own is extremely important. i spent 1 year researching the breed and learning about them from breeders and one of my friends who had one. if the breed fits your lifestyle, then i think that it can be a great experience.
  • edited November -1
    Another thought for a non-puppy non-demanding first dog might be a retired greyhound. They are often only 2-3 years old, but could be older. (and they come in brindle!!) You have to watch the prey drive and keep them on leash, and you may have to teach them stairs, but they tend to be close companions and couch potatoes.

Once you and dog 1 are settled for a while, you can shiba it up when you feel you have your feet under you! :)
  • edited November -1
    No matter what breed you get, Please return here often and update us! Good luck on your search!!!!!
  • edited November -1
    The best part of rescuing a dog, is that then your dog picks you. The greatest soul mates are waiting for you at your shelters.
  • edited November -1
    I suggest trying a shelter too. I have a few friends who work at them, and sadly, there are several dogs who are being left there due to economic hard times. When we were little, we had one of our best dogs from a shelter, nothing broken about her, and I will never know why she was left, but we were very thankful for the time we had with her.

No matter what your choice, I wish you the best at finding your perfect companion :)!
  • edited November -1
    T.T I think I have a shiba withdrawal...I went to my shiba meet-up again and fell head over heels in love again. Maybe I have a shiba related sickness...

I'll need to cold turkey it and sit in the SPCA for a while...I think...
  • edited November -1
    This might help you, might not, but its all I got:
    A couple I know were ready for their first dog and were really looking at buying a Sheltie for a while, they loved everything about them in theory. They talked with a few people who owned them, even almost bought one from the (dreaded!) pet store, but after realizing that as an apartment dog it probably wouldn't do very well they went to our local shelter to 'browse'.
    Two days later they are the happiest proud parents of a doxie mix that suits them very, very well.

I think you might even find joy volunteering at the SPCA walking or grooming the dogs!