A dog's life in Taos

edited December 2007 in General
Here are some pics of the dogs living it up in their new diggs!

Comments

• edited December 2007
    These are just funny - we took them right before the move...
  • edited December 2007

That view out the back door is something else. Don't have to worry about noisy neighbors out back. It's going to cost a lot to fence those mountains in.

Also the hilo eating kaia picture is pretty amazing.

• edited November -1

Congrats!!  Looks great and the kids looks happyTongue out.

• edited November -1
    Im so glad you guys made it ok.  Chad and I have been wondering if you and your pack were doing ok.  Adapting ok?
  • edited November -1
    BTW LOVE the pics.  Ahi looks so small in the window.
  • edited November -1

Looks like you really have a beautiful new life ahead of you guys. That is one heck of a back yard.

How much do Ahi and Hilo weigh? They look HUGE. But I I have no frame of reference. 

• edited December 2007

yea, the view here is pretty amazing, we have like 360 degree mountains. The dogs have adjusted well - tho I think they miss the yard. Hilo was super stressed at first but now he totally loves it. It's so quiet here at night the dogs where just barking at everything, but they seem to have adjusted to it. They are not fond of the Coyotes at night tho.

We will need a big fence, but unfortunately our land stops way before those mountains start.  :c)

----

Jessica - Ahi weighs 45lb and Hilo is 70lb now.

----

Rachael - Yes, we made it safe and everyone has adapted well - thos Jen is going a bit crazy w/o a TV. lol

• edited November -1

That is what you get for getting rid of the movies and tv!  I mean poor poor Jen.  The dogs arent keeping her busy enough?  I can send her Niko!

She stole my sock and played hard to get with me under the bed with it.  Sasha ate my face while I was on the floor trying to get it.  Jen can borrow them!  Ahi making Niko submit may take up some time....

Im sad you guys are gone!  Im glad you are happy. 

• edited November -1
    yea, we miss you guys too - Chad can fly you out here... the Taos Airport is like 10 minutes from here. Wink
  • edited November -1

Ahi is big for a female right?

I kind of hope that our pup is on the big side, when we get her.

Hilo just makes me smile. That picture of him sitting on Kaia is awesome. 

• edited November -1

Are you guys keeping the same numbers?  Chad has some questions for your brilliant mind.  We really would love to travel out there sometime, we meant that.  I wish you guys were mean people so we didnt like you....Sealed

Chad could probably even land on your property!  He wants to put your numbers in his phone to hit you up when he is in the area. 

• edited November -1

Jessica - I think Ahi might be pushing the large side, she has always been a beefcake. Most of her siblings are large to, with the exception of Rakka (right Heidi?). One of the males from her litter is like 60lb!

----

Rachael - Jen and I can be mean if you like Innocent.

None of our phone numbers or email addresses have changed - only our physical location. Tell "The Chad" to call anytime he likes (not you tho Tongue out).

• edited November -1

My mother used to live in Taos and Sante Fe. It is lovely there. I hope you enjoy it with your dogs. It is no fun dealing with dogs off lead. I hope that you find a good solution.

Didn't you move from the East Coast/South (or am I confusing you with someone else) - big change to Taos. I am sure you will enjoy it - my mother really did (she lives in Oregon now).

• edited November -1
    Yes, we moved from Atlanta - it's like night and day (Taos vs. ATL)... we love it here. We wanted to escape the over-the-top materialistic attitude that is growing in Atlanta. It's just not our style.
  • edited November -1

Congratulations! Welcome to "The West"! Now you'll need to throw up some kennel runs and a LARGE play area! I know how it is without a fenced in yard, Lynx grew up without one. It wasn't so bad until she reached a certain age, about 7 months and then I couldn't let her roam without a leash on! <-- there were too many distractions.

Good luck!

• edited November -1
     Congratulations guys, your new home looks very exciting and beautiful.  Lots of places to explore with the kids.  How many acres do you have? 
  • edited November -1

We have 2.5 acres - not a ton, but enough to put up a really large fence for the freaks to run around in. There is no grass here too - so it will be easy to take care of.  :c)

Our house sits on the corner of the lot too so we have most of that 2.5 acres open.

• edited November -1

That is so cool, I can't get over the view from the window in the first pic you posted.  You guys are probably going to put up a chain link fence right?  Just an idea, it might be costly though, build some sturdy wooden platforms that are up off the ground maybe 4-6 feet or so with ramps so the dogs can get to the top and they would be able to look out from a safe, higher area to survey the property and alert you guys as well as each other of approaching animals, people, etc.  They would be able to see over the sagebrush too.  Beneath the platform would be shelter from the sun as well.   

• edited November -1
      I sound neurotic, but I'm just picturing my dogs in that yard, and frankly I would be afraid of wild animals smelling any stuffed Kongs, smells of cooking from the house, etc.  If it's chain link fence you put up, I would put some bells on the fence every 300-500 ft. so you and the dogs could hear if coyotes, raccoons, etc. were trying to climb over the fence to get to the smells. 
  • edited December 2007

We plan to put up a wire and wood fence, kinda a stable fence with chain link - we don't want to block the view but we want to keep the Taos "look". We are meeting with a fence guy next week - our hope is to have a fenced in area that's close by with some kennels in it then a gate that leads to a larger fenced in area... that way at night the dogs could be kept close by and during the day they could roam in the larger area. We also hope to have an Adobe base to the fence so no one can dig in or out.

Having said all that, we don't plan to leave the dogs out over night or when we are gone - they will be in the house during those times.

We also plan to do some subtle xeriscaping to give us some walkways and a sitting area out there. I had not considered giving the dogs a place to climb up onto and look around - that a great idea. They would love it. Ahi has become a crazy intense watchdog since we have moved here - we are trying to tone it down a bit. Hilo on the other hand is the same - he barks when he means business.

Thanx for the advice - we are having a hard time figuring out how to have a totally fortified fenced in area, while saving our view from the house, and not breaking the bank.

As for our view - we can't get over it either... I feel like I'm on vacation living here! Here are some recent views of the mountains - we have had some odd storms move through, but they make great pictures.

• edited November -1

Yeah um Brad, if you and Jen need house sitters, I think Jay and the dogs and I would drive out, just for the view.

Geez, it's beautiful! 

• edited November -1
    Thanx! - we may take you up on that offer.  :c)
  • edited November -1
    I keep meaning to measure Rakka and see how she compares in size to the breed standard.  She seems pretty normal to me, but I've never seen her side by side with another shikoku so it's hard to tell.  I remember when I picked her up, Jill said she weighed less than Ahi...