Daycare & vet appt

edited November 2007 in General

Sasha went to daycare for the first time and Niko hasnt been in a year.  They both did so good.  Niko usually has to always go into timeout but I think that is because they always put her in with little dogs.  This time they listened to us and put her in with the big dogs.  they tried putting her in with sasha in the little dog area and she was not having it.  She is too much for the little dogs.  Sasha did well and got comfortable, but only played with Niko.  May try and separate them next time.  Niko was honored that they all came and met to play with her...she was the life of the party.  Sasha is not eating out of strangers hands!!!  She is making AMAZING progress.

Niko had her annual vet appt on saturday and she was diagnosed with grade 2 Luxating Patella (sp?).  We are going to get her on glucosamine  and hopefully that will assist in preventing arthritis.  if it gets worse she will need surgery but at this point she is doing ok.  She hasnt had any episodes in a few months so i am glad I thought to mention it.  just something else that makes her so special!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Good for them at daycare!  Shibas are always attention-getters in groups, I find.  That's too bad about Niko's luxating patella.  I hope she gets better.  
  • edited November -1
    That's really great news about Sasha - she is such a sweetie.
  • edited November -1

I love my Sasha.  Everyday she changes.  Her new thing now is to harass the cat.  The cat is hiding behind the x-mas tree and Sasha stalks her. 

• edited November -1
       Luxating patellas are very common in the Shiba breed, and that's great that she doesn't need surgery to correct it.  The most important thing you can do for her to keep for comfortable and to avoid surgery is to keep her lean and trim.  I think that's the most common reason we see Shibas at the clinic.  I have noticed that  most oriental breeds have very straight rear limb conformation, as oppsosed to say a Greyhound or a Doberman.  I wonder if that has anything to do with it....