Need a vacuum review!

edited May 2009 in Products & DIY
I'm in the market for a new vacuum.. my two Inus were too muck for my Eureka!
I cannot afford a dyson, but need something up for the challenge of dog hair, stairs, dust, dirt, etc...

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Comments

• edited November -1
    Shop Vac :D
  • edited November -1
    I would check craigslist for a used dyson. How much are you looking to spend? If you don't want a used Dyson, I'll talk to Kurt. He loves vacuum cleaners.
  • edited November -1
    I use the roomba 580. It hope help with stairs but i think it does a great job of picking up dirt and pet hair. if you have a busy schedule and are unable to vacuum everyday the roomba has a scheduler that will vacuum by itself.
  • edited November -1
    We have some sort of hoover wind tunnel, bagless. It works well if you keep the filters clean and don't try and over stuff the collecting bin.
  • edited November -1
    I have an electrolux that works AWESOME. It does use bags, but has some amazing suction. It does not even blink during moulting season. I am not sure of the model, I will have to look this weekend when we move it.
  • edited November -1
    I prefer the bagged to the bagless just because I found with two huskies and now two shibas that the bagless can get clogged and loose suction.

I have a cheap dirt devel from wal mart that is amazing.
  • edited November -1
    I have a dirt-devil bagless, but after having it for 3 years I'll never get another bagless...you empty them and the stupid HEPA filter falls out and you have to pick it up (EEEEWwwwwww) and then it gets clogged and the HEPA filters cost like 22.00 to replace it every few months (That is if you can FIND the filters as they always seem to be out of stock)...what you pay in hepa filters/bags you could by 2 dysons! Needless to say, this summer we are planning on getting the Animal Dyson.

I think we'll be going through HSN.Com...where i can make like 4 $125.00 payments with NO INTEREST :O)
  • edited November -1
    I should mention that I LOVE my Dyson. Absolutely adore it. Never looses sucktion, don't have to touch anything icky. The only thing negative I would have to say about it is that it is heavy. Carrying it from one floor to another can be fun. But, I have a canister one, so it's not quite as heavy as the uprights. I peeked at craigslist for some used ones, and they were selling for about $150 in the Philly area.

When we purchased our Dyson, Linen N' Things (way before they went out of biz) had $100 off, plus we had a 20% off coupon and a $5 off coupon.
  • edited November -1
    Sebo Felix

Its expensive, but its one of the best uprights out there. Will out preform and outlast a dyson. Google them or even check them out on you tube.
  • edited November -1
    Sebo Felix looks impressive! Maybe that will go on my xmas list!
    I've always wanted a Dyson, I just can't bring myself to buy them.

I settled on a Bissell Power Groom Pet (bagless). So far it works really well, too well... I was appalled at how much our previous vacuum didn't pick up! It has a great attachment called a Pet Contour (rubbery) which works a lot better on the stairs than the mini vacuum hose attachments most vacuums come with. So far, I'm happy. I have 30 days to test its durability against shiba hair, though! So we'll see!
  • edited November -1
    I have a Meile Neptune. It is a canister vac but has no issues sucking up the fur around the house. On top of that it comes with a hardwood floor brush. That thing rocks no more sweeping ever again. Price $399
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Hey Jen! How's that Power Groom Pet working for ya?

Roxy chewed through our vacuum cord yesterday (Daddy's fault for not wrapping the cord!) so we need to get something ASAP. They are still blowing coat!
  • edited November -1
    I still like my Bissell Healthy Home
  • edited November -1
    I'm with Jess.

When I worked at Best Buy the store vacuums broke so we had to use the display vacuums in Appliances Department. I've used everything from the Dirt Devil to the $300 Halo.

Bissell always wins for me! ~
  • edited November -1
    I have a Hoover bagless vacuum. It's a Deluxe Elite Rewind (the cord retracts) with a widepath cleaning head. It picks up a lot of dog hair and dust! Even when my carpet looks clean, it picks up tons of Shiba fur.
  • edited November -1
    Mines a Bissell "Liftoff" hybrid Pet edition, and I highly recommend it because it picks up so much hair and dirt. The rug feels so nice after a vacuuming. The Liftoff means you can lift the can off the foot, and hold it via a small handle and go vac the stairs using the hose tool and the mini brush without lugging the whole awkward thing along. This is important for me because I used to have to hold the big vacuum for my mom to do the stairs with the attachment and I once wondered if the beater bar under the foot of the machine still spun if you were using the attachment, so I stuck my hand under and, well--- they DO keep spinning, and I have the scars on my fingers to this day. :(
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Ouch Chrystal!

My main concern is using the attachments. We have to vacuum our couches every 3 days or so and it would be nice to have a convenient attachment system!
  • edited November -1
    Its working GREAT, Pam! I would highly recommend it, its holding up really well to two shedding shibas!

I use the rubbery attachment for the stairs, b/c the hose gets awesome suction, and the pet attachment thinger thats on the front on our furniture.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions guys! We'll have to run by the store tonight to price these suckers.
  • edited November -1
    I had a bagless vacuum before and I hated it. Everytime I emptied it dust & crud would fly everywhere so I always had to do it outside. And of course there was the filter that had to be changed every so often. When the bagless broke, I opted for an Oreck XL21 based on raving reviews from my boss. The thing is only 8 lbs so little 5' me can use it & carry it up & down the stairs, uses a bag, works on both carpet and wood floors (and I use it all the time on the tile in my kitchen). On top of that, it came with a free awesome canister with plenty of attachments (maybe you've seen the commercial where the canister vac picks up an 8lb bowling ball? - it's true!).

I've had the Oreck almost 2 years now and I'm still lovin' the work it does. Every year I take it to the Oreck store for a free tune-up and it stays working like new.
  • edited November -1
    Dyson
  • edited November -1
    I have had a number of friends return their Dyson because they were unhappy with their performance. Others tell me they love it. Is it really worth $400 is my question?
  • edited November -1
    Hi Jessica, i think one has to realize there is no miracle vacuum. carpets are carpets, you'll never get every bit of dust /grime out of there with a vacuum. That being said, the dyson works for me b/c it can take a beating sucking up my hair, every other vacuum i've had would burn out after a few rounds of picking up my hair and having it get stuck in the rotating bar. Also, with the dyson, as long as you keep the joint/ing areas clean, it will suck like new again..we had white carpets in our old apt, and it worked just fine. The new apt i've deliberatly kept all hardwood, though i have a rug in the living room now for the pup which gets the dyson at least twice a week.

so i think if you're realistic about what a vacuum can do, then you won't be dissapointed with the dyson. :)
  • edited November -1
    I did months of product research prior to my last vacuum purchase. I think people fall for hype far too often.My friends who returned the Dyson found it inferior on hardwoods and with weak suction compared to I believe one had a Bissell and the other a Hoover.
    I "test-drove" the top models of Dyson, Hoover, Eureka, Dirt Devil, and Bissell. Checked their reviews with all the major retailers and came to the conclusion that Dyson has a great advertising company and nothing more. I fully concur that ones expectations for any device should be based in reality. However when a products price point is more than double the cost of it's closest competitor it best earn that price. Dyson has not in my opinion.
    Orek on the other hand has proven time and time again to be a superior product. It is priced considerably more than the average vacuum but has numerous studies to prove its efficacy.
    My point being I have yet to have anyone give me a valid argument for buying a Dyson.
    Still waiting for proof of it's monetary value.
  • edited November -1
    I have not had a dyson - my mom had this rainbo thing when we were growing up which worked great, but was a mess to clean up. However, both of my friends with dogs swear their dyson is better than anything they have owned previously. One has primarily wood floors. They both recommended I purchase one when I started looking into getting a dog of my own.

Again, this is not coming from personal experience, just second-hand.
  • edited November -1
    My grandma's dyson gave her a black eye. Nuff said.
  • edited November -1
    Wow Jen, I am kind of curious about that one!
  • edited November -1
    Yes Jen. Do tell! :D ~
  • edited November -1
    i don't use the dyson on the hardwood, it's the old mop and broom for me. Though i did use it once for the hardwood when i was lazy, and yes, it's not so great, but in my opinion, that's what the mop and broom are for! I also find the dyson does really well cleaning the sofas (i have microfiber). To be honest we got the dyson through our wedding money, it's been 3 years and still works fine, and I wouldn't hesitate to get it again should it break down even though we don't have much carpeting anyore (mostly b/c of my hair..it's long strong oriental hair which reeked havoc before dyson).

Jen, do tell!
  • edited November -1
    *Sigh* I wish I could just use a broom and mop. With 4 cats, 2 dogs (one a Shikoku that took FOREVER to blow her coat), a chinchilla, my clients, and me all with long hair PLUS my horrible allergies (allergic to cats, dogs, mold, pollen, mildew, and dust) and asthma, the few times I have attempted using a broom it just spreads the dirt around and makes me violently ill. I literally have to move all of my furniture and vacuum under it, then vacuum the furniture itself, then my curtains, then go through with a swiffer to get anything I might have missed everyday, when Miko is blowing 2x a day.
    One of the most informative sites I found (Jen this may be useful for you with your mold situation) was something like the national asthma society (I will poke later and try to find it again) they had a forum discussion regarding most effective vacuum. Oreck was way up there (out of my price range) but not far behind was the Bissell Healthy Home. 5 hepa filters, big canister, and for the 2 years I've had it, it hasn't clogged. My favorite is the pet fur tool for my microfiber couch and love seat.
    Next shopping research for me is a steam cleaner for my furniture. If anyone has suggestions I am all ears. Keeping in mind I use no scary chemicals (worse for you than the allergens themselves. All hail vinegar and baking soda.