Smart puppy?

edited November 2007 in General
ok my puppy roxy is well Smart? she knows laydown and roll over. but not sit! she just lays down. also she fetchs!! so that meen I have a dog that usally doesn't fetch and fetches and my aunt has 2 goldens that won't fetch! so how can I teach her sit? she just lays down also she BITES! how can I stop that? and one more thing today when in her crate for her nap she jsut went and fliped her bed over and went to sleep on a hammock like bed anyones dog ever done that before? and one last thing are x-mas trees dangerous for them?

Comments

• edited November -1

When Tojo was a puppy, he was really nippy.  He'd chew on my hands all the time and go after my hands while I was playing with him.  Everyone told me that when a puppy bites you say, "No" and tap them on the nose, but when I did that, he'd just try to bite the finger I was tapping him with.  Later I read a tip on a shiba-related site to try using breath-freshener and spraying it in their mouth when they bite.  I'm telling you, it worked like magic.  I had a couple around the house and kept with with me when we were playing, and within two days, he was virtually cured of all biting.  He seriously HATES breath freshener.  It was very useful later when teaching him which toys were baby toys and which were puppy toys, because I just sprayed all the baby toys with breath freshener and he wouldn't touch them.  Also, if he was being particularly naughty, I would just wave the breath freshener at him and he'd shake his head and run away.  

As for Christmas trees, I know tinsel is a choking hazard for pets.  Mostly cats, probably though, since they're more inclined to try to play with it and eat it.  Also the water at the base of the tree is dangerous for pets.  Here's a link on more Christmas safety for pets: http://www.ehow.com/how_9309_make-christmas-tree.html

• edited November -1
    ok thnx. I'll deff try the breath freshener. I'm not worried about the water at the base cause well shes scared of the tree she'll look at it sniff it and jump back then run up and bite it  tear some needles off and run away in a circle. Also she's started spinning and I'm worried it will become an obsession. should I be worried she only does it every once in while when shes been playing then stops.