3 Shibas, a stick, a string, and a squirrel tail

edited November 2007 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)

This weekend I took Nemo over to his brothers house, where they were able to play in the new fenced in portion of the yard.  Turi has a favorite toy that the other dogs like to use, it is the squirrel tail from a squirrel that he killed.  It's attached to a cat toy, and they like to jump after it.  Here are a few samples, below is a link to a gallery of about 20 pictures:

Nemo jumping.  Finn (black) and Turi (red) looking on.

Turi Jumping with Nemo and Finn looking on:

My favorite of Nemo from the outing:

And a link to the gallery:

http://bwisch.coffeestain.org/displayimage.php?album=45&pos=0

Comments

• edited November -1

Very catchy title! And such a creative and inventive (double speak intended) toy.

Those photos are great. I love your Shiba action shots. Nemo is such a handsome young man; loving his portrait.

• edited November -1

Absolutely beautiful dogs.  And fantastic photos!   I can't believe how high Nemo was jumping.  The toy must really be popular!

Now... whose idea was it to let Turi keep the squirrel tail as a toy?  I would never have thought of that.  Thankfully, though, Anakin has never brought me a squirrel.  Birds and lizards have been the extent of his trophies (they go right into the trash or get a back-yard burial) although he did corner a poisonous snake once while in Florida and scared me to death!

I love the portrait of Nemo.  He's such a handsome boy!

• edited November -1

Wow!  Nemo has to be a champion leaper!!!  What heights!!!

I think my favorite photos are #12/17 and 17/17. 

• edited November 2007

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Shibamom: It was the idea of the two young boys to keep the tail of the squirrel as a toy. Turi just goes insane when it comes out, he is a bit crazy as it is.

ddowdemers: Turi is the one jumping in most of the photos, he gets so crazy he never stops. I think he would keep going until he passed out if you didn't put it away. Nemo is only jumping in the one I posted on here.  In #12 Nemo was just about to bark.

• edited November -1
    I love all your photos Brandon.  My husband made me put Nemo in the grass mouse hunting as our wallpaper.  Do you have an amazing talent or just a good camera?? Laughing
  • edited November -1

So that's a real squirrel tail? It doesn't stink or anything?

Turi really can jump high, is Turi Nemo's brother?

Nemo looks really happy in that last photo, and his red color is so nice in the first!

For real tho - what kind of camera do you use? Is it a Digital SLR?

• edited November -1

I'd like to think that I have a little bit of talent to go along with some decent camera gear.  Also, I took about 200 pictures on Saturday, and considered about 30 of them to be good, and took the time to do some editing on the 17 I posted.  The editing mainly consists of some cropping, white balance, and color adjustments.  I shoot "raw" so that just records information and does not adjust any colors or saturation like taking pictures in JPG format does.

Yes Turi can jump high, Nemo can get up there too, just doesn't jump as often as Turi.   Turi is Nemo's brother.

As for my camera I use a Nikon D50 which is a DSLR, a discontinued one at that.  For these photos I was using my Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor, Lens.  A lot of my older ones were taken with the 18-55 DX and 55-200 DX "kit" lenses that I purchased with the camera.  For the indoor shots I also used my SB-800 flash, because built in camera flashes wash things out way too much.

And yes, it is a real squirrel tail, it doesn't stink, but it's kind of gross to handle when it's covered in dog slobber.

• edited November -1
    How big is nemo?  Im sure this has been discussed before but he looks like a big boy!  Not fat, just big....
  • edited November -1
    Nemo is 25lbs.  Probably 18-19 inches (a bit over standard).  He is built pretty solidly and is a muscular little guy.  Finn (black) is taller than Nemo, but has a skinnier build.
This discussion has been closed.