Kennel Cough

We took the older border collie to the vet today because he's been coughing and hacking - yep, it's kennel cough. And, after years of being kennel-cough free (we've never had a dog that's gotten it) - a month of fun at the dog park has led to the dreaded kennel cough. It's not that we're worried he won't get better, it's like a cold. But there are 3 other dogs in the house right now besides him, and there's a very likely chance they will get it too. It is possible, if the dog is alert, eating well, etc, to let it run it's course, no meds necessary. We decided to go the med route, to head off as much as possible, and have found it is pretty darn expensive...not that each part of the treatment is, but it all adds up. And the *fantastic* news is, vaccinations don't necessarily mean your dog won't get kennel cough - something about the combinations of bacteria/viruses, it's just tough to vaccinate against them all. Apparently there is a nasal spray that is considered to be more effective, and starts working within 4 days. So for any new dogs to the household, that will be good. So, for now, just waiting to see if the other dogs get sick, how long it's going to take for Tag to get better Frown.

Comments

• edited November -1

Poor Tag. So far we have been free of Kennel Cough too - but we have always worried about it. Ahi has to get her vaccine next Friday before we move.

I hope Tag feels better soon! (and I hope the rest of your pups stay cough free). Keep us posted!

• edited November -1
    Aww, poor guy.  I hope he doesn't have too rough of a time.  We've been lucky and not had any illnesses to speak of, although I am more concerned how that we live in the country.  There are wild animals on our property - including coyotes, deer, pronghorn antelope, and lots of other things that can transmit diseases to dogs through urine or feces.  We're probably going to step up the vaccines next time around to include lepto and kennel cough.  I'm sort of into minimal vaccines (we did delayed vaccines for my son), but there's just more risk now.  Too bad they don't always work, though, huh?
  • edited November 2007

When I did foster, the dogs got Kennel cough - I think Tasha's had it three times, Jack had it twice. The vaccines never worked. Now, they don't get the vaccine at all. If I boarded them, sure. but I don't.

Poor little guy! I hope he feels better soon and that the others don't get sick! It is super contagious.

• edited November -1
    Poor baby!  My Sasha got kennel cough this spring from my friends foster dogs.  My other friend's dog got it.  From what I have been told is that it has to run its course.  We did give Sasha robitussin (I believe NOT DM), there is info on the internet.  It was referred by our vet but there is dosage and stuff on it.  This of course is all up to you,  but it helped GREATLY with suppressing the cough.  It was nearly impossible to get her to take the medicine so I had to make a nasty concoction of treats and nummy crud to help her suck it down.  Now Niko did not get it from her so you never know who will and wont get it in your home.  Here is hoping it is a minimal outbreak.  Just like kids, no matter how hard you try and protect and keep them safe and healthy it doesnt always work.  Let us know how he is doing.
  • edited November -1

ooo poor doggy's

we in holland have a drink for cough

you can take the one that's also good for children

it makes the cough easier and soft it

its nicer for the dog

• edited November -1

Lynx had gotten Kennel Cough a month or so ago from my roommate's dog/clothes <-- she works in a kennel. It was sad to see my "baby" hacking every so often, but there wasn't much I could do. I just let it run its course <-- it was mild. Fed her regular food, but sometimes would make chicken broth for her <-- I thought maybe something warm might sooth her throat a bit (I also gave her oranges; she loves them!). And kept her activity level limited.

So basically she ate, had potty breaks but pretty much stayed in my room either in a crate or hanging out (when not coughing up bubbles on my floor) <-- for a week --> but she needed to recover.

Kennel cough, as I know it infects 7 days prior to the dog exhibting any symptoms (sp?). The dog is sick for 7 days and then the dog recovers and it takes yet another 7 days before it leaves the body entirely. So it lasts about 21 days. However, the dog should not be sick for more then a week. At worse case, 2 weeks. After a week though, if the dog is still sick, I would take him/her to the very right away! After 2 weeks, IMMEDIATELY!

I wish Tag all the best. It'll be over soon buddy. Take care!

• edited November -1

Tag has pretty much recovered from the kennel cough. We went to visit Tommy's parents in Orlando with Stokes and Jack, leaving Tag home, and while down there Jack got a stuffy nose - no cough, just congested. We bought a humidifier, and gave him robitussin, and he was much better. So, hopefully the end is in sight.