I give up. YES she IS a wolf/fox/coyote.
  • Jay and I have given up.

When people ask if Miko is a wolf or a fox, we just say yes.

For some reason, that ends all questions and we can just keep walking.

Obviously when we have someone legitimately inquiring ,we will talk about her and the Shikoku breed, but the people who stop on the road or the college kids who should questions we have given up and let them think she is the tiniest wolf in the world.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • RomiRomi
    LOL! Man, at the shikoku booth today...I don't know how many times I heard "looks like a fox" or "this breed is part wolf right?" I feel bad for Corina, I was only there for 4 hours, she has been there friday, today, and tomorrow from 10am-7pm! Answering the same questions over and over again and explaining how Shikoku are their own DOG breed.
    Romi - Portia (Boxer), Ninja (Shiba), Wink (Norrbottenspets)
    Post edited by Unknown User at -0001-11-30 00:00:00
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Corina and I wandered over to the Shiba booth to see if they knew where the Kai ken display was (I think Corina's source misinformed her and mistook the "Alaskan Klee Kai" booth as the Kai Ken). Anyways, they had makeshift tip jars on their booth that said, "If you say, "it/he/she/they look like a fox/wolf. Then you owe us a quarter to help our Shiba Rescue". I thought it was clever:)

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• wliu003wliu003
    lol, since im still in college, I always say that shes a fox when i take her to campus. I get a lot of people asking so I had to think of a clever answer to see whose really interested.
    Kelly (5 year old Shiba Inu) and Benkei (4 month old Kai Ken)
    Post edited by wliu003 at 2009-04-18 23:37:33
  • EdgewoodEdgewood
    Yeah, I know! I did the pet expo in Reading PA and I must have gotten "he looks like a fox" about 100 million times. Coyote and wolf too...
  • NekopanNekopan
    I don't know what kind of crazy foxes these people have seen, but the Shikoku looks nothing like a fox to me. Wolf/coyote maybe. Even that is a stretch.
  • SangmortSangmort
    What?! Either giganticly huge fox with the wrong colouring, or a tiny little wolf!

A coyote is pretty close tho ;)

Take it as a compliment since foxes, coyotes, & wolves are all gorgeous :) ~
  • maybe get a shirt or put up a sign that says NOT A WOLF / FOX / COYOTE
    i imagine that gets kind of annoying
  • Miko is the same size as our local fox. And she does resemble our coyote. I totally understand the question. Just sick of clarifying.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    lol. its amazing that people ask that with total naivety, totally expecting you to say yes, and amazed that a DOG would be at the other end of your leash.

Kris - I know of a woman who went to that pet expo in Reading to see if she could find any shikoku or icelandic sheepdogs! I wonder if you met her?
    volunteers4paws.wordpress.com
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • KaddyKaddy
    I totally understand Jess...

We went downtown today and I had to convince a woman that we weren't breaking the law by having a fox in our custody... *sigh*

I love the idea of having a tip jar, Jesse - I'm just not sure how I could attach one to my body ;o)
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    My favorite is when you explain it to them and they ask, "Are you sure?" - gotta love those idiots.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • Honey's momHoney's mom
    "maybe get a shirt or put up a sign that says NOT A WOLF / FOX / COYOTE
    i imagine that gets kind of annoying"

I think Kristen has a shirt that says....SHIBA INU. NOT a fox! hahaha I know I've seen her post a picture that says that! hahah

We get the "looks like a fox" thing Everywhere we go. I'm pretty much immune to it now. lol My automatic response has become "She's a Shiba Inu, They are like Cousins to the Akita." (ARE they "cousins"? lol) But I'm finding that people around here aren't REALLY familiar with Akitas either! hahah So THEN I just say....."She's a Japanese Breed. Google it." LOL
  • EdgewoodEdgewood
    Jen - she might have met Kuma. I worked 3 h on Friday and 3 h on Saturday at the Berks Co Dog Training Club booth. We did get lots of traffic. But no one came up and actually knew that he was a Shikoku, so maybe not!
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    If I know I'm talking to an idiot, or suspect I am, I have occasionally gone so far to tell them "these aren't even my dogs, I'm just a dog walker". For the average red blooded George and Georgina Liquor out their that can barely spell their street name, I tell them "Oh it's a little Japanese hunting dog" which seems to also end all questions.
    I almost feel protective of even the name of the breed, and I don't want to just go giving it out to people without first knowing if they are even literate or capable of logical thoughts. I guess I fear that they will go right home and then order one off the internet or something like that now that they know what the breed's called.Hokusei Kashinoki Hokkaido and Shiba Inu
    masakadoshiba@hotmail.com
    www.masakadoshiba@wordpress.com
    www.hokkaidousa.wordpress.com
  • KaddyKaddy
    LOL Lindsay I felt the same way today!!!!!! I had soooooo many people ask about Keiko, and I was honestly happy when they didn't understand me saying 'Shiba Inu'

There was one lady OBSESSED with Keiko that kept saying "I'm going to get me one one of these Shina Kebo's!!!" ... I seriously thanked her hearing issues...
  • Someone at the meetup was talking about "If I had a dollar for everytime somebody asked me if she was a fox, I'd be rich" Since we've only had Katsu for a week we're still not sick of it. Last night we were outsied walking her when someone stopped and said.
    "Awww she's cute, she looks like a little bear/wolf/fox thing. What is she? A what? A Shimu Emu? What's her name? Katchu? Catsup? Oh Katsu."
    Any time anyone asks about her. I go into a long speech about the Japanese spitz breeds, and how shiba's aren't for everyone and then I tell them about this forum, tell them to do their research, and tell them to rescue or buy from a good breeder. Either they listen or their eyes glaze over and they lose intrest in the dog, both work for me.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    You're much more pt than I am with strangers.Hokusei Kashinoki Hokkaido and Shiba Inu
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I ment "patient"Hokusei Kashinoki Hokkaido and Shiba Inu
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2009-04-19 13:55:00
  • lepercannlepercann
    Poor Triton, he gets: "is that a white fox/wolf? What kind of dog is that?" And when we have Sadie too (who is a red sesame) it's, "are they the same kind of dog"? Different color, people. That's it. Same breed. Now I just say that they are both a small Japanese hunting breed. People hear hunting and walk away.
  • CaliaCalia
    I've had people come up to me and think that Tetsu is a puppy version of Tikaani, and some who ask if he's a Klee Kai. One lady argued with me and said that "shibu emus" don't come in a back and tan color, only tan, so he has to be a type of shepherd.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Something about telling people "it's a hunting breed" really puts most of them off. I guess that's good, but considering how many people have labs/spaniels/beagles, etc, I thought more people would think that was a bonus.

For the longest time, all we ever saw at the clinic were red Shiba Inu. My girl was the first sesame(ish). When a black and tan boy came for unsucessful treatment of bladder stones/acute blockage, nobody including me thought he was a Shiba until some of us got into the breed much later. Of course, we were just being stupid, vets are not good authorities on breed standards at all.Hokusei Kashinoki Hokkaido and Shiba Inu
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2009-04-20 00:25:15
  • You would think that, but how many times do I meet people who complain that their beagle barks all the time?
    People get dogs for looks and then get annoyed when they act like dogs.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Too true.Hokusei Kashinoki Hokkaido and Shiba Inu
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    People also get dogs for their looks (without research into breed characteristics) and get annoyed when they act true to their breed.

Case in point, I was taking Ichi out for a walk today and a woman came up to me with a black and tan female (no more than 6 months old).

Her: "Oh look you have one too!"

Me: "Oh hey, what a pretty girl!" (I crouch down and she proceeds to climb on my lap as I give her scritches behind her ear).

Her: "My gosh she went right up to you! She doesn't like him at all! She just stands and barks at him" (points to gruff lookin' guy on bench)

Me: "Yeah, the breed is known to be aloof of strangers, dogs, etc."

Her: "She doesn't act like a puppy at all!"

Me: "Ummm...yeah."

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• KevinKevin
    Don't go to a convention or some such event with an unusual dog if you don't want to field questions from ignorants.
    It's that simple.
  • I am talking about standing in my own yard.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • HeidiHeidi
    One person once asked me if Tojo was Rakka's puppy. It's not a dumb question, but it made me smile, because Tojo is the total boss dog of Skella and Rakka and to think of him as Rakka's puppy is funny.

I met a lady once who insisted that Tojo must be part fox, even though I told her that dogs and foxes can't interbreed. Oy vey. The funniest though is when people think he's a cat. It's happened THREE times! All three times, he was in the car, so I think they just didn't get a good look at him, but two of the times, the person was like, "Oh, your cat likes car rides, that's strange!" and the other time, two guys were walking through the parking lot and their conversation went like this:

Guy1: Whoa... look at that! *pointing to Tojo*
    Guy2: What about it?
    Guy1: Is that a cat or a dog?
    Guy2: A dog, you moron.
    Rakka 落下(Shikoku Ken), Sosuke 宗介 (Kai Ken), Hester, Stephanie, and Batgirl(cats)
  • ZinjaZinja
    Looks more like a Dingo to me :)
    -Joe
  • My next door neighbor asked if Miko was a cat when I brought her home.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    Maybe the Dingo ate your baby!
  • EdgewoodEdgewood
    OMG - how do you get a cat from a Shiba or Shikoku? They look nothing like a cat! Not much like a fox either (for Shikoku), more like a coyote. Shiba do look a bit fox like (red, pointy faces, smaller). But still, come on people!

Heidi, I love the Guy1 and Guy2 discussion - that made me laugh!
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    When I first got Sake she was 4.5lbs and everyone thought she was a kitten.
    Post edited by KFontaine04 at 2009-04-22 14:44:26
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    When I play with the pen light, they act amazing feline in their pouncing techniques, especially with the pointy ears. But seriously, how many 25 lb cats with curly tails are there???Hokusei Kashinoki Hokkaido and Shiba Inu
  • With my shiba I usually get fox or little wolf, but one guy said that "he looks exactly like a reindeer!"Matt and Ali with Yuki (Shiba) and Max (Treeing Walker Coonhound)
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    Reindeer? Now that is a new one!
  • CaliaCalia
    I guess they mistook her naughty horns as antlers
  • LisaWLisaW
    ... think he just heard the word reindeer somewhere and tried to be cool...cant think of another excuse :)

Shibas ressemble foxes.. BUT everybody who has ever seen a pic of a fox nows that Shibas arent ones... think people have lost their ability to look concentrated on things... they just have a glance and than theres a fixed idea in their mind and nothing can prove that they are wrong cause they wont look right again...

thinking Sake is a cat.. damn...I wont yell if they think hes a icebear.. but a cat??? hello??
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    If you just look at Sake's ears and legs...I can see how one would think cat :P

Jesse
    Jesse Pelayo

• KFontaine04KFontaine04
    That picture was when she was 3 weeks old, when I got her she was much bigger and more dog looking, but people still asked if she was a kitten.
  • asiaasia
    Having seen many coyote and fox, and then having finally met a Shiba Inu - and a red one at that - i would have to say yes, there is a resemblance, but not enough to mix that often. The tail alone is a huge give away.

However, having lived in the country for most of my life, I have found some people's knowledge of animals in general to be quite sparse. I once had someone mix up sheep and calves. I thought it was a fluke, until it happened again and then yet another time.

Kristin, that picture of Sake made me melt!
  • Jay had a coyote run in front of his car Sunday. He cam home and said "they really do look like big versions of Miko"
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    LOL!
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    I would agree that the Shikoku and Coyote comparison is as close as any of these comparisons can get. It's still not that close though.

There was just a community meeting last night not far from here about Coyotes. All of these people who think it is a great idea to knock out the middle of the forest and build a sub division are complaining that the Coyotes are a "nuisance" in their (the peoples) land. What a joke. The animals are just trying to survive, and your little dog is easy pickings. If you don't want your dog eaten by a Coyote, then don't send it outside to do it's business for 20 minutes while you watch TV. /rant
  • some people say katsu looks like a bear. Lately everyone says "What kind of dog is HE?", totally missing the fact that she's wearing a pink collar, a pink harness, and a pink leash.
    My dad still can't say Shiba Inu the right way which is sad because he served in Japan and married a Japanese woman. This still isn't as bad as Dawn's boss who thinks Katsu is a Shitzu Emu, and that her AKC name is Victoria Secrets Porkchop. My favorite wrong way to say Shiba Inu is still Shibu Emu, speaking of them I saw one at the park today.

SHIBUEMU
    Post edited by shimaurashibalover92 at 2009-04-25 02:31:48
  • KaddyKaddy
    LOL that's the cutest Shiba Emu I've ever seen!

I'm still trying to catch a glimpse of the hard to find 'Shiba Emo' ...
  • NekopanNekopan
    Behold, the Shiba Emo! (With apologies to whoever owns this pup...)
  • KaddyKaddy
    LOL PERFECT Kyla!!!!!
  • phoenixphoenix
    Loved the Emo!
    :-)
  • cmmookiecmmookie
    Haha. Now we just need a picture of a Shiba Nibu, whatever that may be.
  • I put Nibu into google image search and this is one of the pics that came up.

2008042825065_2323088128_2dc27313e1_b-1_jpg_w450

I guess a shiba nibu kind of looks like Speak from the Tick cartoon.

speak2
    Post edited by shimaurashibalover92 at 2009-04-26 02:41:38
  • HeidiHeidi
    Oh my word... lol
    Rakka 落下(Shikoku Ken), Sosuke 宗介 (Kai Ken), Hester, Stephanie, and Batgirl(cats)
  • KirbysmomKirbysmom
    I get asked that all the time about my Red Sesame Shiba Inu. A lot of kids ask that, but many adults too.
  • After this weeked the whole wolf/fox/bear/emu thing is getting old now. I'm going to make a shirt on cafepress.com for Katsu that says something like "I am a Shiba Inu. I am not a fucking fox!"
  • It's been done.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • where can you get them?
  • I know I have seen them on Cafe Press.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • HeidiHeidi
    I mostly hate it when people ask me what kind of dog Tojo is and then ask what a shiba inu is. Obviously, a shiba inu is a kind of dog.
  • CaliaCalia
    I met this one woman who actually had business cards made out with the information of her dog and his breed, I thought it was cute but made it way too easy for people to remember the specifics.

Even though it's annoying when I'm always getting questions about Tetsu, I'm glad that they can't pronounce shiba inu correctly. That just means that that person is less likely to go to a pet store and pick one up with out researching.
  • We used to hang a sign around my roommates Newfoundland with all his specs. I want to do it with Odin too. I actually had a guy asked me what Shikoku meant today. I told him it was Japanese for retarded coyote. He thought I was serious at first.
    *sigh* I should have sold him a bridge while I was at it.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • that is way to funny. I wonder what the correct translation for retarded coyote in japanese is?

i found the shirt on cafe press, it's design is alot nicer than what i had in mind. Mine would have a curse on it, but I guess that could lead to uncomfortable sitiuations. Some little kid "Mommy look, it's not a FUCKING fox!"

http://pets.cafepress.com/item/quoti-am-not-a-foxquot-shiba-inu-dog-tshirt/369253660
    Post edited by shimaurashibalover92 at 2009-04-28 01:25:41
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I was at a match this weekend with Ike. Now, this was not an official show, but it was hosted by a breed club, so lots of dog people, right. Anyways, this lady comes up and asks me if Ike is a Tervuren. Now come on!
    Hokusei Kashinoki Hokkaido and Shiba Inu
  • okironokiron
    Lindsay - LMAO, gorgeous dog but seriously??!?!
    -Rina
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    "I am so serial."
    Hokusei Kashinoki Hokkaido and Shiba Inu
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    LOL Jess, retarded coyote...love it.
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    I'm getting used to the fox/wolf thing. Though never in my life did I see a wolf resemble my dogs, but I digress.
    Its a great opportunity for education, obviously the looks of a nihon ken are the first to grab most people's attention, then you build on that at give them correct information. I'm constantly giving out the National Shiba Rescue's website for breed info and intro into the real situation shibas are in now, needing to be rescued.

Iits funny, we went hiking this past Saturday with a friend who never met my dogs, and after the 4th person asked if they were a fox, she said "How do you manage to keep straight faced?". I couldn't bring myself to get a shirt made, though.
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I have a shirt that has this on the back:

Answers To The Most Frequent Of Shiba Inu Questions:
    Yes, they do look somewhat like a fox.
    No, this is as big as they get.
    Yes, they are good with children, if children are good with them.
    Yes, they bark when there is something to bark at.
    Yes, they are easy to housebreak.
    No, they don’t often get along with dogs of the same sex.
    Yes, they shed. Twice a year they blow their coat.
    Yes, they are good indoors and outdoors.
    No, they are not related to the Finnish Spitz, Basenji, Siberian Husky, Welsh Corgi, or the fox.
    Yes, they are related to the Akita. They are the smallest of the Japanese breeds of dog.
    Yes, they are very independent and do not like to listen when you call them.
    Yes, they believe everything in the world is theirs, such as: Your Bed, Your Pillow, Your Shoes, etc.
    Yes, they do scream.

I printed it on transfer paper and did it as an iron-on to a shirt. I usually wear it when I'm doing something with the Animal Guild and Jazz is with me.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
    Post edited by ljowen123 at 2009-04-28 12:51:32
  • sunyatasunyata
    LOL! "Retarded Coyote." I am going to have to remember that. :-P
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
  • Yeah, I was walking around at the Pet Expo with Kotomi. Someone seriously thought Kotomi was a Fox. Usually I get, "Looks like a fox". However, this time he thought, "Oh, you have a fox?!"

I do believe Kotomi is part cat though -grins-. Fox, no. Cat, yes! lol.
    Areyarisu Shikoku Kenimage

Shoushuu | Kotomi | Maika | Asra | Ranala

Other Canine Members of The Airreyalis Crew: Keno & Zander (Alaskan Klee Kai) | Saphira (Belgian Groenendael) | Naishka & Takashi (Yakutian Laika)
  • HeidiHeidi
    That's weird, Corina. Shikokus are way too big to be foxes!
  • EdgewoodEdgewood
    Yeah Heidi that is what my husband said today when I told him about Corina's "wow, you have a fox". Our foxes around here are maybe 10 to 12 lbs, tops. I think that they (Shikas) look much more coyote like than fox like (especially Rakka and Loa with their sesame coat, my Kuma is a bit more red sesame than sesame, so I think he looks less coyote like).
  • ShikokuSpiritShikokuSpirit
    Most people really don't know what a fox or wolf looks like (to be honest).

I'll have to wear a T-Shirt with photos that says this...

This is a Fox
    This is a Wolf.
    This is a Husky.
    And this IS a Shikoku!

Other Canine Members of The Airreyalis Crew: Keno & Zander (Alaskan Klee Kai) | Saphira (Belgian Groenendael) | Naishka & Takashi (Yakutian Laika)
  • I posted this on Katsu's thread but thought it would fit here too.

• My parents came to visit me awhile back and while I was at school my dad took my red shiba for a walk down by one of the many lakes around where I live (she LOVES to chase ducks, big surprise). My little Kitsu has the sleeker fur and she's quite slim and leggy with a narrow face, which creates a more fox like look...
    He was sitting on a bench with the leash all the way out so my pup could crouch down in the reeds and watch the duckies
    around the time she was stalking through the weeds a police patrol car came by and stopped and two officers got out of the car and stood discussing my pup and the fact that she thought she was a fox...then they spotted my father and saw she was in fact attached to a leash.
    the two asked him what kind of animal she was exactly to which my father replied "what does she look like?" (my father, always the smart a@#)...the officers responded with "Sir, you know its illegal to keep wild animals as pets?"
    After messing with the officers for another 10min and winding them up my dad finally explained the whole Shiba Inu thing to the cops and they left
    we laughed about the whole ordeal for days
    Oh, I've failed to mention...I've also gotten a lot of people tell me what a cute Shiba Inu I have.
    At least they're pretty close when compared to all of the above assumptions.

A real mind-boggle I got was mistaking Shoushuu for a German Shepherd (???). I still get those, but oddly enough it is usually a mistake made by young kids.

• Honey's momHoney's mom
    Well I think I have you all beat!!!!! Just this past weekend I had a lady ask me were I got my POM from!!!!!! i said "Pardon me?" She said...."That's a Pomeranian right?" I said...."Um ....no." She said "Oh, with the tail flipped up like that it looked like a pom."

um......."Here's your sign".
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    So now we have Tosca the vicious Akita and Honey the Pomeranian!
  • Michelle MMichelle M
    I get the same thing.

"You know that coyotes mixes in Georgia are illegal, right?"
    "He's a Shikoku. He's not a coyote."
    "Well, sure he's one of those little mop dogs!" Wink wink.
    "That's Shikoku, not Shitzu."
    "Well, good luck with your coyote!"

Now, I just tell people he's a Beezlepup. True conversation at a local coffee shop...

"Well, look at him! He's a cutie! What kind of dog is he?"
    'He's a Shikoku."
    "Bless you," Laughter ensues. "He's a what?"
    "Beezlepup."
    "Oh, that's what he is!" Turns to husband. "George, I think that's what the neighbors had."
  • JessicaRabbitJessicaRabbit
    People like that should not be allowed to reproduce.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • KaddyKaddy
    LOL Jessica... I agree!
  • okironokiron
    Oh man Michelle, long time no see! How have you been???
    -Rina
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Goodness... People need to clean their ears out. A lady brought a 130 lb male "husky mix" aka strongly appeared to be wolf hybrid, into the clinic to ask us if we could DNA test for the wolf in him and how we dealt with neighbors and police, as he was purchased from a sled dog breeder in Alaska. She said she wanted to come in and ask us because she saw we had foxes as pets! (Ike, Beebe, Hattie and Sheba-the clinic Shibas). I told her I had pedigrees for them which showed that they were a certain breed, which she didn't have, so she was responisble for keeping him secure. This was just after he quarreled with a dog comming into the clinic. He ran up to Ike who was behind the counter to sniff and she goes, "Oh, he loves small dogs! He's wearing a pinch collar, so that means he won't bite." I was already standing between them but grabbed him by the head and proceeded to show them the door at that point.Hokusei Kashinoki Hokkaido and Shiba Inu
  • asiaasia
    Oh wow Lindsay!
  • CaliaCalia
    How the heck is a collar supposed to prevent biting, jeez some people really need a lobotomy to improve their intelligence...

Not shiba related, but when my mother was carrying her chihuahua (who weighs 4lbs), some woman came up to her asking what breed it was...dumbfounded, my mother replied, "oh, she's a miniature Great Dane" Oddly enough, the woman actually believed her and started whispering to other people about how astounding it was to breed a Dane s small.
  • sunyatasunyata
    LOL! Miniature Great Dane. THAT is awesome. :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
  • WrylyBrindleWrylyBrindle
    I have been asked more than twice if my big all-brindle dogs are hyenas. I mean, in the age of The Daily Coyote anything is possible, but REALLY now- who keeps HYENAS?

The finalists for Most Memorable Comments Regarding Chrys' Dogs are:

runner up: a teenaged guy met Reilly in PetSmart and was completely captivated: "She has such cool designs all over her!" as if I tattooed her stripes on.

and the winner: a preschooler with his mom we met while hiking Rei and Sage up Mt Greylock: "Mom, these dogs are like POLICE dogs- they LOOK scary but they are actually really NICE!" I was so proud! :)
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    hyenas! nice!
    shibas, beagles & more!
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    My Favorite is when people ask me "Is that a dog!?!?!"

What the hell do you think it is people? Oh right, a fox.
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    A pinch collar=no bite? In what planet?

Some people shouldn't be allowed to breed deeply, because that level of stupidity has to be air borne contagious.
    With my Malinois, Lynx, I've gotten looks like:
    ...a Coyote
    ...a Hyena
    ...a Jackel

• JessicaRabbitJessicaRabbit
    When we brought Himiko home my neighbor asked if she was a cat.
    Fuzzy Gang Signature
  • Honey's momHoney's mom
    LOL When I showed my family pictures of the day we brought Honey home they saw this picture and thought she was a cat. (I have to admit, since you cant see her face......it DOES kinda look like a cat. ahha)
  • KaddyKaddy
    Wow Honey really does look like a cat in that picture!!
  • SayaSaya
    Yeah she does look like a kitty in that picture such a fluffy looking dog.
    Nicole, 7year old Bella(Boxer), and 7year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Honey's momHoney's mom
    Sigh.......I miss those days. I can't believe how fast the time has passed. :(
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    wow, I thought she was a cat for a second! That's crazy!
  • RyuRyu
    Tim just asked "Is that a cat?" when we got to that pic of Honey LOL
  • When I was at the dog park last week I saw some large shiba looking dog from the other side of the park. We walked over and asked her what kind of dog she had. She gave us the whole "It's a hunting dog" brush off. It actually a Jindo. I thought it was pretty funny to be on the other side of a BS line, because she probably gets sick of explaining what her dog is to people. Your dog is a what, a JENGA? Ohhh I love that game.
  • HeidiHeidi
    When I brought Tojo home, my niece and nephew (both toddlers) were pretty insistent that he was a cat, and thought I was playing some kind of trick on them. It's forgiveable, though, because they were just tots.

While Rakka was at the vet with all her surgery stuff, she was being really nippy when they had to take her stitches out or drain her wound, and a vet tech made a comment about how "this breed tends to act like that," and I said, "you have other shikoku patients?" at which point I think she realised that Rakka wasn't a husky and got kind of embarrassed.
  • oh it irks my nerves when people ask and then get nasty with the word "shiba inu"..not the i'm sorry can you repeat that but a clear "what?! huh?? what is that?! a shiba what??"
    that's when i say it's a mini akita or walk away..this usually happens when i go out of town..sigh.. i have yet to declare her a fox, but i might do it next time to the arrogant ones and tell them yes, it's totally legal for me to have a fox LOL
  • shirapup32shirapup32
    When I first had Shira and took her out in the front yard my mother later told me that the neighbors all thought we had a new little white cat...Now people know she's a dog/fox/wolf/cat/polar bear cub. We were out getting ice cream yesterday with our Jug(Jack Russell-Pug mix) and Beagle pup friends Yogi and Chase. Everyone was admiring the pack of "puggle", beagle, and "OHHHH what is THAT!" puppies. I overheard one father boisterously telling his kids "Oh look at that little guy! Look at his tail! There's definitely some husky in him!" I looked over, smiled politely, and said "She's a Shiba Inu, actually." Then went back to enjoying my vanilla cone.
    Interestingly enough, there was one little boy who came up to me earlier in the evening and asked "is that a Shiba Inu?" Smart kid!
    Post edited by shirapup32 at 2009-07-07 19:52:46

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion