I Saw a Leonberger today! (The dog, not Rui!)

edited April 2009 in Other Breeds
I was driving to work this AM and there was a HUGE dog in the car in front of me. I didn't know what it was, but it was SO gorgeous. Then I noticed the I <3 Leonbergers bumper sticker! It was the first Leonberger I have ever seen and I am in LOVE! His coloring looked like Luytiy and he had such a sweet face! I snapped a quick photo at a red light. It was cool!

Comments

• edited November -1
    LOOOL!

Cool that you saw a Leo. They're beautiful dogs.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, that's neat.
  • edited November -1
    They really are good looking dogs, and HUGE.
  • edited November -1
    Well Rui, I didn't want people to think I ran off to Spain! LOL.
  • edited November -1
    The chances you'd see me in Spain are very very slim...hehehe
  • edited April 2009
    That is not true. If I was in Spain, I don't think I could resist the request for a Kuma meet up!
  • edited November -1
    *cough* Lol Rui lives in Portugal *cough*
  • edited November -1
    Hey Kristin,
    I think he's saying you wouldn't see him in Spain because he lives in Portugal. :)

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Oh right, I forgot :P

I have a serious case of the Monday's.

LOL.
  • edited November -1
    Lol it's ok, I'm the one who thought you were seriously addicted to a free arcade game :P
  • edited November -1
    That is unforgivable! ;-P
    You should be forced to eat Spanish bread and drink Spanish coffee not to forget anymore LOL
  • edited November -1
    By the way Rina - I am addicted to Zuma too.
  • edited November -1
    Mmm bread...I want some King's Hawaiian bread.
  • edited November -1
    Jamaican Hard Dough sounds good today, too.
  • edited November -1
    That's cool you saw a Leonberger! I seriously considered getting a Leo instead of COs. I felt their presence would be enough to scare off any predators... but I just didn't want to take the chance of getting one and then him not guarding enough. Our COs have kinda a "mission critical roll" around here.

When we had Luytiy at a rest area over the holidays a lady ran up to him... I jumped in front of L and said "HE ISN'T FRIENDLY!" (he was new enough to us at that point... I wasn't gonna take any chances as I didn't know if he was friendly or not with strangers). The lady PUSHED ME OUT OF THE WAY! She grabbed L's face and said "OMG, what is he? Is he one of those 'Leo Burgers'?"... I was like "Oh, a Leonberger??? No, he's a Caucasian Ovcharka. And I wouldn't be doing that to him if I were you." She turned white as ghost and jumped back and said "Oh, jeez, I was just so excited I didn't even think he might not be friendly." Luytiy looked at me like "She's stupid dad".

That was a close call. I now am extra cautious in public... since he does look a bit like a Leo and they tend to be pretty laid back. That could be a bad mistaken identity.

----
  • edited November -1
    LOL Brad! Im glad Luytiy thought she was stupid and not a snack!

It was awesome to see a dog I have read about but never thought I would see in person, even if it was just his head sticking out of the car!
  • edited November -1
    LOL! Brad that woman deserved a bite! (I'm joking)
  • edited November -1
    It could've been Rui in a leonberger suit...

We all know he turns into one during the full moon anyway. :) ~
  • edited November -1
    So true Osy... so true...

All this talk of bread makes me want a nice loaf of Challah!
  • edited November -1
    while i was in Europe, I saw a Leonberger/Dachshund Mix and it looked funny but soo cute! Unfortunately I don't have any pictures.
  • edited November -1
    That sounds awfully painful for a female Dachshund, and a Herculean feat for a male one.
  • edited November -1
    I love leonbergers. I might consider one to be a farm yard dog. I like that they have a history of life-saving because I have the kids. Not that I'd just leave the kids with the dog and hope for the best, but it'd be nice.
  • edited November -1
    @Leonberger, yeah I have no idea how they did that but I'm sure it wasn't exactly planned out ;)
  • edited November -1
    I saw 2 today!
  • edited November -1
    WOW LJ! I have never met a Leo in person, I would love to.

Speaking of Leos, check this gallery out. Stumbled on it today while I was supposed to be working.

----
  • edited November -1
    LJ - You have met Luytiy, from memory, do you think they were comparable in size (the Leo vs. Luytiy)?

----
  • edited November -1
    Aslan & Lucy - Lucy was 15 weeks and looked about Maasha's size when I met her. The pics I took are in the ATL meetup thread.