Ornery Shiba?

edited November 2007 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)

We have noticed in the last few months Niko has become more ornery.  She used to be so friendly, outgoing, accepting and not on guard all the time.  She has slowly started to change.  Barking a lot at everyone and everything, very aloof with strangers and has been very very VERY naughty.  I think that we have been very very spoiled and she has been very un shiba like and now she is just utilizing her shiba traits more.  I just dont know what has started the change and I think that is the only concern I have.  Also I think Chad is having a difficult time adjusting to her being more shiba and realizing she doesnt do it to just piss him off.  Now we knew all about what we were getting into and she has been very much a shiba but she is changing.  I guess I just need a soundboard...no complaints and I love my monster, just wondering if this is a phase or if my baby is getting to be an ornery old woman.

Thanks! 

Comments

• edited November 2007

As far as I can tell, Shibas work in phases, in some aspects. Sometimes Nemo will be well behaved for a few weeks at a time, then he destroys this or that, or really goes after one of the cats, or wont listen etc. On the whole he has mellowed a bit with people and new situations, but with other dogs he has become less tolerant and more nasty.

You can always go back to a regime of strict discipline to straighten her out. Nothing in life is free, tethered to mom, etc.

• edited November -1
    We do need to schedule with the trainer again, we have been concentrating on Sasha lately cause Niko has been doing well.  Time to go back to drawing board, thanks for the common sense I was lacking by being in the midst of it.
  • edited November -1
    How old is Niko?
  • edited November -1
    She turned 2 on 9/12
  • edited November -1
    Two years old is right around the time Maui started to develop all of his issues. It was like he turned 2 then became a nervous wreck. I wonder if the 2 year mark is a maturing point for Shibas.
  • edited November -1
    I'm not saying Niko is gonna develop issues like Maui, I'm just saying, if there is any accuracy in the 2 year theory, make sure you keep diligent in the socialization. Maui got attacked right around the 2 year mark too, that is what really made him loose it - he also started to develop his thunderstorm phobia around that time.
  • edited November 2007

Just like toddlers, shibas enter their "terrible twos".  That is why there are so many Shibas between 18-30 months that come into rescue.  They get naughty, they get rebellious, they become such little a-holes that it is almost intolerable at some points.  Training, obedience, rules, and cheap booze will help you move through this phase.  I think it is key to get a ton of exercise for them at this point too, long walks, runs, encouraging shiba 500's through the house, whatever it takes.  It's a constant struggle for being top dog.

You will make it through, you might just have a few frayed nerves and some gray hairs.

• edited November -1

I think because she has been so good we have slacked some.  Good reminder to NEVER let your guard down.  The kennel is going to become our best friend again, I think she can behave being free roaming and not destroy the house but I think she cant emotionally handle or cope with so much freedom. 

No booze for me but I am off to get some graham  crackers and frosting. Wink

• edited November 2007

The best way is to go back to a "Nothing In Life Is Free" way of living.  You want to go outside?  Sit.  You want your dinner? Down.  You want a snack, Short Stay.  Good Shiba.  You want to get out of your crate?  Down.   "Wait" is a fantastic way to teach some impulse control and increase the amount of control you have over resources like getting out of the crate or going outside or even getting out of the car.  Exercise is also really important.  Bored Shibas are creative Shibas and most creative Shibas are bad Shibas. 

A lot of it is just being a benevolent leader.  Shibas are very aware of who is boss and some really REALLY pay attention.  If they can get away with trying to take control of the house, they will try. 

• edited November -1
    They will also stage a rebellion is they feel they are not being treated fairly - it's a balance.  
  • edited November -1

Be a leader, but be fair and consistent. Always with the ''black and white''.

I think that you will be okay, though I don't know about Chad, lol -very big grin-. Keep us posted. It is a challenge (more so on patience and tolerance) but this is the ''fun'' part -smirks-.

• edited November -1
    Oh yeah - as to the terrible twos, Tojo was the exact opposite.  At two years of age he calmed right down.  He may have just gone through this early, though, because around 18 months he was a huge brat and then around 2 years, he just calmed right down.  It was like night and day, I couldn't believe it.  He stopped chewing stuff he wasn't supposed to, doing things deliberately to get attention, and being pushy and just sort of accepted his role.  His breeder says almost all the puppies she sells do the same thing, so perhaps genetics play a role.
  • edited November -1

Moto is just over 18monthes and has been going through quite a rebellious phase. I tightened his training. Didn't let him pull anything. And now he is quite the love. He has his bouts where he can be a bit of a punk but he is a shiba.

Love and discipline will get you both through it. 

• edited November -1

So my shiba who has NEVER eaten, chewed or demolished our clothes (other than puppy biting) ate Chads socks the other night.  She ran away and also woke me up with shiba screams and growls.  She also is starting to huff and bark for no reason (that I know) incessantly. I love her to death!

I think that another reason she may be expressing the shiba defiance and mojo is because I have gotten a new job and working more hours.  They are back in the kennels during the day and has so much energy to burn off.  Chad's schedule has changed been changing and I think Niko isnt handling changes in her routine well.  I hate the idea that things we cant control is affecting her.  She needs to get her annual vaccines next week and I hope to be able to take her to daycare on the days that I work crazy hours and Chad is gone.  Any other suggestions to keep a shiba brain busy while suffering the human schedule?  I would love to keep her out of the Kennel during the day but I am concerned that is a part of the problem with too much freedom....

UGH!  There are so many things that could be affecting her and I know so many ways to handle it but I dont know what is best....Our trainer has changed his hours and they dont work with mine now....Frown

Im just a torn mommy wanting to make my baby happy!!!!

On another note Sasha (rottie/pit) is turning into a shiba!!  She is getting jealous, taking everything away (toys) and being more active in "shiba" play, and getting the mine mine mine attitude....

• edited November -1

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the issues are stemming from the changing schedule.  Dogs like routine, and it sounds like hers has been turned on it's head.  Is it possible for you to get up earlier to take her on a long walk/run before you leave, try to drain her energy?  She will probably need long walk when you or Chad gets home from work too. 

It is tough to keep a young Shibas mind from running wild when it isn't stimulated enough. 

• edited November -1

I think with process of elimination, like you said, change in routine.  We went to the park this weekend and she was exhausted!  She did wake me up early though because she was thirsty.  Chad is home now for about 2 weeks so that should help.

She went in the little dog park for the first time and HATED it.  She was so bored and stared at the big dog park.  We brought her back over and off she was.  Had about 12 pits chasing her.  Sasha got violated pretty bad so that was interesting.... 

This discussion has been closed.