Kona, our Kai Ken pup, was born 2 weeks ago!

edited November 2007 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)

That's right people - we are that crazy! Kona represents the end of my plans for a 3 dog mushing team. Next, we move to Taos on the 28th of this month where there is snow, then begin our training (well, I guess I need to wait till they are a little older Wink)!

I plan to fill-in for Santa for cold weather terrestrial deliveries - only using dogs not reindeer... ok that was a stupid joke. Embarassed

Kona is one of these males:

Comments

• edited November -1
    OMG I WANT ONE!!!  Of course after the Akita and Shikoku.  Do you have plans to breed him?
  • edited November -1

maybe - depends on his temperament - and if I even like Kai Ken as much as I do Shikoku. Any breeding for Jen and I (our dogs that is) is atleast 3 years out.

• edited November -1
    Congratulations. You are a LITTLE crazy. But then again, I am building a kennel to rescue more dogs so I really can't point any fingers.
  • edited November -1
    For the record - your signature is much longer than ours.  Tongue out (j/k)
  • edited November -1

exactly.

I could never point fingers.

But I sure can spot a kindred spirit, 

• edited November 2007

Congrats Brad! He is a cute little bugger!~You will be so happy with him! Kai's personaily is probably about the same as an Akita, more calm, cool and collective and im pretty sure with all the females in the house you need one like that! Laughing Make sure you update us with pictures when you get him, not that I need to remind you.Tongue out When do you go pick him up??

By the way, Kenjis ears are now up! He is about 5 months or so, so we'll see how long it takes your little guys in comparison. Cant wait to see pictures of him!

• edited November -1

Hi Jamie! We should get him right around x-mas time. We are really excited - tho a little over whelmed with everything that's going on (moving, Loa, etc.). No worries tho, you know I will spam you guys with pictures.

Kenji looks great! He is really cute. His coat is very shiny!

----

What do you guys think - is Kona too feminine of a name for a male Kai?

• edited November -1
    I did assume Kona was a female. It is a pleasant coffee bean. But the pup looks like a boy so they should balance eachother out.
  • edited November -1
    I thought Kona was a male sounding name but then again my female is named Niko....
  • edited November -1
    Damn this Hawaiian themed naming convention! Hmmmm, I dunno what to do - change it or not? I had a list of Hawaiian names we were considering for him... let me look for it...
  • edited November -1

Where are you moving again? What state?

SIX dogs???!!! Wow. You do know you are going to have a bunch of adolescents all at one time, right? OMG. I can't imagine, but congrats! What cute puppies!

• edited November -1

Congrats on the pup.  A phrase that Dennis Miller once used (when he was kind of funny and not a right wing tool) comes to mind.  He said it about children but I think it will still apply, "You can have nice things, or you can have kids (4 adolescent dogs), you can't have both."

Good luck with not having everything destroyed, but even if it is, it will be worth it.  Your dogs always look happy and healthy in the videos, this little Kai is going to a good home.

Do any of your friends/family, think you're not insane?

• edited November -1

We are moving to Taos, New Mexico - it's at the top of New Mexico close to Colorado - population 9k. Taos is a really interesting place, it's an artist's community. There is a nice diversity and tolerance in the town. Out of all the places we looked at relocating too, Taos seemed to be the most open and diverse place. It's also a Ski resort town. We are under contract on a house right now. The house sits on 2.5 acres and is in the mesa area of Taos, close to the gorge. We are SUPER stoked!

Jen and I are moving to escape the general ultra-materialistic vibe that thrives here in the Atlanta area. I'm sick of it.

As for the adolescents thing - yea we have thought about that. It worries us a bit, but we figure we will just get it all out of the way at once instead of dragging it out. Expect us to be on the forum venting a lot during that time. The thing that worries me wore is how horribly depressing our life may get in about 12 - 15 years.  :c(

YES - ALL of our friends and family think we are crazy. I have stopped talking about our dog plans with my friends because I get so sick of the standard "wet blanket" responses I get from all of them. They also make us feel pretty stupid for wanting to move to such a small town... but we don't really care what others think about us. I just get sick of hearing the negativity.

• edited November -1

Atlanta isn't my sort of place, either. Too congested. Not dog friendly enough. We want to move to N.C. someday.

Sounds like a nice place. Small towns can be real nice. I'd prefer a small town over city life any day.

• edited November 2007

Yay! Congrats on the Kai ken. I look forward towards your spamming of pics. Kona can be for both boys and girls, I think.

Kenji is adorable. He has got such an innocent expression.

-----------

Good luck with the move, it sounds like a neat place. I also prefer a small town rather then the city life (I live in the subburds - sp???).

One of these days, I might actually make my move out of California into Oregon. I want to have ''the woods'' in my backyard.

Someday...

• edited November -1

Paul and I love New Mexico and still would like to relocate there.  We are planning another visit in late winter. You and Jen are young and if you guys don't make this move you will always ask yourselves "why not?".  As to six dogs.. (yikes)......that's your business....no one elses.   Taos is beautiful country. And to have found 2.5 acres, wow!!!

• edited November -1
    Wikipedia says that Julia Roberts lives in Taos.  Anyway... congrats on the pup!  Kona sounds like it could be a boy or a girl to me.  Just out of curiosity - why the Hawaiian theme?  
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, what inspired a Hawaiian theme?
  • edited November 2007

I'm a surfer, and I freaking LOVE Hawaii! We would be moving there if it wasn't for one line in my work contract that forces me to keep the same hours as the main office of my company (9 - 5 EST)... I would be waking up at like 3 or 4 am everyday if I lived in Hawaii and worked for the same company I work for now. I'm not down w/ that at all. Plus the dogs would be to hot in Hawaii... anyway, to answer your question...

When we got Maui he just reminded me of a little blond surfer, so we named him after my favorite surf place - Maui (actually I think my favorite surf spot is Steamers Lane in Santa Cruz, CA). Then we got Kaia and thought  we would name her something Hawaiian too... Kaia means "the sea" in Hawaiian (*see story below for more info). Then we got Ahi, and we were like... jeezz... should we do another Hawaiian name??? We went with Ahi because it means "red" in Hawaiian, and Ahi was supposed to be a red sesame - but then we couldn't get a red sesame girl so we went with a black sesame girl but kept the name (Ahi has a red head anyway). Now it's just spiraled out of control and I don't want to break the theme. hahaha. Hawaiian names and words have so many syllables that it's become very hard to find a good short dog name. I really wanted to name Hilo "Kaduna" (like The Big Kaduna), but I felt it was too difficult to say quickly - so we went with Hilo.

*Kaia means "the sea", and it is said that the god of Hawaii gave "the sea" to his son as a gift, his sons name was Maui. We got Kaia for Maui, because he needed a buddy (and we wanted another Shiba). I still think the best thing we have ever done was adopt Kaia, Maui and Kaia are the closes of friends - they are BFFs.

----

Dorothy - If you guys go to Taos let us know, we can meet up!  (same applies to any of you!)

----

As for the Julia Roberts thing, I read that too - I dunno how true it is tho... but I also have heard that Donald Rumsfeld(sp?) has a place there too. lol

There have been a lot of famous writes that lived in Taos to write their main work(s), there is a large community of writers and musicians in Taos... it's also one of the largest art exporters in the US... it's a cool place.

The main reason for the move tho, to be honest, is SNOWBOARDING!  :c)

• edited November -1

My sister lives in Lahaina Maui. She says living there takes alot of joy out of Hawaii. But then again she can have a miserable time anywhere.

New Mexico is awesome. You should be far enough north that it won't be too big a deal but the rattlesnakes are rough out there please be careful. But everything else is awesome in NM.

Jay and the pups and I will be driving out to pick up our puppy when she is born, but for some reason I have a feeling Taos would be smidge out of the way on our way to British ColumbiaWink

But those of you up north, I will be announcing our itinerary when we get closer to puppy time, you will have to let me know whats cool to see and if you want a puppy playdate. 

• edited November -1

I have heard Hawaii is not as fun to live in as it is to visit - but I think tht's probably relative.

The cool thing about Taos is it's at 7000 feet, so there are not rattle snakes (or at least very very few) or scorpions - there are tarantulas tho.

Well if you guys do decide to check out Taos on the way to BC (it would be out of the way for you) we would love yto have you! I'm sure the pups would love the visit as well.  :c)

• edited November -1

*pouting because Brad, Jen and the pack are moving*

Yeah, yay, you are moving...whoopee...Cry

• edited November -1

Brad and Jen drove through Lethbridge (city close to me) when they went to BC.  Well, Brad didn't say Lethbridge by name, but he described how he got to BC and there are only so many ways to cross the Rockies once you're in Canada.  He almost certainly took Crowsnest Trail (or the Trans Canada, but that's a bit out of the way).  Anyway... if you go the same route, we'd love to meet up with you!  I'm afraid there's not much to do in Lethbridge, although there are the Japanese Gardens, which may be of interest to someone with a nihon ken.   

• edited December 2007
    Got some new pics of Kona yesterday! He is 5.5 weeks now - we don't know which one we will choose yet but we are leaning towards the larger one.
  • edited November -1
    on a side note - as we did with Loa - we sent a bag of Orijen puppy to the breeder for her to start him (both the 'top pick' males) on it. If you guys are going to be getting a pup I highly recommend this. It made the transition for Loa very easy on her and she came to us looking GREAT. I expect the same w/ Kona.
  • edited December 2007

Hello,

I could not believe it I was searching for information about the Kai Ken breed and I saw your picture of the pups and something looked so familiar. I pulled up the picture of the puppies that Marian had sent me of my new puppy, the black puppies in my picture looked the same as the pictures of yours plus it was the same blanket that the puppies were on and the person in the background is wearing the same shirt. I had found a picture of my new puppy’s brother. I was so excited I tried to join the forum and I emailed Marian to ask where the other puppies were going to live. She did say one of the males are going to New Mexico and after reading your entries I am thinking I did find my new puppy’s brother.

I am wondering if you saw the new video that Marian has on her website of the puppies, they are so darn cute.

• edited November -1
    wow! thats a coincidence!
  • edited November -1
    Yup, you found kin!  Congrats on your pup and welcome to the forum!
  • edited November -1

Hi festerfairy - Welcome to the forum!

That's a crazy coincidence! Are you getting a female of male? All of the pups in that litter are so cute!

I have not seen the new video - I'll go check it out right now...

Rachael - festerfairy found Kai Ken kin. lol

• edited November -1

festerfairy, are you are keen to have found your kai ken's kin.  (Hey, I'm just trying to extend the joke a bit!

Welcome to the forum!