Space's Space: 9/2 :(

edited March 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Hey everyone,

I just brought home my boy Space from Niji's Shibas in NJ.

So far so good! He was absolutely silent on the whole ride back to Baltimore. He's been very well behaved. I feel lucky that I've been able to sleep through the first two nights with him in his crate right next to my bed.

He's eating is a bit sporadic. I've been trying to put his food in kong toys and sterilized bones, so that he develops a positive relationship with those toys. Unfortunately, instead of biting the toys for food, he just licks, then I have to shake the toys to get the food out for him.

He already knows fetch! He knew it on the first attempt, must be hardwired in his doggie brain.

His bathroom schedule is also pretty sporadic. He's only pooped once in the two days I've had him. He's also had 2 peeing accidents. One of which 10 minutes or so after I took him out! Oh well, he'll get it.

And without further adieu, here's some spam!
What do you think? Will he turn out red or sesame?

And in case you missed my introduction thread with some spam of even younger Space

That's all for now!

Comments

• edited November -1
    OMG That is one cute puppy! He will probably keep some sesame in him. Miso who is really all red barely had any black in him as a pup.

Cute Cute Cute! I love the name Space too!
  • edited November -1
    cute overload!! Congrats! You must be so happy to have him home! Great name, too!

Its soo hard to tell with shiba pups, but he'll probably maintain some black ticking here and there, my male was probably that dark as a pup (we got him at 1y/o) and gets really dark right before he blows his coat. Genetic sesame.
  • edited November -1
    Congrats on bringing your little guy home! He is adorable.

As for the toys... We usually just put treats into the kongs, like frozen peanut butter. Food, they usually are better off eating out of a bowl. My gals would rather lick stuff out of the kong than try and shake stuff out!
  • edited November -1
    Beautiful boy and my what a long tongue for a little dog (LOL).

Since you are in Baltimore...keep in mind when he starts pooping be sure to pick up .....I think
    there is some ridiculous fine if you don't ...like $1000.

Here's the link....
    http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/features/mutts/blog/2009/03/1000_for_poop.html

Snf
  • edited November -1
    What a cutie Space is
  • edited November -1
    What a handsome little guy!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! He is super cute!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats...have fun!!!
  • edited November -1
    Love the 1st pic!
  • edited November -1
    He's very devilishly cute! His eyebrows make him look like a mischeivous fellow and he's always scheming and up to no good! If it's any consolation, his mask should fade away as he ages. However, his markings look a lot like Ichi's. He'll probably have some hints of black pepper on his red coat when he gets older. Congratulations on the little dude! Love the name!

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Congrats on bringing him home! Enjoy his relative quiet while it lasts.... Bwaaahahahahahahahaha. :-)

As for his color, he looks a lot like Joey did at that age and Joey is without a doubt a red. It is really tough to tell with Shiba pups, they change a lot.
  • edited November -1
    congratulations mike, Space was such a cool little guy when we met him, he was really full of energy and a lot of fun. Make sure to post lots of spam, I'd like to see how Katsu's brother grows up.
  • edited November -1
    Aww. super cute pup!! yep... bathroom accidents will happen at that age. our little girl had a few but they catch on quickly. But sounds lucky you have had quiet nights of sleep!
  • edited November -1
    Adorable! Thanks for sharing the pics of space, and have loads of fun! That's what doggies are for!
  • edited November -1
    He is so cute. I'm sure he will bring you loads of fun!!! :)
  • edited November -1
    He is soooooooooooooooooooo adorable!!! Thanks for the great pix.
  • edited November -1
    I love fuzzy Space!!! So cute :o)
  • edited November -1
    Looks like Sadie did as a pup, she is a genetic sesame. SOOOO cute!!!
  • edited November -1
    too adorable! congrats on the pup!
  • edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the kind words!

I have a question about the Lepto vaccine. My breeder seems convinced that the Lepto vaccine can kill a Shiba. My vet says otherwise and warns me of the dangers of a unvaccinated dog living in the city. Apparently Lepto is often carried by rats and mice. My vet will respect my decision to pass on the vaccine but is not in agreeance.

What do you all think? Have you heard of Lepto being dangerous before?

Also a quick update on Space. He's doing great. He's learned sit (mostly). He is a bit of trouble in potty training, however, because he never goes! I take him out like every hour and he just sits around or wants to tear up weeds. Right now (1 o'clock) he's resting next to me and hasn't peed since midnight last night and hasn't pooped since around 1 o'clock yesterday! He doesn't drink as much as I would think he would and he's not too fond of digging into kongs for his food. If I shake the kong and food falls out he'll sometimes eat it. I'm wondering if I should skip the whole food in the kong thing. I'd really rather not, as I'd like him to stay busy all day trying to get food out.

Lastly, it seems some of you think he may turn out sesame. Of course I would still love him, though I was kinds hoping for a red. His parents and grandparents are all red!
  • edited November -1
    My dogs both got the Lepto vaccine, they are still alive and well!

More spam please?!?!?!?
  • edited November -1
    Mike,
    There are varying gradients of "red" before a dog is described a "red sesame" or even just a "sesame". If you do a search on this forum on "sesame" alone you'll see some discussions and debate over the classifications. It's very likely the darkest your dog will go is "red sesame" where he'll have some black guardhairs interspersed in his coat.

Are you free-feeding Space or timing his meals?

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    About the Lepto - its the most reactogenic of all vaccinations... meaning it doesn't prevent so much as react once infection begins, so your dog will get Lepto if its gonna get Lepto anyway - the presence of the vaccine helps fight it more efficiently than if you were not vaccinated.

Lepto also protects only one year. You will have to keep revaccinating, or treat if infected.

Its considered a non-core vaccine (as are bordetella and lymes) - we no longer do the Lepto, because Kitsu got a nice permanent bump from the injection site as a reaction to the vaccine.
    If you can keep him from drinking stagnant water and other places infected wild animal urine would be, maybe thats an option for now instead of the vaccine. Ultimately, weigh the risks and its your call.
    http://www.canismajor.com/dog/disease1.html#Lept
  • edited April 2009
    I try to give him three small meals a day and what he doesn't finish by next meal time is thrown into the new meal's mix

Edit: I'm sorry thats not really true.

The breeder told me I should feed them 3 times a day. In the morning I give him some, and what he doesn't eat immediately I shove into a kong toy. Then I basically wait to feed him again until he eats all his kong toy food, which he doesn't really do unless I shake it out for him, and sometimes he doesn't even eat the shaken out food. I'll feed him again probably around 4, cause thats when it seems he's willing to eat again. I'll do the same with the leftovers, then feed him a small meal again at like 9 if he's hungry.

However its 6:00 right now. I fed him at 9 AM, and there's a bowl of food here that he won't eat when I put him in front of it. I don't get it...
  • edited November -1
    what kind of food are you giving him?
  • edited November -1
    I'm giving him almost the same exact food that Alyssa (the breeder) was giving.

Its about 2 teaspoons Abady puppy growth
    2 teaspoons of wellness just for puppies
    about 3-4 teaspoons of granulated abady stress dry
    and a teaspoon of sardine fish oil

As far as I know, Alyssa was using a slightly different fish oil, and I believe was also throwing some ground beef, chicken, or turkey in the mix as well.

Its so weird, I'm a bit worried. He seems otherwise happy. Just doesn't eat much and consequently go to the bathroom.

He hasn't had a full meal since 9 AM, and I just put a bowl of food in front of him and he didn't want it!
  • edited November -1
    Sorry to be a pain, but I have a small update. I just picked him up and hand fed him all the food and he ate it right up. So odd.
  • edited November -1
    You are not a pain. I'm sure you are very worried and I'm also sure someone will help you! : )
    I wish I could help...
  • edited November -1
    Keiko has always been weird about eating (and many many other things). Some days she'll finish both of her meals, and other days she'll leave a bowl untouched or only eat half of a bowl. She's a healthy weight and it certainly doesn't seem to be affecting her energy level ;o) I'm not sure that it's 'normal' but it's what we consider normal for her.

I also did the hand feed thing for a while because I was worried... I think the only reason she was willing to everything out of my hand is that she thought of it as a special treat. I could be wrong though!
  • edited November -1
    Mike,

I completely understand your concern. When I brought Joey home from the breeder, I was emotionally drained and he was too. I bounced back pretty quickly since I got back into my normal routine, but Joey's universe had been turned on its head. Space is going through the same thing right now. He was taken from his mother and siblings by a strange man and brought to a place with strange smells and sounds and sights. He's stressed. He will probably be stressed for another few days and you won't really start to see his personality for a few weeks after that.

I know how worrying it can be with a new puppy, but RELAX! Space can tell that your worried about him and it won't help him calm down. It's only been a few days, so it isn't surprising his appetite isn't there yet. Joey took a week before he started eating regularly, and even then he would skip meals occasionally and almost always left food in the bowl.

If Space hasn't begun eating more by Saturday, then you have my permission to be concerned. Until then, relax and enjoy your quiet puppy while it lasts...the terror in him will be there before you know it. ;-)
This discussion has been closed.