Not all pies are for eating!

edited November 2007 in Shikoku Ken (四国犬)
While out walking with the pups the other day, I noticed Rakka chewing on something and I thought, oh great... could be anything.  So I go to inspect and she is snacking on a dried up cow pie!  The pasture had been rented out to beef cattle before we moved in and they had left plentiful evidence.  Blech.  After that, when she found one, she'd just carry it around like a frisbee until I told her to 'drop it' at which point she would just drop it and act like nothing had happened.  "Me?  Drop it?  Drop what?  I hope you don't mean that cow pie because I had nothing to do with that."

Comments

• edited November -1

HAHAHAHA

Moto does the exact same thing 

• edited November -1
    mmmmm, yummy. Ahi went through a phase of "tasting" other dog's poo - gross. She has stopped it tho, thank god.
  • edited November 2007
    Nemo got into eating his own poop at the dog park for a couple weeks one time. Tried some powder on his food and that worked, hasn't done it since. Other than that, he has no interest in eating poop. However anything that has fallen out of a garbage can and rotting in the grass for who knows how long, that's good stuff.
  • edited November -1
    For about 2 weeks after Moto drank the bottle of fish oil and got fed all the pumpkin, if he was at the dog park and I wasn't close enough to stop him, he would GOBBLE up his poop. Oh god it was beyond disgusting. And frankly a little embarrassing. Now enough time has passed that his poop appears to not smell as delicious as before (THANK HEAVENS)
  • edited November -1

He drank a bottle of fish oil?  No wonder he was eating his poop, it must have been almost like canned sardines with pumpkin.

Nemo also doesn't "leave it" when I tell him too.  Instead he starts chewing really fast and running around at the end of his leash so I can't grab him and take anything out of his mouth.  Yes I trained my dog to eat faster when I say leave it, don't ask me how though.

• edited November -1
    Rakka leaves the cow pies alone now... although sometimes I see her trying to sneak over to one and I tell her to "leave it" and she does.  
  • edited November -1
    "Drop it" does mean run faster and play keep away.
  • edited November -1

<--- what Rachael said.

Instead I say, ''Let me see it'' <-- then I have to give it back to her (she brought it to me in trust) OR exchange it for something much better and more exciting --> like food or a ball.