Had animal cops called on us...

edited November 2007 in Other Breeds

I was at the park with Niko, Sasha and Nina and her rottie King.  King is a gentle giant and very loud.  IT is a dog park...you expect dogs to play and bark right?  There was a guy there with a rottie puppy and King was playing with him.  The owner was fine with it but there was another group there that kept telling king to stop and no and to get away.  Not nevermind they had to raggedy looking dogs that were fighting and scaring the other dogs.  They also were very nervous about Sasha and she was hiding and staying away from them.  Nina and I were trying to educate them on the breeds and on King.  He thinks he is a 100 pound puppy and plays so well with puppies and little dogs.  They started getting real feisty and we were getting really defensive about the dogs.  The guy yelled at King and Nina asked him to not treat her dog like that and he was upset because he was sitting on the ground and King was barking near him.  When they left (with their mean fighting dogs) they told everyone that our dogs will attack them and their dogs and scared everyone away.  About 45 minutes later the cops show up because there were 2 rotts fighting all the other dogs.  There was one lady there who was there the whole time and told them that there was no problem.  King went up and licked the officers and Sasha was hiding behind me.  They said "yeah they look real vicious"...Again, the point made that dogs play and bark in a DOG PARK!  It was crazy!!  THIS is why these breeds are being banned across the board.  I love that the cops showed up, I just feel bad that they wasted their time.  I just wish people who keep an open mind or would just not be a part of the dog community because they are so ignorant.

Please tell me what dogs are supposed to do at the park??

Ok, im done for now...stepping down off of my soap box. 

Comments

• edited November -1
    That's really ridiculous! I'm sorry poor king got racially profiled like that! With all the media attention in the past these types of dogs are just going to be more and more targeted, it's sad.
  • edited November -1

Rachael- I am glad that you at least had cool cops come to the scene. Could you imagine if they didn't like dogs? Some people really do just kind of suck don't they?

I just had an experience where I was walking Moto, Jay had Piglet. A woman passes me and then jumps off the sidewalk and and says to her friend "Watch out that dog (meaning Piggy) might bite you"

I turn around, and say "pardon me madam, but I feel you should be made aware that I am much more likely to bite you than piglet. That my cute little shiba is much more likely to bite you than piglet. And that you are prejudiced and should be ashamed of yourself"

Keep in mind this is in the very wealthy pseudo liberal East Side of Providence. Everyone pretends that they are highly evolved, so long as they don't have to interact with anyone who has darker skin, less money, or even a different opinion then them. She expressed her horror at being told she was prejudiced. I explained that my big fat dog (who was wearing a pink sweater at the time) is afraid of her own shadow and wants nothing more than to be loved. And how quick she was to write off a perfectly sweet dog because of her appearance, and that it was because of people like her that people pets are being taken from their homes and slaughtered because of their lineage (this is happening in Colorado as we speak).

Then I told her that perhaps she should learn to ask questions and attempt to learn something before she forms an opinion, especially since her instincts are so clearly flawed. And that she best stop judging books by their covers because she wouldn't want to spend her ENTIRE life being wrong.

I ran into her an hour later (of course) at which point she recoiled from Moto. Again I stopped her. "You are not very good at listening. I was making a point about the big dog. Now just pet my dogs already." At which point she actually did. Piglet licked her ( I only wish I could be as tolerant, loving and forgiving as she is).

Could someone please just go and wave the magic wand of enlightenment and tolerance over everyone already? Or even create a "magic wand of enlightenment and tolerance".

• edited November -1

Brad-Thanks, that is exactly my point.  It is going to be another park we cant go to.  They are trying to ban pits and rotts.  There was a pit attack at a meetup a few weeks ago.  Someone told another person to not get in the dogs face and they did... 

I am still reeling from it.  I need to just start carrying around informational books to hand out.  Another guy at the park proceeded to tell me that She needed to have her tail docked and she wasnt cute, he didnt like it and he wouldnt stop.  She has a massive thick tail and just because she has the color or a rottie and is 1/2 rottie does not mean that she has to fit the standards.  UGH!

Jessica-Did piglet have her panties on with her pink sweater??  I want pics!!!! 

• edited November -1
    I've seen some things like this happen at the dog park, neve resulting in a call to the police though.  Some people just refuse to actually listen to people when they try to tell them something.  I have a friend with a Samoyed who is very bouncy and energetic, but he would never hurt anyone.  People get so freaked out though and always start yelling about how he is being aggressive.  There should be Spitz only dog parks where they can play like crazy, other dogs who accept the Spitz style of play would be welcomed.
  • edited November -1
    People like that deserve a big, fat eyeroll.
  • edited November -1
    I read the last comment like "People like that deserve a big, fat eggroll" and was severely confused.
  • edited November -1
    LMAO!  I guess that would be a little confusing!
  • edited November -1
    lol!
  • edited November -1
    A poison eggroll.