Indy goes fishing (Updated 4/27/09)

edited March 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Say hello to Indy.

Photobucket

Yes, a dog named after a man, named after a dog.

These pics are from my first visit to the breeder when I picked him out. I eventually went to look for a traditional red shiba, but this little sesame stole my heart. It was almost immediate that I knew he was the one.

Photobucket

As soon as I got there he waddled over and crawled into my lap.

Photobucket

I love how we locked eyes there. I spent almost four months trying to find the right breeder. I had just gotten off the phone with telling a breeder that I wouldn't be buying from them and about at wit's end when a friend of mine told me she had heard of a local Shiba breeder. Local! I haven't even visited a breeder in PA at this point. So I called and set up a date to come visit. I talked to the breeder for at least a half hour explaining what I was looking for, asked her questions etc. It felt like we were on the same page about these dogs. Well during my "visit" I fell for Indy, I'm sure you all know when you go to visit a breeder and you just meet that dog that you know is the one for you?

He is about 5 weeks there. I went back about a week and a half later to visit and took these pictures. He is starting to lose some of that baby pudge already.

This is him with his mother Simba, who is a sweetheart. While I was visiting Indy she kept trying to sit on my lap. What a sweetheart.
Photobucket

I wish that wasn't so blurry :(

Photobucket

And my current desktop wallpaper :)

Photobucket

I'm going to visit again this Monday. It'll be my last visit before I pick him up the 27th. And without getting to sappy or goofy, it is one odd coincidence that after four months of searching for a breeder I felt I could trust I find one local, relatively cheap, and March 27th is when I'm picking him up. March 27th 2008 was the worst day of my life. 2009 it will be the best.

I already have his crate ready to go, some toys, leash, collar and ID tag etc. All I need now is the pup! I hope to spam you all with pics as he grows.

And a big thank you to everyone that posted in my intro thread here. You all made me question to make sure I was ready for this, gave me incredible advice about looking for the right breeder and were all so helpful and friendly. Thank you!

Comments

• edited November -1
    congrats on the little guy, he's adorable. keep us posted with tons of spam!
  • edited November -1
    LOL He's SOOOO cute! LOVE the name too btw! Cant wait for more pics!!!!
  • edited November -1
    very cute!
  • edited November -1
    Very cute! Congrats!
  • edited November -1
    Very cute , awesome and congrats!
  • edited November -1
    What a cutie! Congratulations, and props for picking an EXCELLENT name!!
  • edited November -1
    he is def. super cute! congrats!
  • edited November -1
    holy adorable fluff-balls batman! :D
  • edited November -1
    Oh man he is just too much. So cute! <3
  • edited November -1
    Awww. great pictures!
  • edited November -1
    thanks gang! I'll have more pics tomorrow night. I bought him his first Kong toy yesterday. His breeder provided a collar but I'm probably going to replace it with a nice leather collar. The closer it gets the worse the wait becomes! Ah!
  • edited November -1
    Cute pup! I like the name "Indiana" too, cool!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! He is super cute!
  • edited November -1
    SOOO cute!!! Love that baby pudge!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats, you and Indiana are in for some adventures over the next few years.
  • edited November -1
    I sure hope so Brandon. He better be up for being our new hiking companion. Or should I say, we be ready to be his hiking companion. Something tells me he'll have a little more get up and go than we will haha.

Speaking of which, for those of you that live in hunter heavy areas do you dress your dogs in safety orange? I have a safety orange bandana but I've been looking for a bright colored pack if nothing else to give off the DON'T SHOOT ME I'M A PET look. I would hope they would recognize 1. that is a dog 2. that is not a coyote, fox, or wolf, 3. notice the human(s) walking with it, but in my area...not the brightest bunch of hunters.
  • edited November -1
    That second picture makes me melt!
  • edited November -1
    If you are really concerned about hunters get a reflective safety vest for him. This one is from the PETCO website:

http://www.petco.com/product/106767/Remington-Reflective-Safety-Dog-Vest.aspx?&cm_ven=GoogleBase&cm_cat=Dog&cm_pla=Remington&cm_ite=839272&CAWELAID=253400142
  • edited November -1
    That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks. Better safe than sorry. I don't even want to think about what would happen if I didn't have one.
  • edited November -1
    Yeah and for 12 bucks why not. The only thing I see is you will have to cut a slit for your leash to hook to a harness, but again, it's only 12 bucks.
  • edited November -1
    I would also be afraid that hunters might mistake him for a fox. What a handsome guy indy is.
  • edited November -1
    Very cute......lot's of luck with your new puppy!!!
  • edited November -1
    Such a cutie can't wait to see pictures of him when you pick him up. =)
  • edited March 2009
    Just got back from my visit so here is some spam. The 27th is so far away :( As soon as I got there he ran over and started giving me kisses. Whenever I'd pick him up to hold him his brothers and sisters would start barking which seemed to make him nervous. As soon as I'd put him down he wanted to play "chew the camera" so some pictures didn't turn out. It is great being able to visit him and start building time with him before I take him home. And the dark areas of his face make him look so sad in some pictures! It is incredible! I can assure you, these pictures were inbetween him licking my face so he couldn't have been to upset.

Love this shot of him
    Photobucket
    Look at those ears!
    Photobucket
    "Willy! We...are going...to die! :(" haha
    Photobucket
    "oh hi is that your camera?"
    Photobucket
    "moooooom! not in front of my friends!"
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

He is definently NOT the runt of the litter. By far the biggest so far. His dad is a large Shiba, around 32'sh pounds if I remember correctly. I wish I got a shot looking straight down at him. He's got some pudge!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! So adorable! ~
  • edited November -1
    He's TOO cute!!!

When I look at baby pics of Keiko she looks 'sad' in them too... I think it's something about the eyes.

The white dot on his forehead is my favorite!!! :oD
  • edited November -1
    Met too Kaddy. I'm going to be so sad when he grows out of that white spot :(

And I hope it is just the eyes. I feel like I'm getting a real kid. I'm terrified he won't like me, or will be sick, etc. Then I see these pictures and wonder why he is so sad :( haha
  • edited November -1
    One of my girlfriends came over last night and met Sake for the first time and she asked me if she always looked so Sad...

I guess it's a Shiba puppy thing to look sad... I think it's Sake's way of getting more treats!
  • edited November -1
    Well it certainly got Indy more hugs so it must be working. Sly little fella.
  • edited November -1
    They need to practice looking sad so they can pull out that trick later so you wont kill them for eating a hole through your wall.
This discussion has been closed.