Heat

I have never had a an un-spayed female...until now. The day I picked up Piggy she began heat. UGH. Beyond gross.

Does anyone have experience with this?

How long does it last??

I can't find anything definitive. Most say 21 days, but does she bleed the whole time?

Also I spoke to one vet, and they said I have to wait a MONTH AFTER heat ends before I can spay her! REALLY?

I can't get her spayed until end of December?!?!

She is miserable. She is uncomfortable, all while trying to adjust to a whole new life, and trying to heal the emotional wounds of being in a cage for four months. 

I just want her to feel good.

Moto is being awesome. He keeps bringing her toys, and she keeps licking his face. My little man rules. 

Comments

• edited November -1

I don't have any experience with that - so I am not gonna be much help. I just wanted to tell you how great I think you are. You really care for your animals, I really respect that.

Also I wanted to point out - while she may be uncomfortable, I'm sure she is a million times more comfortable than she was - so I would not worry too much about her being uncomfortable through her heat. I'm sure she would rather go through this discomfort in her forever home than in a cage.

It's sweet that Moto is being so kind - I'm sure they will be BFFs!  :c)

• edited November -1

She'll be find. She may be a bit more sensitive. And may keep cleaning herself A LOT.

I'm not very fond of having blood all over my carpets and bed. Really, I'm not. So my girl either stays in her crate, while inside, or stays out in her kennel run, outside in the yard. I haven't been very religious on keeping the exact days of her heat cycle <--- I just know normally around October and April she comes in and out ---> though I really should have written them down.

She'll bleed for a couple of weeks. Her vulva area will get swollen. Then yes, the bleeding does stop, but her heat cycle isn't quite finished just yet. There may be some clear fluids and then she'll eventually clear up and be back to "the norm" again. I don't know the exact days, since I haven't been taking notes, but it is more less about 4 weeks. It may differ from female to female <--- after all, even we are not the same =(^-~)=.

Lynx is in her heat cycle right now as well. It doesn't bother her though. Her behavior hasn't changed much, she is a bit more sensitive about her rear <--- "Don't touch my behind!!!" (I'm the only one who can get away with it though, tee hee), there's no doubt that she'll "tell off" all the boys <--- this is how most females are until they are ready to breed ---> which is a good thing. Other then that, she is the same and unphased.

It'll be over soon. Um...if you want you can always try "doggie panties" <--- I have some, but Lynx perfers not to wear it, "Are you kidding me? I'm NOT wearing that!" ---> you have to change the pads every now and then though. 

• edited October 2007

She'll be find. She may be a bit more sensitive. And may keep cleaning herself A LOT.

I'm not very fond of having blood all over my carpets and bed. Really, I'm not. So my girl either stays in her crate, while inside, or stays out in her kennel run, outside in the yard. I haven't been very religious on keeping the exact days of her heat cycle <--- I just know normally around October and April she comes in and out ---> though I really should have written them down.

She'll bleed for a couple of weeks. Her vulva area will get swollen. Then yes, the bleeding does stop, but her heat cycle isn't quite finished just yet. There may be some clear fluids and then she'll eventually clear up and be back to "the norm" again. I don't know the exact days, since I haven't been taking notes, but it is more less about 4 weeks. It may differ from female to female <--- after all, even we are not the same =(^-~)=.

Lynx is in her heat cycle right now as well. It doesn't bother her though. Her behavior hasn't changed much, she is a bit more sensitive about her rear <--- "Don't touch my behind!!!" (I'm the only one who can get away with it though, tee hee), there's no doubt that she'll "tell off" all the boys <--- this is how most females are until they are ready to breed ---> which is a good thing. Other then that, she is the same and unphased.

It'll be over soon. Um...if you want you can always try "doggie panties" <--- I have some, but Lynx perfers not to wear it, "Are you kidding me? I'm NOT wearing that!" ---> you have to change the pads every now and then though. 

• edited November -1

She is wearing panties as we speak. It is not very dignified. The hard part is with her ample sow like bosoms (she has clearly had a litter or two in her time) the diaper shimmies down. And she will only let me put them on her. Ugh. Talk about initiation in blood.

eeeeeeewwwwww 

• edited November -1

LMAO!

Im sorry...I have helped my friend with her dog in heat, such as taking her out and having to take her panties off....ewwwww...