Thinking Oh Getting a smooth Chow Chow

edited March 2009 in Other Breeds
I love the Akita Inu breed so much, but it is in terrible shape here. There really aren't any "mentors" in the Japanese breed in North America. getting a dog from japan is an option as I have all of the connections but starting at $5K that is tough in today's economy. It would be nice to be able to pick up the phone and talk to someone once in a while too :)

I have been thinking about what I love in a dog. I love the independant nature and quiteness of the Akita Inu. I love the curled tail that doesn't bump into things all of the time.

I like the confidence.

From what I have read Chows are very much the same way. I love the look of the smooths, especially the black smooths.

Does anyone have any experience with Chows?

Comments

• edited November -1
    How about you try this forum.

http://forum.chowchow.org/
  • edited November -1
    The closest thing to a chow that I've had personal experience with was my dad's chow/golden retriever mix. Great dog..very smart and very loyal. She used to play hide and seek with me. I would close my eyes and start counting and she actually ran to hide. I miss her :(
  • edited November -1
    I thought they were all hairy, didn't know there was a smooth version. How about Shar pei? They're an interesting dog, same aloof/independent nature without the grooming.
  • edited November -1
    I love the chow blue tongue...Unfortunately, most of my chow experience I had was the abused one a next street neighbor had. Poor thing was on a 10ft chain all day and would bark at everything. They were forced to have two put down due to vicious behaviors and neighbor complaints. This has made most of my family think negatively of them. There is a lovely black chow that goes to my dog park, is a rescue, and is very sweet.
  • edited November -1
    I have only met a few Chow-Chows. They were all very aloof, nice, but aloof.
  • edited November -1
    Aloof is a trait I really like. I mean I want a strong nerved well socialized dog but I don't want one that is super interested in anybody and everybody. That I what i love so much about my Akita. She will greet a stranger with a face sniff or two but after that she will pretty much loose interest in them. From what I hear of a well bred and well socialized Chow it will be about the same.

Truth be told I love the Akita Inu so much, just not so much most of the people in the breed. One of my dear friends and mentors Gary Bryne (Akakuro) passed away last year and it kind of took the remaining wind out of my sails. The situation of no breed split in the USA is likely to continue for a very long time.

Gary and I had discussions as to our dissapointment with the Japanese Akita fancy. He also had Chows and he told me that his focus was turning to Chows because the fancy was so much better and no crossbreeding problem to deal with. That all sounds really appealing.
  • edited November -1
    I absolutely love chowchows!

My parents have friends with ChowChows. Both owned pairs, black and red & black and cinnamon. As with any dog, as long as they are socialized and well-taken care of , they are great animals. I played with "guard" Chows as a little one (like, say around three or four) and they were amazing with me from the first time they met me. I remember telling my mom i wanted to take the "teddy bears" home. My mum says they were even a bit protective. The other group, belonging to her neighbors, were also very loving. They were perhaps a bit friendlier than the "guard" ones were. (I use the " " marks because I do not believe they were actually trained as guard dogs, but their owner said they had protective personalities and called them his guard dogs). I have also dog-sat for a lab/chow mix. She was a little stand-offish, and we had one incident, though I know it was totally my fault. Considering we only met officially a few days ago, and she let me wipe her paws down by the end of our time together, I'd say we both did well. :0)

I have heard horror stories, and my room-mates toddler was bit by a chow. However, I know that particular chow is very old and has been under-socialized. I would say this breed ranks right there with any other in "the more you know, the better off you are" category.
  • edited November -1
    I'm curious what you think is problematic about the Amerian Akita, exactly? I am wondering because I wouldn't think the Chow is any better as a breed.
  • edited November -1
    I didnt know what a "smooth" Chow was....so I googled it. Is this what you are talking about? It's very beautiful!

http://www.dogcastradio.com/episode/127_episode_27__chow_chows_and_pads.htm
  • edited November -1
    yes, I love the American Akita, but so very few are my style. I must admit to wanting an"oriental" breed.
  • edited November -1
    Oh, that blue tongue...I just love it. Did you guys every hear the myth of how they got their tongue. How when the gods were making the universe, they poked holes in the sky to make stars. The fallen pieces were eaten by the Chowchow and forever dyed their tongues blue.
  • edited November -1
    Interesting myth I love chows sadly when I lived in Gretna Louisiana one chow bolted out of it's owner's door and attacked my white boxer Pearly luckily she was fine I was able to get the dog off and the owners ran and got their dog after that my dad hates chows, but I've met some very nice chow chows one neighbor got a puppy chow chow and he escaped his yard or bolted I don't know and he came to my front door whining at the door so I brought it some dog treats and played with it for awhile and brought him back to the owner.

I never heard of a smooth coated chow, but they're very nice looking dogs when I was a kid I always wanted a chow chow as a pet, but my dad just see them as bad dog same with rottis and pits. =\