A few good breeds

edited March 2009 in Other Breeds
Been looking at a lot of different breeds lately, mostly just screwing around and wasting time. My girlfriend's grandpa has a mountain cur that he uses for hunting. Cool dog. Apparently his last mountain cur lived 18 years!
They're known for being crazy loyal. That kind of insane loyalty you read about in Call of the Wild between Buck and John Thornton.
They've got to be one of the strangest dogs I've ever seen. Regularly born with stub tails, they also often have TWO dewclaws on the rear feet. Weird.
Also pretty awesome is the beauceron. Apparently from what I've read, this dog is seriously badass. Can pretty much do any kind of work there is.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I had never read about beauceron before, they seem cool. They look like GSD x Dobie or something.

I have met a few Mountain Curs, they are very cool. They remind me a bit of Kai Ken in personality and temperament.

Thanx for sharing!

----
  • edited November -1
    Beaucerons are very cool! I love the breed. They're the do-it-all from France, and a serious working dog.
    There was an old lady next to my elementary school that had one. Locomotive of a dog, always dragging her around.
    They also have double dew claws. Actually double dew claws are quite common in mountain breeds.

Brad - it's more like a double Dobie (in width), with medium long hair. They should be closely related to the Rottweiler, as they are both believed to descend from the cattle driving dogs the Romans are thought to have brought with them during their conquest of Europe. Same thing goes for the four Swiss cattle dogs.
  • edited November -1
    Ahhh. Ruipedia is back. We haven't heard form him in a while. :-)
  • edited November -1
    That double dewclaw business is flat out weird. I read that it was a trait that often apparently came along with good tracking/working ability, and now it's become part of the breed standard or at least an expectation.
  • edited November -1
    Absolutely love beaucerons! They've been one my favorite dog breeds for years :) ~
  • edited November -1
    Beaucerons are great dogs. If I where interested in the protection sports they would be near the top of my list.
  • edited November -1
    Cool looking dog. The color on the dog reminded me of my old black and tan coon hound I used to have. Little anne. Awsome hunting hound.