pic of my Shiba, Taj...

edited October 2007 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
  here's Taj.  She's my 5 year old mini Shiba(13.7 lbs!!), but large on sass and personality. 

Comments

• edited November -1

Taj is cute.  :c)

Kaia is only about 14lb too, and a black & tan!

• edited November -1
    Aw too cute.  Our next shiba, if ever will be Kaia...I mean black and tan.
  • edited November -1

Taj says thanks for the compliments.  It's funny having such a small Shiba, everyone else's normal sized ones seem huge, in fact I saw a 50lb red Shiba a few months agoSurprised!

• edited November -1

How adorable!

We've seen your Kai and Shiba. Where's the photo of your Dutchie?!

• edited November -1
      News is in that pic w/ Kohji on the right side.  He's 56 lbs., and 9 mons right now.  Here's a puppy pic of him when he was maybe 12 wks.  I got him for Schutzhund and flyball.  He's a freakin' pistol!  It's funny, he has no off switch....Smile  I'm sure you know how that is since you have a Malinois...
  • edited November -1
      That's his breeder Kris, who has his mother.  She trains with the Superdogs show in Canada. 
  • edited November -1

Aww...he looks so sweet and innocent. I'd be interested to see how he matures. And how he will be socially as an adult. Shoot, I know he is gonna kick butt in Schutzhund, they are an intense breed.

One of the trainers, at a club I went to, has a male Dutchie that is very serious in his schutzhund/detection work. Her female Dutchie is the complete opposite, she is soo sweet and always happy. Both extremes of the breed. She is planning a breeding between then, should be a nice litter.

Want to know a secret? I implanted an off switch on my Malinois, lol. I've actually taught her a "calm" command. And then I just toss her a beef bone or something to chew or play with. I can't keep her in one place though...she's calm, relaxed and slow about it...but...it's on the floor....on the bed...back to the floor...move to the other side of the room...back on the bed...under the bed (no!)...back on the bed.

Maybe my switch is broken??? -grins-

• edited November -1
    That is sooo funny you say that about Lynx, News is the same way!  He cannot chew on a toy in one spot for more than 5 mins.  He will go through 10 different areas of the house with the toy, carrying it from one spot to the next.  I hope he does ok, he's still so goofy at this stage.  His littermates are all working dogs with police departments, or doing flyball.  His dad I believe is still a police dog with the Detroit police, but he could possibly be retired, I'm not sure.  His owner had titled him in Schutzhund and Flyball when he was younger too, and he is a very confidant, high drive dog.  His mother is titled in Flyball and does the Superdogs shows, and she has a great personality.  The pair actully sound like the two you mentioned in the above post.  Where did you get Lynx from?  Have you titled her in the BH, SchI, II, or III?   
  • edited November -1

I got Lynx from a breeder in San Diego ---> www.dantero.com

Lynx and I trialed for our BH at the Malinois Nationals this past August/September. Unfortunely, we failed.

Problems:

---> She took a poop on the field!!!

(I should have pottied her a lot longer then I did before checking in with the judge. She went pee but never pooped ---> handler error on my part -frowns-)

---> She then ran off the field (she finished pooping outside the field too) and I proceeded to chase her.

(My dog was deemed "out of control"; and really, I shouldn't have chased her ---> she knows I'll follow her <--- but I was scared! --> instead I should have ran the other way <-- so that she could have chased me ---> I also never gave her a recall command, instead I just kept calling her name <-- whether that was stupid or smart on my part, I'm still not sure.)

---> I never did practice the off-leash part...off-leash and under distraction.

(I'm such a doof! Of course one has to practice this -sighs-.)

Though it is no excuse, Lynx is still very puppyish in many ways. She needs to mature a bit more and I need to make things more "black and white" for her; to keep it simple. <--- I had let her get away with the little things in daily life and so she felt it was "okay" to do it in trial ---> I could tell that she was having a GREAT time running around like an idiot on trial day, lol. As upset as I was with myself (not the dog), I couldn't help but smile a bit at such complete innocent puppyness.

So, there were/are some holes in our training that we need to fix. We are to repeat our BH either in December or January/February. It really just depends where we are at in our training. I need to have it all solid. She can do it, I know she can. I just need to be consistent in daily life, not just in training <--- again with the making it "black and white" both on and off the field.

Hey, even Champions make mistakes. We can't all start out as one, you have to really work hard at it. And now that the worst is over <-- and I can laugh at it later --> I'm so relieved! So perhaps the next time I won't be so nervous =(^-^`)=. <-- dogs really pick up on the signal.

She does have her RN title though ---> AKC Rally Novice, she completed 3 legs. I know it may not be much, but it's something to start off with.

• edited November -1

The nationals were in Ortonville, Michigan this year weren't they?!  I went Saturday morning and watched some obedience trials, but had to work on Sunday so I didn't get to see any protection trials.  I didn't know exactly where they were tracking at either so I missed Friday too.  That was held at my old high school on the soccer field!  Small world.... :)  I dragged my boyfriend along to watch and I kept stopping to look at all the sweet toys the vendors were selling. 

John: "Kelly stop it, we need to buy groceries, not more dog toys." 

Me: "But John, the new puppy needs some tugs and collars....."  Laughing

How old is Lynx again?  The pressure at that event probably made just about everyone nervous, I saw a couple other people competing where you could see it and the dog could sense it.  How is she doing with tracking training?   

• edited October 2007

Yup, they were. And with all that construction going on <-- when Lynx ran off, she was in the midst of it --> scary; at least she didn't get hurt and I got her back safe and sound. Wow, that's cool, that was your high school, I didn't know.

That is hilarous! I bet we passed by each other, or probably even stood by one another watching the event, lol. <--- who knew. I bought a nice French Linen Sleeve. And tons of toys for both Lynx and my upcoming Shikoku puppy!!! <-- some great tugs and those rubber balls on a rope.

Lynx was 23 months at the time of trial. She is an EXCELLENT tracker, LOVES it! She knows exactly what she is doing, but is a bit fast paced and needs to slow it down just a tad.

She should have no problems completing an FH and FH II <-- I'm definitely going to trial her in them. We are going to be aiming for a V in Tracking for her SchH I, SchH II and SchH III. Which means...tracking everyday! Tis' her favorite thing to do <-- so I also enjoy it as well.

I'd love to do a SchH III at the Nationals next year, if Lynx and I can get our act together. Right now the focus is on the BH (and SchH I after).

We'll see how it goes after I come back from my Japan trip. I suspect though that December might be the perfect time though. It'd be two weeks that Lynx will be without me and not worked. So she should be more then raring to go. Plus the trial is going to be on a field that she is familar with (so nothing new or exciting!).

Things to work on:

- Keep focus <--- she's been doing this.

- Heeling <-- she crowds me too much; forges.

- Fix crooked finishes <-- after the recall, sometimes they are perfect and other times not so much.

- Long down under distraction <-- she's been pretty good about this, a whole 10 mins worth, however I must practice this without a long line <--- as stupid as this may sound, but she can't know she's tied up...maybe try a thin string near a post...must be under trial conditions, but in training I still need to have a means of correction, if need be ---> and with another dog on the field.

So the two weeks break will do her good. If I'm not comfortable with any of it though by 110% then we won't trial...we'll wait. I did break down and get a coach and he tells me that right now she's only been giving me about 80% <-- lazy dog, lol.

How's News doing? And weren't you doing some Schutzhund training with Kohji? Are you doing all three phases? I plan on doing Schutzhund Tracking and Obedience with my Shikoku <-- and get an AD on him as well. 

This discussion has been closed.