Arthritis help?

edited October 2007 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)

Anakin has arthritis in one hip, his rear right hip.  Not only did he have muscle problems as a puppy, but he injured his hip twice when he was a puppy... once jumping off of a high bed, once jumping onto, over, and off of the back of a sofa.  We've had dozens of tests, x-rays, overnight stays, etc... performed.  We know it's definitely arthritis caused by poor genetics and previous injury.

Every fall/winter, Ani's hip begins to bother him.  He becomes slower during our walks, doesn't want to jump onto the sofa for a nap, but also doesn't want to sleep on the floor (carpet).  He paces.  He whines.  He takes several steps backwards.  Then he stops and gives me that look.  He refuses to sit or lay down.  So he keeps pacing, and giving me a look that breaks my heart.

...of course, he starts this on a Sunday when our vet is closed and there isn't a thing that the emergency clinic can do for him besides keep him overnight until the vet opens in the morning.  I'd prefer to keep him here with me and take him to the vet in the morning, myself.  I gave him a baby aspirin and set an alarm so that I could phone the vet as soon as they open in the morning.

I definitely think that it's time to ask the vet to prescribe some joint supplements.  I suggested it last year, but she said that she didn't think he needed them, since he's only 6 now (5 then).  I've already been looking into changing Anakin's diet (since he's been on brands such as Iams/Purina since he was a pup).  I know that he is a bit overweight and that losing weight would also help his arthritis while improving his overall health.  Are there any better foods for joint health?  And which supplements are best?  I hesitate to give him any sort of oil, since pill-supplements would be far less stressful (and less messy) for us both.  Any suggestions?

Needless to say, when Anakin is miserable, I'm instantly transformed into a bundle of nerves.  I try not to fuss over him too much, in case that only perpetuates the behavior, but I also want to comfort him.  Ahhh, the worries of a ShibaMom

Comments

• edited November -1

The first thing I would suggest is glucosamine and condroiton. They work! And come in all sorts of methods. Truthfully, I have arthritis in my feet, hands, back, and knees (I did lot of sports and martial arts and have broken many many bones). And it is the only reason I am able to get out of bed.

I would also suggest subscribing to whole dog journal. It was suggested to me on this forum and has been very helpful.

Best of luck with your little guy. It sucks so much to know they are hurting and you can't express to them that you are trying to help them. 

• edited October 2007

Glucosamine is the way to go, or a mixture supplement containing glucosamine.  I have Nemo on Arthogen's chew tabs, and he loves them as a treat.  Synovi is also a really good brand (but expensive).  You can find them both, and others at this website:

http://www.petrx.com

If that doesn't work or you want to try something else you might want to check out DGP:

http://www.doggonepain.com/

Whole Dog Journal did a review about it a year ago or more and they liked the results.

I'd worry about food and supplements as separate issues.  Time to move him off of the Iams and Purina junk, there are a lot of food threads on this forum, if you want any other specific info, let us know.

• edited November -1

I give my two Flexicose. It is a human supplement that is safe for dogs. It is in liquid form, so I just add it in their nightly meals.

While neither of my two have problems, glucosime/condroitin/msm has been found to help in prevention, too.

This discussion has been closed.