Rakka Destroys a Door

edited October 2007 in Shikoku Ken (四国犬)

Noah and I went into town for a while yesterday and put Rakka in a spare room with water, a bone, bed, etc.  When we came back, she was running free around the house!  Seems she literally chewed a hole through the door big enough to squeeze through!  I didn't even think she was capable of that. Once she was free, though, she didn't wreck anything.  

At least the door was ugly. :) 

Comments

• edited November -1
    Um... WOW
  • edited November -1
    wow - that's hectic.
  • edited November -1
    Pictures?
  • edited November -1
    LMAO  I love it.  All Brandon has to say is pictures.  We all know the life and always have pics.
  • edited November -1
    Pics coming soon.  I must say, after this, I truly feel initiated into shikoku ownership, lol!  
  • edited November -1

HAHAH! Yeah...I've seen this happen once in real life and heard about it a ton with other dogs. I tell ya, when they want out, they want OUT.

Do you not have a crate for when you are away? Or maybe put up a kennel run? At least the rest of your house survived.

• edited November -1
    Yeah, she has a crate, I just thought she'd appreciate the extra room!  We are planning to build an outdoor kennel run with insulated dog house, though, just for when we want to go into town for a bit or when we have lots of people over for dinner and don't want all the dogs running around.  I'm hoping to have this and a fence around the yard built before winter, but we'll see.  
  • edited October 2007

The fact that Rakka didn't do anything destructive/naughty after she got out is a good sign though. 

For that kennel run you might want to think of putting fencing over the top also.  Seems like Rakka can get a lot done when she is determined, jumping a fence might not be out of the question.

I remember on a different board a lady posted the kennel they had for their husky.  The dog was a major escape artist, and destroyed things when he got out.  The husband was a welder, the kennel looked almost like a solitary confinment unit, the dog had actually bent a few wire crates enough to get out.

• edited November -1
    Somewhat along the same note...we are beginning to let the dogs free roam when we are not home.  They are both 2 and have done well on short periods so far.  No potty accidents and no APPARENT turmoil.  The cat may disagree.  I hold my breath going in and then sniff around...LOL.
  • edited November -1
    Ah yes! Shikoku mischiefness. I do hope you post this on the other board. They laugh so hard at Ronan's misadventures. Two Shikoku would have them in stitches.
  • edited November -1
    I have a dog, (not a Shikoku) and she started to destroy a solid oak door, and had started in on the white pine flooring. So we decided to put her in a metal crate when we went out, upon our return we were greeted at the door by an emancipated canine. She had bent the metal and squeezed her way out of the top.