Strange Behavior

edited October 2007 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)

Every now and then something really, really strange happens.  It usually freaks me out and makes me worry at least a little bit, Nemo behaves, for an entire evening.

Last night Nemo was so good.  He didn't participate in any of his usual antics, which are harmless, but sometimes annoying (dragging the floor mat out of the bathroom).  All night he just chewed on his bone, didn't try to attack the cats if they walked past him, sat by us on the couch for a little while and laid on the futon in the other room without getting naughty.

It's not that he is usually a bad dog, but he is usually mischievous.   Even on our walk last night he kept up a brisk pace.  No refusing to stop sniffing certain spots, no meandering and walking slowly behind us.  He would just stop, pee, and keep walking.

Is that what's it like to own a normal dog?

Anyone else get these rare nights?

Comments

• edited November -1

They freak me out a bit too. I wonder if I "broke him" then we wake up and he eats from the litter box or chews up one of my paintings and everything is right in the world again.

Today I was telling someone about Moto's cod liver oil incident. I was laughing as I was telling the story. She was horrified. "Oh my god he is a demon!" she exclames. She has a rat terrier and thinks it's annoying that he won't let her watch tv, because he wants to play fetch. She had mentioned that she wanted a second dog, and that perhaps she would get a shiba. I heartily discouraged that decision. But I think the cod liver oil story has sealed the deal that she will get something a little more domestic like a cockapoo.

I have had "normal" dogs. There really is a huge difference. But with all the aggrevation and gray hair I have earned with my little guy, I could never go back. I have the japanese breed fever. For god's sake I overnighted my deposit check to Katja (not cheap by the way, Lordy, Courtenay B.C. is far!!!) for my shikoku puppy (Himiko).

God bless my little destroyer! I think the destructive insanity makes the good behavior even more precious! 

• edited November -1

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA  I love it!!!

And I know that feeling...you worry that something is wrong or they are sick when calm!!!  I am starting to get use to a little calm with the age. 

This discussion has been closed.