Nola and Bella (Added a video of the little monsters!)

edited February 2009 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Well, it has been a while since I have given any real updates on my gals. (Sorry about that, we have been pretty busy!)

Well, Nola finished her puppy class at the beginning of January. She did great! She is doing a lot better with introductions, although she still gets crazy around new people. Just not quite as crazy as before and she calms down quite a bit quicker than before. We still have a ton of work to do with her on that. She loves to meet other dogs and most people. We have found that she is skittish around large groups of children (but then again, who can blame her!). We will also be working with her on that as the weather gets warmer and the kids are out to play more. Other than that, she is doing great. She is 14.5" and weighs in at 19 lbs and is solid as a rock!
From New Camera
From New Camera
From New Camera
Bella is also doing great. She is enjoying the longer days and protecting all of us from the boogyman. She tried to eat some ducks the other day, but decided she would rather stay on dry land. (as is the Shiba way) She has been working on her fear of the 'big pink ball' (it is a balance ball that is kept in my office) and is doing rather well with it, although she still barks at it if it is out of place and no one else is in the room. As for other large balls, she will even play with a soccer ball now! YAY! But I have not had a chance to get many pictures of that. Although I do have a picture of her playing with a volleyball that is only a tad smaller.
From Bella
From Bella
From New Camera
That is all for now! I will try and be better about posting pictures and updating. :)

Comments

• edited November -1
    At first I thought that was a tetherball, but if it's a volleyball, Bella's impressive. She got her teeth around an inflated volleyball? Beautiful pics of your two btw. There's something about sesame's that are so primally appealing to me.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Nope, that would be a volleyball... Specifically "Wilson" from Cast Away. :) She can pick up the soccer ball that is fully inflated too. Kind of like a snake, that one is. :) She just un-hinges her jaw!
  • edited November -1
    Awww we don't see these too very often!!!

Nola is SUCH a pretty girl! Her sesame has really come through lovely!

Belle just has the sweetest face, I hope she's being a good big sister! :) ~
  • edited November -1
    They are beautiful, Casey! Bella's eyes give her such a nice expression and Nola's markings are awesome!!
  • edited November -1
    I love Nola's face!

I crack up at Belle - do you have video of her with the "big pink ball" (aka evil nemesis)?
  • edited November -1
    Thanks guys! :) They are definitely my pride and joy... And I can not believe little Nola is almost 9 months old!

LJ - I will try and get a video of Bella and the 'big pink ball'. I have yet to try out the video function on my new camera, so hopefully it will produce something somewhat worthy of posting!
  • edited November -1
    Nola is super cute!

Bella can hold a soccer ball? Impressive!

Great spam, it's nice to see them and get an update - it had been a while!

----
  • edited November -1
    Nola is absolutely beautiful! And Bella looks like she's got real Shiba attitude.
  • edited November -1
    Yep, I know I really suck about updating. But now that I have a new awesome camera, I will hopefully be more motivated to update with pictures and video.

Brad - Bella was once afraid of any ball that was bigger than her head. We have been working with her for several months on her fear of large balls. And she will now gladly play/attack soccer balls and volley balls. She is so funny with the soccer ball because she runs up to it and nips it a few times before she will try and grab it. It takes her a couple of tries, but she is eventually able to pick it up and run with it for a few steps before she lets go. I need to figure out the video thing on my camera so I can capture 'the moment'! (never really been a big fan of video, so this is all new to me!)
  • edited November -1
    They're both very cute, Nola's sesame is beautiful.

Next step for Bella is a basketball, hehehe. It's impressive that she can wrap her jaw around a football.
  • edited November -1
    They both are so gorgeous...really liking Nola's sesame, especially around the face.

It's hard to think about how fast their growing, both Nola and Tetsu will be a year in just 3+ months. Feels like yesterday that he was a little fluff ball.

Definitely, need more updates of your babies.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, that is a big ball for a Shiba! I would think that maybe a basketball would be even harder. Impressive

I agree that the sesame color is beautiful on your puppy! :-)
  • edited November -1
    So, since it is Friday the 13th, I thought I might take a few pictures of my little angels being ferocious little devils! :)
    From Bella and Nola
    From Bella and Nola
    From Bella and Nola
    And for an early Valentine's Day treat:
    From Bella and Nola
  • edited November -1
    I really like the devils shot!
  • edited November -1
    lol - Nola is adorable in her awkward growing phase. I miss small head-big body Tsuki... :)

Great pics!
  • edited November -1
    Casey,
    I may have missed this, but what other collar do you have on Bella and Nola other than the martingale I'm seeing? What are those gray boxes on their collar?

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    They are invisible fence receivers. Besides what most people say, it has worked beautifully for both Bella and Nola. (Nola's training is almost over, if you look at the pictures of them in the yard, the flags are almost all up.) However, for anyone who is thinking of using the invisible fence with a Shiba (or any Nihon Ken, for that matter), it takes a lot of training and you must constantly keep a watch on them. They are never left in the yard unattended.

To give an idea how dedicated we are, the training started with Nola at 16 weeks. She is now almost 9 months old, and we are down to 3 flags on each side. At the end of this month, all the flags will come up. Invisible fence's training program is much shorter, but we want to make sure that our pups understand their boundaries and both the fence's warning and our warning.

*knock on wood* Neither pup has jumped the fence. But if they do, then the containment system will no longer be appropriate for them, and we will need to look at other options. Once a dog has learned how to get out of the fence, you can never re-train them, despite what Invisible Fence (the company) says.
  • edited November -1
    The reason I was always told not to use invisible fences was less the likelihood of escape and more their vulnerability. Meaning other dogs, or predators can get to them. But since you said they are never unattended that would be less of a concern.

They are lovely pups.
  • edited November -1
    Second one of Nola is my fav : )~
  • edited November -1
    Seems like they were having a great time together. I bet you had two tired pups after that.
  • edited November -1
    Rui, they do that at least 3 times a day. And they are NEVER tired. :) Which is why they get a nice hour long walk in the evening and a half hour walk in the morning. These dogs have a never ending supply of energy. If we could harness it, it would solve the world's energy problem! :)
  • edited November -1
    Last night was rainy and icky. The pups were not much for going for a walk or playing outside. So I took the chance and took a few pictures. :)
    From Nola
    From Nola
    From Nola
    From Nola
    From Bella
    From Bella
    From Bella
    From Bella
    Sorry so many... I was playing around with my new camera and an old lens. :-D
  • edited November -1
    they are both gorgeous! beautiful colors!
  • edited November -1
    Casey: Your doggies are beautiful --- thanks for the update! Love the picture of Bella with the ball! And Bella with the yellow lights in the background is stunning! Nola is a cutie, too! Funny pic of her with that chewed up Elmo (or whatever)... Looks like she is so wise in some of these photos, and having so much fun with her little "sis" (well, not so little now!!!)...
  • edited November -1
    so beautiful! they have awesome markings on their faces!
  • edited November -1
    Both your pups are adorable. I love sesame shibas, they are gorgeous.
  • edited November -1
    Bev - That is a battle weary loofa dog. (or weinie dog, as we call him) Nola was lying on top of his body and trying to chew one of his ears off. :) And Bella is definitely a wise Shiba. She knows how to make everyone fall under her Shiba Mind Control spell. :-D
  • edited November -1
    Bella and Nola have beautifully clean and sparkly teeth. Nola's color is wonderful. I look forward to seeing what she looks like as an adult. I also like the spots on her forearm.
  • edited November -1
    Great pics...Love how Nola is chewing on the ear, and bella looks so cute.
  • edited November -1
    lol. Someone is enjoying their new toy. :-)

I really like the first one of Bella. The light in the background makes for an interesting effect. Very cool.

The third one of Bella somewhat reminds me of her Yoda pic.
This discussion has been closed.