should i or should i

edited October 2007 in General

should i wait to pick up my pup from the air port or should i just go ahead and pick up from katja? it's too far for me to drive down there, is gonna take me 2 days to drive, so may be fly, may be West Jet would allow people stay with their pet?

what you guys will do / did?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Personally, I'm all about the driving (not much into airports), so I'm no help.  Other than that, I would just suggest you don't fly with Air Canada as they have a new policy that doesn't allow any pets at all onboard.
  • edited November -1
    I'd drive - will be easier on the pup. That's just my opinion tho.
  • edited October 2007

drive? Surprised 2 days on the road? sad

• edited November -1

I flew with Ronan, but it wasn't easy. Delta kinda gave me a hard time because his carrier didn't exactly fit under the seat. I explained that I called and checked on the flight and particular aircraft we'd be one and was assured he was allowed, so the flight attendant backed off. I found that very few airlines allow the pet in the cabin area. They have to be 12 pounds or less, and 7 weeks if traveling within the same country - 8 wks if leaving the country. If you are in Canada and want to fly, I suggest getting your pup at 7 weeks.

Ronan did GREAT on the flights, though. Never got sick. Never cried. I left with him on a Tuesday afternoon - the flight was delayed for three hours due to bad weather in Vancouver. I arrived with him in Vancouver city that night, and we stayed at a Marriott. We flew out the next morning (another delay of an hour) to Salt Lake City. There, we had a 5.5 hour layover. The stories I could tell about trying to get Ronan to pee on a pee pad in a women's room stall! LOL! We flew from Salt Lake to Atlanta (and encountered another less than happy Delta attendant). Then, we had a 45 minute ride home from the Atlanta airport. Ronan slept through the night in his crate without a peep, and I slept with him in the basement that first night on an old futon. The next day, I found I'd slept with a tennis ball in my back all night, LOL! The reason I slept in the basement was that I didn't want to introduce Ronan to Tasha immediately after a long trip like that. 

But driving - let me warn you that pups get REAL car sick. 

• edited November -1

I personally feel that flying is awfully hard on a pup.   I am sorry that we did not drive up to pick up Tenji.  He survived the flight all right but it was tough on him and he wouldn't ride in a car for a very long time after his arrival.   He just turned a year old and he is just now getting comfortable in a car.....but definitely not long trips.

• edited November -1
    Ronan still is unpredictable in a car for medium rides. I can't feed him if I know he's going to be in the car for awhile. He gets so sick.
  • edited November -1
    Helen - When will you be getting your pup?
  • edited October 2007

Dear every body, thanks for all the caring information, i think i am gonna fly, from toronto to vancouver, only 4 hrs, should be ok for the pup. West jet sound better then Air Canada, i don't know yet, i have to find out. 

by the way, have a wonderful thanksgiving.