Interesting development for Maui!

edited October 2007 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)

Well you guys probably remember that Maui bit me a few weeks ago. I have since made up with him, so we are friends again.

That's not the interesting development tho... We have taken him off his Amitriptyline and started a heavy exercise regiment with him. Jen and I figured, since she has to walk Ahi at least 3 miles a day, she might as well take Maui and see if that will help with his issues. It's made an amazing difference! He plays and has a great time, the other day it thundered and he didn't even react!

So it's looking more promising for little Maui. I'm so happy to have my little man back, he was always a fun dog; but then the anxiety and stress of all his fears just turned him into a monster. So we put him on the drugs (after trying several things for years) and it seemed to help, but he just wasn't Maui anymore - and it was breaking our heart. Now w/o the drugs and all the wlks and play he is Maui agaqin. Smile

Come to find out all he needed was a LOT of exercise. We feel kinda dumb that we are just now figuring him out. Embarassed

Comments

• edited November -1
    That's great news!  Hurray for Maui!
  • edited November -1

Cesar Millan would be proud!!!   "Exercise, discipline, love"

I am very happy for little Maui.  You just know that he is much happierLaughing.

• edited November -1

I am so happy to hear you and  Maui have come to such a great breakthrough! I remember feeling so sad for you when you posted about him biting you. I couldn't imagine how heartbroken you and Jen must have been just to think about the possibility of Maui needing to not be with you. I LOVE that you guys are the kind of people who don't just give up and instead search for a solution. Many other people would have just turned their backs on their dog and just written him off as aggressive.  And to think a bit more exercise, and taking him off a prescription would resolve the problem! AMAZING!!

We had a similar breakthrough with Moto. If you recall he was going through a phase where he was destroying stuff every night. The last straw being my prescription glasses!

At your suggestion, we stopped crating him during the day. And I also made a point of taking him either for an hour run, or to the dog park for an hour or two BEFORE I went to work in the morning, then walking him about 5-7 miles in the evening after work.

He has turned into such a wonderful little man. He is gentle with children, rowdy but submissive with big dogs. He shows NO aggression at all (except to pine cones! OOOHHH he HATES pinecones!!!). He even cuddles with my cats when they let him.

I am now convinced that the answer to so many peoples behavior complaints with their pups can be resolved with exercise and consistency.

• edited November -1

Dorothy - Yes, he is much happier - but don't tell Cesar, that guy's head is big enough as it is. Tongue out

Jessica - I'm sure we are all in the same camp, I would never give up one of my dogs. I do feel a little dumb that we just now figured out he needed a lot of exercise... but at least we figured it out. You (and Cesar) are right tho, I think exercise is the answer to 90% of dog problems.

As for Moto - I'm stoked he is doing so well! Smile

I know I always get weird about the forum, and say things like this, but I gotta say it again... This is what I love about this forum, it's a place for all of us to turn to like-minded people to get help and support for these complicated breeds. I'm pleased as to how well it's worked out.

• edited November -1

It's funny, you have said a couple times that you get "weird" about the forum. But I think most of us must be as "weird" as you, because I never think it's weird.

I just wish I had more video to post. Once I buy a video camera, I may rival you in postings. And once Himiko is born...oh look out! Moto AND a shikoku puppy?!?! I will be out of controlTongue out

• edited November -1

Awesome - I'd love to see some videos of your gang!

I just use a regular digital camera to take my vids - works well.

This discussion has been closed.