Sasuke's Blog update 7.17.09

edited December 2008 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Not sure where this belongs but I would like to track the progress of my rescued puppy. I love the comments and support the community has given me and would love to have more help. He is such a sour patch... Sour at first, then sweet.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Very cute pup.
  • edited November -1
    He is cute. Any decisions for a new name yet?
  • edited November -1
    We're debating: Miso, Sake, Sasuke, Tofu, Ichigo, Uryuu, and a few others. I really like Sasuke but no one else does ::shrugs::
  • edited December 2008
    Theif :P

I like Inari (E-NAR-EE)
  • edited November -1
    Lol, yeah I know, but my family likes it lol
  • edited November -1
    I also like the number six in japanese. Rouku (sp?)
  • edited November -1
    What are your thoughts in the whole three syllable thing? I've read several articles stating two syllable names is ideal and try not to go with anything over it.
  • edited November -1
    He's so handsome! I think three-syllable names work if they flow well.
  • edited November -1
    I don't know much about names. I just name the dogs what comes to me. I have had a MacArthur who responded both to his full name and his nickname, Merky. I had a Sasha. We also had a husky named "THE RED DOG". Yes, her full name on everything was THE RED DOG and if you said "hey the red dog, come here" she would. It was great.

Miso responds well to his name. Sake is a drama queen and doesn't listen to me at all...puppies.

I think a short (2 syllable) name is good because you can say it quick and sharp to get their attention. But as long as they learn their name, it doesn't matter what it is.
  • edited November -1
    He is gorgeous! And looks like he might be a camera hog! :-P

I think a 2 syllable name is easier. Mainly just because it is easier for you to say and others to remember.
  • edited November -1
    What a cute little guy! I've always heard 2 syllable names were ideal for a dog, but I don't even know where I heard it!
  • edited November -1
    what a beautiful dog :)
  • edited November -1
    Very cute! I've hard some odd names for a dog - Ferrari being one, and as long as you can say it fast, you should be good.
  • edited December 2008
    Great, that makes naming him easier!

We had great improvement at dinner time today. As I was eating, he was just sitting and watching, with no jumping on the table except for the first time. I then fed him half of his meal little by little. I was able to make him sit and wait until I dropped his food in. When I said, "go eat," he stopped sitting and ate. My father and I then tried to feed all three dogs together, and although he ate about three feet away from the other dogs, there was no growling at all!

I just bought The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson from Boarders. I will be ordering Mine! by the same author in a few days.

Thanks for all the help! I'll keep you updated.

edit: I did hear that too, Kaddy... But have no idea where I heard it from... That's why I asked :)
  • edited November -1
    Hehe Too cute!!! Little foxy man! :)

If you keep him, I want to come visit! :p lol

Bleach & Naruto names? ;) ~
  • edited November -1
    I love Bleach.. not so much Naruto but I like the name... and Ninja Warrior xD I think it suits this devil dog lol

So he is getting much better at feeding time, but if he is eating something inappropriate or I want to grab his toy, he would growl.

I also found two other problems that triggers his aggression. We had two walks together and both times he would growl and snap at me when I try to unhook his leash. Putting on his leash is fine, it's after the walk that gets him growling.

I also see his "Sharingan" eye when I try to close the latch on his crate. He does go in willingly, but he would growl at me when I try to close both latches. The first time I put him in his crate, he cried for ten minutes, not so much now.
  • edited November -1
    Joe, just keep working with him. It sounds like you are doing an awesome job. Instead of "grabbing his toy" offer him a treat and tell him to "give it". If he willingly drops the toy he gets a praise and a treat. Always stay positive.

When you get home from a walk just let him drag the leash around for a while, pick it up again, drop it, pick it up and then see what he does when you try and take it off.

Also if you have ever seen "It's Me or the Dog" with Victoria Stillwell she is GREAT and she uses this sound like a sharp "AHT" to get the dogs attention. It works really well with Shiba's since they have no clue what the word NO means.
  • edited November -1
    I have a theory with them not understanding the word "No"...We say it with such varying inflections. We can say no when we're calm, commanding, or shouting and it'll mean 3 different things to a dog despite the fact we're saying the same word. However, if you do the "AHT" or TDW's "SSST", they are usually said with a more consistent tone and inflection, hence why the dog knows to associate those sharp sounds with stop what you're doing (usually).

Jesse
  • edited December 2008
    He's really cute! I especially like the last picture where he's sleeping with his tail straight up. I agree about using a unique word/sound to get his attention. It means 'stop what you're doing and focus on me' and then praise praise praise when he does it.
  • edited November -1
    Funny that you named him Sasuke...I was on the border on naming Ichi, Kiba, or Akamaru:P

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Okay, first of all, my pack and I wish you all a Happy New Year!

Now, our New Year celebration wasn't as smoothly as I wished. First of all, I stepped in dog poop when I was getting firewood in our backyard :( We found out AFTER I walked around in the house!

I tried to give Sasuke his first bath and found out he was afraid of the hose, so I tried to use a small bucket of water. After I got him wet and soapy, he got loose from his harness and ran around the backyard... And rolled all over the dirt! I managed to get him inside where we finished his bath in the shower.

Next, Sasuke continued to bark and howl at fireworks, that I had to put him in my brother's room where there was less noise.

When my father came home, he sorta hit Sasuke with a plastic bag (he was a little drunk) and said, "Don't bite my feet!" ummm.. he was only sniffing him! Girrr..

Finally, my cousins brought over their male german shepard mix. Although he is a nice boy, I knew Sasuke does NOT like other male dogs. I tried to tell this to her but she was like, "it's okay, that's how they play" Uhhh... I saw their first introduction and noticed Sasuke was becoming uneasy, so I backed him away. After the ball dropped, I went outside to say "bye" to my girlfriend and saw my cousin trying to let them meet again! They started to fight and I had to break them away. I had to grab Sasuke's harness to make him stop biting. He also bit my thumb and left three bleeding cuts. One between my thumb and index finger, the other two under my thumb... It hurts to grab things with it :(

So... Happy New Year :) I'm probably going to buy him a martingale collar today too.
  • edited November -1
    Stick with a harness for now. Especially if he is engaging you could cause permanent tracheal or spinal damage if you have to jerk him back.

I personally find baths easier in a tub as opposed to outside.

Your dad...I am speechless. If someone so much as gives a sideways glance to my dog, there will be blood.

That is really shitty of your cousins to bring a dog over when you have a new pup. And then to do face to face intros when you said no? That is your cousins fault, not Sasuke. Sucks you got in the middle.

Well hopefully things will go up from here.
  • edited November -1
    Ahhh, that sucks! Sometimes family just don't "get" it.

Hopefully the new year will bring you good things!!! ~
  • edited November -1
    I hope your cousin wasn't intentionally baiting your new guy to fight. You will want him to have positive interactions with dogs and people in a controlled environment, so from now on, make sure people know that.
  • edited November -1
    Sasuke--- what a cutie! Sounds like you are making tons of progress with him in a short time... New Years eve is always kind of chaotic for a doggie, especially because of all the new people and special events, but hopefully you can now settle into a routine and much more progress will occur. You were lucky to find such a beautiful dog -- keep the pics and stories coming!
  • edited March 2009
    Well I haven't updated this in awhile, and he is acting strange.

First, I can now put my hands in his bowl while he is eating! I still cannot pet him very long though. He freezes up, which leads to him showing teeth. I'm not sure if I should work on the time before he shows teeth first or should I work on the time it takes before he freezes. I did however was successful hand feeding him while rubbing his head yesterday. He gets much more aggressive when my girlfriend tries to feed him.

I have been slowly socializing him with more and more male dogs. He is now very friendly to all the dogs at the dog park!

I have taught him sit, down, stand, crawl, ledge, and speak. He is currently working on "stay" and "come" but I it is taking awhile before I can walk behind his head without him moving. "Ledge" is simply a command that lets him find the nearest ledge and walk on it, for example, a sidewalk curb, planters ledges, etc. I also need to reinforce what he already knows and move him to the "high school" forms rather than the elementary school.

I started his puppy classes but since I had unsettling feeling about the trainer, I will cease to go with him. There is another class that I want to try out in February.

He used to be aggressive towards me locking his crate. Most of the time, he will now go in to the crate on his own will. I can also cue "crate" and he will go in. He will still sometimes growl, but is much less frequent. He also used to growl and bark when I buckle his harness: this is now no longer an issue!

Sushi still runs from Sasuke and when they are both being held, Sasuke would sort of bite at Sushi, but not hard.

I found a small pimple-esque spot on his chest that had no fur around it. I'm not sure what it is but I think Sasuke scratches on it a lot. Since he has a vet visit on Tuesday, I will check it out.

Here is the strange thing: I came home from work today and we played as usual. He then bumped his head pretty hard on the glass table from going from a down to sit position. He then did not answer to any of my commands. He was also snappier than usual (like when I first got him). He almost bit my girlfriend twice and me once. He also tended to freeze a lot more when I was petting him, including when he was playing with toys! Hopefully he settles down a bit after he sleeps. It's like he completely forgot everything he learned!
  • edited January 2009
    Hummm....maybe you should investigate a professional behaviorist coming in to observe would be of assistance. It really is hard to know what is going on through the forum. A qualified person will be able to help you directly. It sounds like you have made progress but there are some areas that may need a professional. He may have a previous injury that may affect his behavior. Talk to your vet too about his unusual behavior.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    It sounds like he is making some great progress! A professional behaviorist or training can never hurt if you find a good one.

As for bumping his head, he's probably just a bit freaked out. I get pretty frustrated/angry when I bump my head and have a headache. I'm sure he'll recover soon.
  • edited February 2009
    Just from what you have written, it sort of sounds like he has a very low tolerance threshold in that he is quick to snap/growl/react if he feels threatened. It also sounds like you are working to desensitize some of that, and you have made some good progress with the crate and feeding, with a few set backs (biting). If it were my dog, I would definately consult a behaviorist in the home who can provide you with perspective and show you what you are doing that triggers him and tips him past his threshold level. How you treat him when he reacts can greatly influence his future reactions so a professionals' guidance would be invaluable. Freezing up is leading to showing teeth, and that will lead to a bite, he is giving you clear warnings. One of your goals in his training is to keep him from getting to that place, stop the exercise when he starts "freezing up" and redirect his attention on something positive. A professional can work with you from there on the desensitizing part. It will be much more difficult to redirect or re-focus him once he has already crossed his threshold and has totally freaked out or already reinforced a bite behavior than if he had been kept calm to begin with.
  • edited November -1
    That post was very helpful, Lindsay, thanks!

I met someone in my online webdesign class that has been a dog trainer and behaviorist for 15 years or so. She said she would help me out in both obedience and correcting his behavior. His lessons start on 2/11.
This discussion has been closed.