My experience with a therapy dog

edited December 2008 in Other Breeds
We have the... pleasure... of dog sitting Eva the Cairn Terrier while her owner is in sunny Florida for the holiday. Eva is a certified therapy dog, so I thought on Christmas Eve it would be fun to bring her to the nursing home I used to work at.
She loved those people, gave TONS of kisses, let people pet her, sit very still on wheel chaired laps and generally brought a lot of cheer.

It was also a great learning experience for me handling someone else's therapy dog and try to be consistent on commands. This was her first official nursing home visit. We did pretty well together :)
[excuse my appearance in the photos below, I haven't been feeling my best lately]

All dressed up, walked and ready to go:
working on comes, stays and getting pet:
Eva, queen of the kisses. This lovely woman kept saying "she kissed me, you see that? she loves me, oh I love ya, I love ya!"
Its a blurry pic but she isn't at all affected by wheel chairs or canes or things falling or loud noises. Its impressive to me with aloof shibas!
She was a good girl

My sincere hope is that someday we can certify Tsuki as a therapy dog, we just got to get her over her apprehension to things falling and plastic bags crinkling. I think in a year or so with some conditioning, she'll at least be ready for the classes. It was a lot of fun bringing and watching Eva with the people, I think Tsuki would be a burst of energetic cheer as a therapy dog, too.

Comments