I have been hesitant to post this...

I have been holding off posting this for a week or so now, because I wanted to give my theory some time to play out and make sure it was really true. It seems when Ahi turned 1 year old she slowed down DRASTICLY! It was not like an overnight thing, or like a switch went off; looking back it has been a gradual process, and I guess the one year mark just made us realize that she has really calmed down a lot. She can almost be left out of her pen 24/7 now - when she is out she just sits in front of the window and watch things or she sleeps on the couch.

Don't get me wrong, she still requires at least 2 walks a day and plays harder than any other dog I have been around, but it's mos def kicked down a notch.

So to anyone with a Shikoku that’s under 1 year old - don't fret, there is hope - they do calm down a bit.  Laughing

Comments

• edited September 2007

About a week or so ago, we were worried about Ronan. He seemed... off. Quiet. Then, he'd start his antics again. This went on for a week. At first, I thought he'd gotten ahold of something he shouldn't have since the only time Ronan goes in his crate is if no one is home.

He has begun to calm down just a little. He likes to look outside, too. Ronan has claimed one end of the couch where he lays down, little head and paws resting on the arm of the sofa so he can see out into the yard.

He's still a wild child, though. Saturday, for some unexplicable reason, he peed on Tasha. Yell

• edited November -1

oh - wow - I'm sure Tasha loved that!

Sounds like it's true then - Shikokus due calm a bit... relatively speaking of course.  Wink

• edited November -1

YAY!!  For both of you!  Does this mean that Ahi wont eat my dogs?? 

• edited November -1
    I dunno, I think that might be pushing it. lol
  • edited November -1
    Peed on Tasha, eh?  What a little weirdo!  Can't wait to have one of my own ;)
  • edited September 2007

He's a character, alright!

He almost did it again! Except this time, we noticed what's really happening. He's not trying to pee on Tasha per se, but rather he's impatient and doesn't want to wait for his chance to pee over the area Tasha pees. So, when she's just about done... <shakes head, rolls eyes, sighs in frustration>

I still love the little squirt. (bad puns r us)

• edited November -1
    lol. Those adolescent boys, I tell ya...Poor Tash.
  • edited November -1
    Tojo's breeder told me that everyone who's ever bought a shiba from her says they suddenly calm down at the age of two.  Perhaps shikokus are similar.
  • edited November -1

hello

my experiences in holland is that the shikoku at the age off 1 or 2 calm down

when they are little they are like a orkaan and you have your hands full (hi hi)

• edited November -1
    Tell me about it! We have a little "orkaan" right now! Having Hilo and Ahi around helps to keep Loa pretty busy tho.
  • edited November -1

you have luck that Hilo and Ahi keeping her busy so you have your hands a bit free (hi)Laughing

but you have aspirins this with ahi so you know whats comingSealed

• edited November -1

I really LOVE all of Kei's crazy hyper zoominess and bouncing off the floor <-- literally! He is like a spring! --> I will have to video and post. They just grow up way too fast. I want to enjoy all the puppyness.

I think he is "bad" now, but just wait until I am back at home in the States with him. I am very sure that he has more to offer -grins-.

Lynx and I are definitely going to have a pawful! <--- it is going to be fun!

This is good to know though because if he does ever get "quiet", then I will think he is sick. Shoot...when Lynx actually uses her "off switch", I sometimes look at her like, "Are you okay? Is something wrong?" lol.

So enjoy all of Loa's puppiness now. Make sure Ahi and Hilo share and don't hog all the fun!

• edited November -1

Uh oh,  Tenji hasn't slowed down at all.  He's still a handful and wants lots of attention.  Perhaps that comes with being the "only child"Tongue out.   He also attempted to pee on a house guest.  I realized what he was going to do and was able to stop him.  Gee, he hasn't done that since poor Corina came to meet himSurprised.  Do you think it was the smell of their dogs?  Whatever, it was very embarassing.

• edited November -1

Corina - wait till you get him home and watch him and Lynx play... they will be so crazy, you will love it! Loa, Hilo, and Ahi play non-stop. Loa just switches between them, she never stops. It gets to the point where she gets cranky and starts being unruly so we have to put her to bed... then she just crashes.

Dorothy - Tenji almost peed on a guest? That would be awful, I'm sure you where vey embarrassed!

• edited November 2007

Dorothy - I think the smell of other dogs and excitement. Ronan peed on Ray when he returned from a 4 day business trip. He ALWAYS pees when we take him to pet smart. ALWAYS. Same with the vet's office.

Ronan does have quiet moments, but all in all, he's still hell on paws. Hence, his middle name - Calvin. Hobbs is a platypus instead of a tiger, though.

Corina - I think Shikokus have springs for feet regardless of age. Ronan still bounds around the house like a gazelle at times. In fact, his jumping ability is amazing and getting better all the time.

• edited November -1

Speaking of shikoku springs, I've been thinking I should videotape Rakka running through the tall prairie grass.  She is really agile.  There's this huge pile of dirt she likes to jump off of, too.  She's a real thrill-seeker.  As to peeing - Rakka lets a few drips out when she's excited.  She did that at my parents' house Embarassed.  Not a whole pee, though, just a few drops.