Moto made a friend

So Moto spent the weekend with a Brussels Grifon puppy this weekend. Once he understood that Hoss (the pup) wasn't prey (he only tried to eat him once), they were the best of friends.

And this is just a cute family photo taken this weekend.

Comments

• edited November -1

That's really cute - it's always cute to see dogs play with puppies.

Hoss is a funny name for such a little dude. Smile

• edited November -1
    The funniest part is that is name the breeder gave him. Makes me laugh every time.
  • edited November -1
    I love the family photo!
  • edited November -1
    Me too. It was one of my all time favorites. Thanks!
  • edited November -1
    Moto looks like a big [tall] guy - how much does he weigh?
  • edited November -1

23lbs.

He is just bushy, he already blew his summer coat and is fluffing up for a new england winter.

That and his little friend is 3 and a half lbs which makes him look all the more impressive.

People who have only seen him in pictures are shocked to see how  small he is.  

People think he is big when he is with me. They think he is tiny when he is with Jay.

• edited November -1
    I Love ALWAYS getting the reaction...I thought they were bigger!  Their pics make them look so big...
  • edited November -1

I didn't mean he looked fat - I just meant he looked pretty tall. As far as Shibas go, 23# is pushing the larger side - based on the standards, 25# is the max a Shiba should be. Our Shibas are really small too, so I am probably just used to looking at them.

I was not saying Moto is abnormally big, I actually prefer his size. He is closer to the standard than most of the Shibas I see... Shibas in the US tend to be very small [at least around here].

• edited November -1

I am convinced that there is an influx of jindos around here. So many of the shibas I meet here are monsters. I keep trying to explain to people that male shibas should really be between 22 and 25lbs. And that 35 is huge.

He is smack dab in the middle of male breed standard.

Don't worry, I didn't take it as you calling him fat.

Male shibas are remarkably larger than females. Looking at Kaia and Maui, I would bet he is probably the same height as Maui.

• edited November -1
    I've heard that puppy mills and backyard breeders like to breed on the large side because the larger the dogs, the more puppies are born generally... could have something to do with it.
  • edited November -1

There is a pet store here that does sell shiba inus. I have seen a few of the pups that come from there (shiba are getting really chic i guess). Their coats looked so sad, and their owners had no idea that shibas were not a typical dog. Their dogs are delivered through a hole in a tractor trailer. UGH

If that bothers you as much as it bothered me feel free to let them know 

Rumford Pet Center

It makes me so angry. Places like that are the reason that people get dogs they can't handle (like a primitive breed!). It is how I ended up with Moto. While he is the greatest love of my life, I hate knowing someone bought him, caged him, and sent him to the pound, because he didn't know a puppy would be work.

AAAAHHHH 

• edited September 2007

Jessica - At least Moto is with you now. Smile

Heidi - You always have a nugget of knowledge to drop on us. lol - It's dope. My friends all make fun of me because I know so many random [and rather useless] facts... but I think you could give me a run for my money. Your facts are not useless tho. Laughing

• edited November -1

I agree with the Jindo comment.  There are a lot more out there than people acknowledge.  I think that many of them are labeled Shiba mix because of some of the characteristics are very similar to the Shiba but some physical differences.

As I said in a previous post I met my first Jindo, I was very excited.   

• edited November -1

Speaking of large Shibas, here is Zack, the 60lb shiba.

I wish I had a better picture, or a comparative picture.  He isn't even really fat, just HUGE.  Tallest, longest, heaviest shiba I have ever seen.  He came from a litter of 5 puppies that were dumped at a shelter in IL at the age of about 1-2 weeks, along with their mom and dad.  The entire family was taken in by MSIR and all 5 pups survived and everyone is in a happy home. 

The picture was taken at the Shiba picnic that I put on with some friends.  95 people and over 100 dogs this year. 

• edited November -1
    And congrats on Moto making a friend.  Nemo's best friend is a little Carin Terrier, they are crazy together.
  • edited November -1

Hey Brandon - have not heard from you in a while. Welcome back.  Smile

As for the Shiba - Holey Sh#t! What size where the parents? That is REALLY big - he may have some Ainu Ken blood in him [or, technically is an Ainu Ken]... but he would even be big for an Ainu so maybe it's Akita blood!

• edited November -1

WOW!  You can tell he isnt "fat"!! 

Niko has put on some weight recently.  I am attributing that to the heat this late summer and not many walks.  This time I will admit she is chunky and it isnt her coat...LOL.  I am hoping the new food will help and more exercise with the gorgeous weather. 

What is an Ainu Ken?  Havent heard of that one... 

• edited November -1
    Ainu Ken are Hokkaido, but the term is also used to refer to the standard medium sized Japanese spitz.
  • edited November -1
    i don't see a picture? i am confused. i want to see a fat shiba!!!
  • edited November -1

and then he appeared!

Also moto met his first shiba today!!!! He is in love. She is a very petite ( I would say Kaia sized) sesame named christina. You could see little hearts floating over him the whole time. I couldn't stop laughing. 

• edited November -1

Ahh Shiba love is a funny thing to watch.  Nemo has a girlfriend and her name is Takara (both fixed, no babies from them).  He was in love with her far before she would tolerate him at all.  She was about 8 months and he was about two, and he would never leave her alone at the park.  She would run and scream and he would chase, and chase, and chase.  In the end he won her over, now he treats her really well, and she is granted many special privlages from Nemo. Takara is allowed to take toys from Nemo, chew on his bones, and even hump him if she feels like it.  If any other dog, even his friends did these things (especially take a bone) a fight would ensue.  They are crazy about each other.  Here is a picture of tiny Takara trying to mount Nemo.

• edited November -1
    That's funny - I love the look on Nemo's face - looks like some serious playing had been going on.
  • edited November -1

Bear with the fact that I took these pictures with my phone. But this is Moto's new little girlfriend (if he gets a say in the matter)

• edited November -1

Well in that pic Moto looks smaller - lol! Undecided

Those are cute pics tho, he looks very stoked! The little girl Shiba is cute, nice color and mask on her face.

• edited November -1

She apparently has a brother. Her owner brought him yesterday. They are 2 and had never been socialized so he is trying to get them slowly socialized.

She did pretty well.

Her brother apparently ran with the group yesterday. I hope he and Moto get along. It would be so great for him to have some shiba friends. 

• edited September 2007

Zack's parents were pretty large.  His dad was around 30 lbs, his mom was an over 20lb female, both were just big, not fat.

Yes Nemo and Takara had been playing, and I had to keep sorting out their tieouts so they weren't in a huge knot.  Nemo has a big goofy tongue.

Moto's new friend looks very, very shy.  She has that rigid look and nervous face going, hopefully some trips to the park will do her good.

• edited November -1

Yes - I was thinking the same thing just now, in the last photo Moto's friend looks absolutely freaked. It sounds like things went well tho, so Moto must have done a good job easing his new friend into things.

If Maui ever has that look he has to be removed from the situation immediately or he will bite - not to say that is the case here - I just know that look well.

• edited November -1
    She was definitely shy. But the only time she tried to lash out is when Moto tried to mount her. And once he backed off she was cool again. She did great for her first time. If her parents keep bringing her, I think she will do really well..
  • edited November -1

Brad - Thanks for the compliment!  Good to know my tidbits are appreciated.  Most people's eyes glaze over when I talk dogs!

Jessica - I followed that link and gave those folks a piece of my mind. 

• edited November -1

Jessica - Love the the family photo, not only is Moto super cute, but your hair looks great! Might I add, that shades were a good idea, but why isn't Moto wearing his shades?! lol.

Brandon60lb Shiba?! =(0-0)= Dang...that's BIGGER then my Malinois!!! Lynx is only 45 lbs. It's got to be somewhere in the genetics, I wonder how it got there. Or maybe it's SUPER SHIBA POWER FOOD! Hahah.

That is too sweet that Nemo has taken such an interest in Takara. Aww..."puppy-love". He looks "lovestruck" in that photo.

Heidi - You are right with the backyard breeders. They do it with all breeds, the either want to "super-size" the dog or "tea-cup" them. From 150 lb German Shepherds (insanity! They are suppose to be about 60-80 lbs) to 1 lb Chihuahuas (suppose to be about 5-6 lbs)!!!

This discussion has been closed.