Possible Kai Ken in MN Rescue

edited December 2008 in Rescue
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12243377

Meet Buster!

Buster was kenneled in a high kill shelter since he was three months old. The people at the shelter loved him so they pulled his name from the euthanization list every week for three long months hoping to find him a home. The week he came here, the shelter euthanized over 50 dogs. The poor puppy spent most of his youth kenneled alone with no toys or no doggie friends to play with so he entertained himself by throwing the only things he had-his food and food dish in the air for hours at a time. Fast forward to today and he has figured out what fun toys are and the outside fascinates him! Everything from the grass, to the leaves, to the birds. He will spend hours outside watching and sniffing. Since Buster was kenneled for so long, he has a few issues to work on but in less than a week he's learned no, come, leave it, and is learning all sorts of doggie manners from his foster brother. He loves people, other dogs (although big dogs scare him a little), and cats (although he wants to play with them too much).

October 24
Buster is doing well. He is such a happy puppy. He loves people and even when the cats smack him with his claws, he still has this funny smile on his face. He goes up to everyone and loves to be petted.

We have actually, finally, worn him out and he's not bouncing off the walls anymore (right now he's outside watching people walk by-he seems to love that for some reason). We did take him to the dog park and he did really well. Of course, he's very loud when he plays so it took me a while to realize he wasn't being aggressive, just loud. Our friend brought his Border Collie over and they ran non-stop for like 3 hours and he's been pretty worn out since then.

He's not jumping up as much, and he's learning the ?leave it? (mostly with the cats he wants to pay with), ?come? (although he has selective hearing at the dog park and 'come' doesn't work there yet), and he ?sits? pretty well with some prodding. He's going in his kennel voluntarily now. Day by day, he's getting so much better.

October 27 I took Buster out to my parents today. Its official, he likes kids. He did really well. When the 4 year old wanted him to lie down (so she could bury him in the leaves), and all he did was lay down...and let himself be buried. They pulled and tugged on his leash and listen just as well to them as he did me. No jumping up either which was nice.

He also learned that the 7-year-old min-pin was in charge-no problems there and he let her be in charge. The 3-year-old border collie doesn't like to play and Buster didn't force the issue-no problem there and he just occupied himself with his nose. He seemed to love the horses and just got smacked by the cat only once. I took him into their 5 acre fenced pasture and he got to run the length of it for a few hours. He came back pretty well but it's a work in progress.

For more information about Buster's breed, please see http://www.akc.org/breeds/kai_ken/photos.cfm

Please feel free to fill out an Adoption Application on our main website, www.midwestanimalrescue.org, by clicking on the Form/Applications link under Website Features.

Thank You!

Comments

• edited November -1
    That is definitely a Kai!! For all you Kai lovers who don't have one but want one, here's your chance!!
  • edited November -1
    Beautiful Kai. I wish I could have him... but I'm all the way down in Fl.

Someone better adopt him!

-Joe
  • edited November -1
    i have looked at this kai a few times, i just melt when i see him. he looks a lot like kona. someone on this forum needs to adopt him. if i can help transport i am happy to help.
  • edited November -1
    OMG the pic of him doing "the stretch" looks just like Kohji. Kohji does that all the time! Joe, save this one too, you can have a pair!
  • edited November -1
    he has the head of my Akita.

I'll just save all the Nihon Ken and buy a ranch in Taos, NM :)

-Joe
  • edited December 2008
    For the good of the order and to close this chapter: My husband and I filed an application for this Kai rescue, Buster. Much back and forth through the e-mail with an adoption coordinator and we never did see him, but the foster family had grown to love him so much they decided they would keep him on a "forever" basis. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to Buster! From the pics and stories they posted, it seemed that he had the same loving, playful personality as Josephine, so no wonder!

Tsukitsune: Do you know how to close this thread? Otherwise, I'm sure it will just sink to the bottom, so no worries!
  • edited November -1
    I'm glad he has a forever home! He did seem a lot like Josephine in his descriptions -thanks for taking an interest in him anyway! There are always more in need when you are ready for another dog!

Thanks again! (I'll close this now)
  • edited November -1
    that's great news! thanx for the update.
This discussion has been closed.