People Suck

edited December 2008 in Rescue
Providence Rhode Island
http://www. petfinder. com/petnote/displaypet. cgi?petid=12550128
And this is how little Chocolate Chip's story goes... Animal Control was called when 2 college students called and said their female roommate had locked her part of the house they were renting and her dog was inside without food or water for a week. When Animal Control officers entered the rental, they found Chocolate Chip - a skeleton of a creature. You could see and count almost every bone on her body: every vertebrae, every rib, all of her pelvic bones. She was a repulsive sight. However, her weight wasn't even the half of it. The girl, a college student, had not only locked Chocolate Chip in her portion of the house, she locked her inside of a crate. This means that Chocolate Chip had no food, no water, and was also confined in a small metal cage. She is such a well-behaved dog that she probably didn't even bark - the loudest we've heard her get is a quiet cry. The level of emaciation Chocolate Chip had, takes weeks and weeks to reach. She was living and lying in inches and inches of feces and urine. Yes - this really does happen - and not just on tv. It happens only miles from your home where your pets can chase balls in the yard, and get treats because they're cute and sleep on a queen-size pillow top mattress with you. Chocolate Chip has now been sitting in the shelter - in another cage, but at least she gets food and water, and waste cleaned out. Even when she doesn't get to go outside and play, she's so happy to be here. Many of our dogs lose weight and become depressed in the shelter. Chocolate Chip, however, has put on a lot of weight (though she's still thin) and just bounces around in her cage - so excited to see people. She'll let you do about anything to her - she even let us cut her very long nails, and she had never met us before. If she thinks you might be getting mad, she lies on her back and wiggles around, to show that she's a good girl. Chocolate Chip is very petite - almost a pocket pit. We think she might be around two years old - her teeth are pretty white, but did have noticeable plaque build-up. She may be younger and just has suffered with so much. Come down and adopt Chocolate Chip, just in time to spoil her silly for Hanukkah or Christmas. -- Please email Martian3@aol.com to set up an appointment with a volunteer to meet Chocolate Chip. -- PLEASE REFER TO LOG # 699 WHEN INQUIRING ABOUT THIS DOG. If you would like to meet a dog, please visit the shelter during regular business hours or email aimless123@gmail.com. Shelter hours are Monday - Saturday 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM - closed holidays. Out of respect for employee schedules, volunteers can't take a dog out within 15 minutes of shelter closing time. Animal Control Officers and shelter employees do not work with the dogs and often can not provide information about the animal's personality. You must go to the shelter to arrange an adoption in person. No adoptions can be arranged over the phone or by Internet. For information on ways you can help through volunteering at the shelter, please call (401) 272-1639. You must be 18 to volunteer.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Oh man, can we bring her home?!?! She looks like a sweetheart. Stupid bitch who had her, I'm hoping she got in some kind of trouble for this?
  • edited November -1
    Chocolate Chip?? She looks more like an Oreo or a Hershey Kiss Hugs to me. So cute I'd eat her up! What a heart-rending story. If only I had a house...

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    I adore her!!! Such a sweet face. I can't believe people are so cruel.
  • edited November -1
    Oh man. That is just terrible. How could a supposedly well-educated (or getting well-educated) person do this to an animal. A week in a crate with no food or water? That is a death sentence. Not to mention how emaciated she was.

If I had land, I would scoop her up in a heartbeat. What a gorgeous girl. Best of luck to her, and whoever adopts her will be super lucky.
  • edited November -1
    Wow. What a story. I can't even put words to how angry this type of treatment makes me. Its a seriously sad state of affairs when an animal being placed in a shelter is a step up for them. I wish her all the best.
  • edited November -1
    wow, #$*@ bitch!
  • edited November -1
    Awww, what a sweetie!

Sucks to her old owner. I spit in her direction.
  • edited November -1
    OMG - she's still so tiny! What an adorable girl! People suck is putting it nicely.
  • edited November -1
    That college student should be put in a crate without food and water for a week, or two...

Glad CC was saved!!!
  • edited November -1
    What a horrible life Chocolate Chip had. I really can't wait to hear the happy ending.
  • edited November -1
    How sad. Here's to moving on to beigger and better things for CC!