Back Into Rescue - My Christmas Donation

edited December 2008 in Rescue
So, usualy each year I donate to a few rescues that are near and dear to my heart.

NorSled Husky Rescue - the first rescue I worked for and fosterd two wonderful hukies.

Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue - Where my beloved Sasha was adopted from...that dog changed my world.

And I donate collars, leads, etc to my local animal shelter in whichever town I may be living in at the time. Last year I donated a bunch of stuff to MSPCA Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in Boston.

Well, since the economy SUCKS this year and money is tight with us saving up to buy our house and such, I was pretty blue about not being able to make my usual donation. I was trying to find other creative ways to donate.

I am still sending collars, leads, toys, blankets etc, but these will be going to the Husky rescues. I have so many different ones that are in good shape and I know the rescues need them.

I will make a small Monetary donation to the MSPCA.

I bought a "Pin ups for Pit Bulls" Calendar as a present for a friend of mine :) Thanks Jessica for sharing with us!

And the latest and greatest development...I have joined the NYC Shiba Inu Rescue as a volunteer! Now I am no where near ready to foster or anything, our space and time constraints don't allow that. But I am excited to be doing my first home visit for a potental adopter in MA this weekend! I feel like my spirits have been lifted! I am so excited to help with rescue, transport, home visits and behavior evaluations! And maybe one day when we get the house and yard and I don't have to work full time, I will think about being a Foster parent again. It was always the best most rewarding thing for me and I want to share those rewards with my Husband who is ENTHRALLED that I have decided to join rescue again!

I would like to give a big thanks to Jen (Tsukitsune) for kicking my butt into gear and helping me start this process. I forgot how good it feels to find dogs their furever homes, and Im glad that magical feeling is back again :)

Comments

• edited November -1
    Good for you! There's always a need for helping hands in Rescue. Thanks for doing Rescue!

One of my sisters donates to a charity of my choice instead of buying Xmas presents. I pick a Malamute or Shiba Rescue each year.
  • edited November -1
    That's great Kristin! Sometimes its easy to get caught in a certain mindset (like donating has to be a monetary thing). It's great that you got outside the box. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Good for you, and it will be even better for the dogs.
  • edited November -1
    good for your Kristin! no need to thank me, I'm glad you live in MA and volunteered for the visit!!!
  • edited November -1
    Yay, Kristin! I think that organizion is great. I got my Tosca from there and everyone whom I had been in contact with during the process was supportive and really good... and Jen's cool, too.
  • edited November -1
    That's great!
    Nat and I have adopted this tradition of both for our Bdays (which are kind of close together) and Xmas, we don't give presents to eachother. Instead we get the money we would spend on our gifts and buy dog and cat food and litter and deliver it at the shelter we got Nyx from.
  • edited November -1
    So, I did my first home visit today! It was awesome! Miso came along because the woman (Marie) is planing on adopting a male dog so the adoption coordinator wanted to see how Nike (the Shiba) reacted to a male entering her house. Well, as usual Miso was a perfect little gentleman and very well behaved. Marie's shiba, Nike, who is approx 6 years old, (she resuced her 2 yrs ago) did great with Miso. A little nervous at first but after 20 minutes everything was a-ok and they were playing and running up and down the stairs. Marie's house was perfect for a shiba and since she already had one she was all "Shiba Proof". I am very excited to send a A+ home report to the rescue and hopefully Marie welcomes a new Shiba into her home before Christmas...I feel GREAT! (and Miso is happy to have helped!)

Some Pictures, Nike didn't like looking at the camera so I got very few.

• edited November -1
    That's great! Hopefully another Shiba has found a forever home. :-)
  • edited November -1
    thats awesome! glad it all went well!