Maui bit me today :c(

edited September 2007 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)

We thought he was doing a lot better because he has been fine with Huku (the Shiba that has been staying with us)... But today he was freaking out a bit because the landscapers where making a bunch of noise outside. So I went to pick him up and put him in his pen - that's what we do when he freaks out otherwise he will start digging on the wall or something - and he just bit the crap out of my hand. It wasn't like I need to see the doctor style, but it did break the skin and make me bleed.

We just don't know what to do with him anymore. We already have to keep him out of things because he bites dogs - now are we gonna have to worry about him biting people? I mean he is digging a deep hole for himself. Cry

Comments

• edited November -1

Brad,  I am so sorry to hear that Maui is having such a difficult time.  I thought that he was doing much better. Does he get along with your dogs?  You and Jen have been so patient with his anti-social behaviors and have tried so hard.  What options do you have? What does the behaviorist suggest?  Do you think that he would do well in a one pet situation?  How long have you had him?

• edited November -1

maui? is the one with creamy coat? i thought your black/white small shiba would be more difficult, i was wrong.

is maui came from katja as well? may be ask her what to do, or a training school?

• edited September 2007
    Sounds like displaced aggression. I'd ask a behaviorist. But yeah, sounds like for the time being, I'd watch him around people. Sorry to hear he bit you - I know it hurts inside more than outside when stuff like that happens.
  • edited November -1

Oh no...Im so sorry!  Poor little guy (and you guys).

I have learned with Niko and especially Sasha that when they are scared to not really approach them or catch them off guard.  Today we had a lot of people come in and out and Sasha was going nuts.  I did something that scared her and she turned her head with mouth open to bite me until she caught herself.  I can not imagine if she bit me!  Also when Niko is hurt or upset she has bitten, but not broken the skin.

Did Maui see you coming and going to pick him up?  He was so sweet and mellow this weekend!  I have never seen him so chill... 

• edited November -1

Moto was very mouthy when we first got him. He had pretty severe PTSD. His first owner was so negligent  of his needs and I think too harsh in some ways.

It took a lot of work but  now he never bites aggressively. He will attempt to nibble to get my attention when he is hungry or wants to go out. But we have enough of an understanding that all I have to do is look at him in "that mom way" and he stops.

What worked for us was simply putting him on his back, holding onto his face (never hard that would be far too traumatic) and looking him straight in the eye telling him "no" quietly and sternly. Basically we disciplined him just like his mother or the alpha of the pack would. Being that they are primitive breeds, they understand pack communication really well.

It sounds like you and your "pack" have access to a ton of great canine resources, so I am sure your situation will be resolved soon.

I am sorry it happened. I know it can be kind of discouraging. 

• edited September 2007

Careful with alpha rolling. Most behaviorists tell you not to do it. The mother dog may roll very young pups, but never older ones. If they are on their backs, it's because they chose to roll and be submissive. Forced alpha rolling can damage the bond you have with your dog - according to leading trainers. It's downright dangerous to try it with larger dogs, such as an Akita. You will get bit.

I 'scruff' Ronan (firm, but NEVER enough to pinch or hurt him in any way).  That, or I say, "NOooooo!" and push down on his muzzle with my hand. Now, 90% of the time, all I have to do is posture and eye contact like mama wolf, raise a lip to him and he's behaving.  I shoulder and hip bump, body block, too. This works for me, as long as I am 100% consistant. If he see me posture, he fully understands the next 'warning' he gets is a muzzle push, a scruff, or if he continues, he's in his crate.

Edit: While I can get away with a small scruff to Ronan, I could never do that with Tasha. It's too hard a correction for her. I couldn't do it with Jack, either - that'd be asking for him to grab me. Bumping, tone, and posture work like a top for Tasha and always worked for my big ole Jack.

• edited November -1

I have heard quite a few very valid debates for and against alpha rolling. And indeed your points are absolutely, incredibly relevant. I was trained to alpha roll when I was volunteering for a rescue that rehabilitated "vicious" dogs. The main point that was always made to me was regardless of method of discipline dogs are energetic beings. Especially in regard to humans.

Whether the reprimand is verbal, or physical the energy behind it is really what the dog responds to. That is why you will see dogs cower in the presence of their guardian; and that guardian has never so much as raised a hand, but their reprimands are hostile and verbally menacing. An animal knows when someone is concerned for their well being and safety.

As you mentioned 100% consistency  is huge.

Also my alpha roll may be a little different than what most people are used to (that Cesar Milan roll really upsets me, when I have seen him do it), with years of martial arts and grappling, my flip is more gentle than most people can hug. And I was taught how to do it with a 120 pound pit bull/ alaskan malamute.

• edited September 2007

Dorothy - Yea, Maui was doing MUCH better, his meds and everything seemed to be helping. I mean he was running around with Huku, the Shiba we have been watching, and had no problems... I mean they even played! This is exactly the opposite of the way he usually is. So I dunno what set it off, maybe I seemed overly energetic when I entered the room - I dunno. We plan to have our behaviorist make another visit. Maybe she will be able to help. It's sad because I think Maui just wants freedom to run in the yard and stuff, but due to his issues he has to be under our thumb all the time.

You asked the hard question tho, I REALLY don't want to give up Maui. He is my little man. He was our first, and I love that little guy so much. We dunno what to do.

----

Helen - Maui is the problem child of the bunch. Kaia, the black / tan Shiba, may seem like she is (based on the videos) but she is actually very gentle and calm. She is just working hard to establish her dominance over Hilo, who is a big guy for her. Kaia is next in line for Alpha under Me (for now - Hilo will prob. take her place). She runs the pack. She can be a scrappy little girl if she needs to tho - I mean she is a Shiba.

----

Michelle - Yes, I think you are right. He was really freaking out and wanted out of the house. He had started digging on the wall and was just totally on the edge. When I approached him he rolled over on his back (he always does that), so he was being submissive... but I guess my approach was different or something and he felt like he need to defend himself.

----

Rachael - Maui has spent a lot of time freaking out, and we have never had a problem like this. Maybe I should follow your advice and just not approach him. I mean the golden rule with dog behavior is just to ignore the behaviors you don't want to continue. I guess we should just ignore him - it's hard to do tho when he is destroying the wall.

----

Jessica - The alpha role argument can go on and on... no one really knows what the correct way to handle a dog is, and each dog is different.

When he bit me, as painful as it was, I just kept my hand in his mouth and gave zero reaction to the actual bite - in the hopes that he would learn that his teeth don't affect me; therefore it's not a good deterrent. My feeling is, I can't let him think he can control me in any way - even with a bite. When he let go I picked him up and put him in Hilo's pen (Maui doesn't have a pen anymore). We will see how that goes.

Pit Bull / Alaskan Malamute mix - that sounds like an interesting looking dog.

----

Well thanx everyone for your support and thoughts. I'm always open to advice and am interested in hearing your opinions. For now I'm still a little mad at Maui so I'm not talking to him.

• edited November -1

That was miss Bailey. She was a gorgeous girl. I shared her with a roommate. That roommate was moving to a house in the woods, I was in Manhattan; needless to say which home was going to be happiest for her.

That was over 10 years ago (jeepers time flies!)I'll see if I can dig up a picture of her. Jay and I have so much stuff in storage. 

Good luck with Maui. I am sure you guys will figure out a solution. 

This discussion has been closed.