The strangest thing happened to us today!

edited September 2007 in General

We took Hilo to breakfast with us at this bagel place where we can sit outside. Immediately when we got there, before we even sat down, this young girl ran out of the restraint and asked to pet Hilo. We sad yes, and she started giving Hilo love. She left and went back inside. Five minutes later she came back out to love on him some more and took a picture - asked some questions - stayed for about 5 minutes, then left. Then she came out again, this time with more questions about Hilo and where we got him - I answered and she went back inside.

So towards the end of our meal she comes out with her mom and dad - they say how much they like Hilo and give him some love then walk to there car. I ran inside to use the restroom and came out to find Jen sitting there with this SHOCKED look on her face...

The little girl had come back over to her while I was gone and asked how much it would cost for them to BUY HILO FROM US!!! Jen said she was like "oh, he is from a breeder in Spain and was not cheap" then the little girl (14 years old or so) said "No, I mean we want to buy him". Jen said "Um, Hilo's not for sale".

Can you believe that? I mean both of us where just speechless for a while after that - I mean... Buy our dog!... As if he is a car or something... I mean really?

Obviously those people should NEVER own a pet if that is what they think.

Can you guys believe that? I'm still shocked!

Comments

• edited November -1

The week I got Moto, I went to a salon to buy shampoo and brought him inside with me. One of the hairdressers screams "You can't leave before I get to meet your dog!" I thought it was kind of cute so I stayed. She comes up and oohs and aahs over him. She asks a few questions about the breed, and then she says I want him! I laugh and say I can write down what kind of dog he is and recommend the rescue from which I got him. She responds "No. I want HIM. " I say "Excuse me?" She says "I want to buy him, how much? Look he likes me!" I look at her and say "Lady, you would have to kill me, and I assure you much better than you have tried" I felt sick to my stomach. And started to buy shampoo somewhere else.

6 months later I am at a sidewalk cafe with him. She is at the table next to us. Now mind you, I have bright red hair and am literally covered in tattoos. And Moto is the only black and tan shiba inu in Providence. She looks over and says "Oh he is so cute. What kind of mix is he?" I am shocked because I will never forget her, but say" He isn't a mix, he is a shiba inu" to which she responds. "Oh I have heard of those, I met one a few months ago. But yours is cuter"

I almost punched her.

I rescued Moto from someone like her. Someone who got a shiba because of how they look, and never bothered to look into what guardianship of a dog let alone a japanese breed entails.

I swear between morons like these and the Michael Vicks of the world, people should have to pass some sort of aptitude test  before being allowed to have a dog!

• edited November -1

Yea, I agree - they should have a dog owners license or something... The only issue with that is it would be run by the government - and you know the gov. would end up messing it up.

That is a crazy story tho - I just can't believe the nerve some people have... Or the lack of intellectual depth... Or whatever it is that would cause someone to be so detached from the fact that dogs (or any creature) are living creatures and not a material thing. It bothers me but I think I am more just weirded out by it - because it's so foreign to me.

• edited November -1

I just can't relate. My husband and I have Moto, 4 cats, a snake, a chinchilla,2 tazmanian millipedes,and our hedgehog literally just passed away Saturday.

He and I have both been sobbing over an animal that so many people just look at and consider weird or even gross (they do eat worms). And we loved out little Artichoke more than some love their kids.

Your are spot on though it really is an emotional disconnect. 

• edited November -1

Ok...I had you until MILLIPEDES!  Im cutting you off...Go to your corner!  Im shutting the curtain on you!Money mouth

(BTW I agree but I am too creeped out at the moment to reply! LMAO) 

• edited November -1

Kang and Kodos

This is Kang. She is very sweet. Kodos looks a lot like her.

They like cucumbers. 

• edited November -1

Wow - you have a zoo! That's cool tho. I'm sorry to hear about Artichoke.  Frown

I had always had fish, odd inverts, and amphibians - so I understand what you mean. You can mos def form a bond with any living thing. Two of my best friends in high school was a fiddler crab that would sit on my shoulder, and Fatty Frog - he would wake me up every morning just sitting on top of his tank croaking at me - I miss them.

• edited November -1

YellOk Jessica...I dont know if I can ever trust you again!!!!!!  I have a horrible fear of creepy crawlies and I think my spine will shiver for the next couple of hours!!  GRRRR

Wink

• edited November -1

Here....

Cute Pictures I Promise

I was afraid of bugs too. My friend (who is a biologist) had his house burn down. The bugs survived. We took them on for him. When the first generation of bugs passed we missed them (never thought that would happen) and we got Kang and Kodos.

• edited November -1

Moto is a handsome Shiba!

• edited November -1
    Thanks. We think so
  • edited November -1

Yeah, it amazes me that animal shelters even exist.  I can't even possibly imagine just walking in there and leaving one of my dogs behind.  I mean, I wouldn't just be able to say, "see you later," and never see them again.  I think there should be laws making it harder to obtain animals or something...