Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comments

• edited November -1
    Sarah, where are you?
    Geographically speaking?
  • edited November -1
    Jessica - I live in Virginia

The photos are from a trip to Hungary. The Standard Schnauzers and Border Collie belong to some German friends of mine. We were doing some sightseeing.
  • edited November -1
    thanks, I kept thinking "if she is in the US I live in the wrong part of the country"
  • edited November -1
    Handsome!! :)~
  • edited November -1
    Great pics! I was thinking the same thing as Jessica! The BC in that one pic looked like an REL for about 1/2 a second, I was like "Is that a new one?". lol

It's always great to see pics of your pups - RELs are just amazing dogs! I am forever envious of you. :o)

----
  • edited November -1
    Wow, those are awesome pics!

That's very cool that you got to do some traveling with your pup. Was that logistically difficult to do?
  • edited November -1
    Great shots! I am curious as well about traveling with your pup.
  • edited November -1
    Ah yes, I do love the European cities. That schnauzer is real cute, just want to kiss him on the nose!!!
  • edited November -1
    Cool photos, Triepak is a handsome guy!

That electric outlet gives the European location away ;-) I haven't been to Hungary yet, but it looks great!
  • edited November -1
    What fantastic settings for your beautiful dogs! Great photos.
  • edited November -1
    beautiful dogs and scenery! Triepak is a great looking REL!
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for sharing the pics! Looks like a fantastic journey, and what fun that Triepak had some doggies to visit along with the humans. All the animals look so well-behaved!

Just curious: Does the time change seem to mess with the doggy (jetlag, etc.)?
  • edited November -1
    Thanks all! I would really recommend Hungary. I was really only in Budapest (did you know it is actually two cities? Buda and Pest...split by the Danube River! It is like the Twin Cities of Eastern Europe!) but there was a ton to explore and see! I would go back. Good food too.

Triepak initially wanted to hand Moritz his ass! Moritz is only about 18 months old and basically what you would expect from an adolescent Standard Schnauzer. (btw the Standard Schnauzer in Europe is a dog you touch only with permission. They are pretty sharp there!) But, I was very proud of Triepak. He didn't take the bait LOL. He was sort of dismissive..."Look kid - Old age and treachery will ALWAYS outdo youth and enthusiasm! Cool it!"

The members of Team Laika are great travelers. All are crate trained from a young age. They have been back and forth across the Atlantic a few times. Various members have been to Holland, Finland, Estonia, Slovakia, Poland, Russia, Italy, and Germany. Some trips have been for shows. Triepak and Guska actually lived in Estonia for a time (2003-2004) with the owner of their sire. It's pretty fun to travel with dogs in Europe since they are often permitted so many places. Restaurants, shops, even public transport if you have a muzzle for them.

Dogs don't seem to be affected by jetlag. They are happy to go out and about when you are ready. I really don't think mine notice that they are someplace different! They tend to do the same things wherever they are! We find a park to hike around, they bark at squirrels. We go on walks around the city, they make themselves at home in the hotel room!

We were both pretty snoozy after arrival on this one. Our planes were delayed out of Dulles and out of Frankfurt. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me get him out in Germany so by the time we got to Budapest, poor Pak had been in his box for about 17 hours. He was a champ though, and didn't pee.
    It was a squeaky, urgent box that I collected at the airport! He is too large to fly in the cabin so he goes as excess baggage in cargo. I never sedate them. It is pressurized but cold. I often think that they have a better flight than I do! I am crammed in coach with some squawking kid kicking my seat, and the dog is in his familiar crate with a blankey and a chewie. They are likely stressed with the moving and loading of the box, but after that they likely just curl up and go to sleep.

Logistics are minimal, or maximal, depending on the country. Hungary only needed proof of a Rabies vaccine within the year. I just took copies of the distemper titers since I don't vaccinate for DHLPP every year. The island countries require more planning (i.e. rabies titers 6 months prior to departure and that sort of thing). Other countries require deworming to prevent the introduction of Echinococcus, also Frontline application within 24 hours of departure.

Airlines require a health certificate within 10 days of travel and international trips require signatures and stamping endorsement from the USDA veterinarian (but he/she doesn't have to see the dog).

I always pack familiar toys and treats and bring their food along. Here is Triepak in the hotel with his Kong!

Here he is taking a nap in his box

Here we are waiting in the lobby for departure

That reflective collar really does reflect!
  • edited November -1
    That is soo awesome you travel all over. It is amazing over there!
  • edited November -1
    LOL, you make it sound so easy. :-P I think its great that you can travel with you dogs. Its something I look forward to doing some day. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Yea, you do make it sound easy! Maybe Jen and I need to try some international travel with a pup - that sounds great!

I had no idea about Buda and Pest, that is really interesting!

----
  • edited November -1
    That's really cool about travelling with your dogs...might need to look into this.
  • edited November -1
    beautiful! looks a little like home to me ;o)
  • edited February 2009
    Thanks for the photos and info on how you travel. Beautiful cities!
    Funny you mention the dog is name Moritz and his behavior ....I think of an old hand me down book I had as a kid (which is online now) called Max and Moritz.(LOL). Yeah I was raised with the sidelines of "Grimmisque" readings. No Disney for me at bed time :0

http://www.childrensbooksonline.org/max_und_moritz/index.htm

Snf

PS; with the pet industry and its growth here in the U.S. hopefully we will see greater accommodations for pets, if owners will take care to make sure their animal is a good ambassador. I think there was some sort of agility event in the past year and the group was banned from the hotel for disregarding hotel requests to prevent dogs from swimming in the pool. Apparently folks also had dogs that trashed hotel rooms while the owners were off partying, so certain situations make it a lot harder for the rest when traveling here in the states.
  • edited November -1
    I missed this thread the first time around. Looks like a great trip.
  • edited November -1
    That is so true. As usual, there is a minority that will ruin the fun for the rest of us. Mine are ALWAYS crated unless I am in the room. They are good house dogs and typically don't mess up anything, but I don't take the chance. Even if I just walk down the hall to fill an ice bucket, they are in the box.

I like to use Marriott Residence Inns in the US. They have suites with a little kitchen and fridge. There is a flat rate fee for dogs which is $75-$150 but if you are staying for a 4-day weekend, it is totally worth it considering it is $75 per DAY minimum to board the Trio.
  • edited November -1
    I am from Europe and this is one thing I really miss.... taking my dog EVERYWHERE and restaurants LOVING dogs, providing water bowl and all... oh well. maybe one day, even in AMerica we'll be able to take our canine companions everywhere.