help help help

edited August 2007 in General

hi, every body:

katja just sent me a email, she got 4 pups yestday, 1 male, 3 females, she ask me if i would agree to take a female instead of a boy, cause if i really want a boy, i may have to wait for another year or more.

what should i do? by the time i have got the pup home, it's almost winter, then i  have to walk the small thing in the snow?Surprised

any idea? boy or girl? winter pup or summer pup? help....

Comments

• edited November -1
    I dont have a shikoku but I have 2 girls and I think that they are wonderful.  I have heard that girls are much easier than boys but I know Brad and maybe some others may know more specific differences.  I am getting a boy next so we dont have all girls so I am a little nervous about that.
  • edited November -1
    easier? sound good. wow, you got 2 shibas? i have heard that shiba is more diffcult then shikoku, but they are deadly cute tho.
  • edited November -1

I don't think you would really see that much of a difference between a male and female - I mean since you don't have any, you are starting "fresh". If you had no real reason to want a male I don't think getting a female instead would make a big difference. If you needed a male for breeding, or something like that, then it's a different story.

As for the winter vs. summer - Shikokus have VERY thick rugged coats, they are "made" for the winter. The pups are especially fluffy and warm. Honestly I think it would be better to have them as a puppy in the winter. Ahi, as a puppy, was ALWAYS hot!

As for Shibas being more difficult than Shikokus - I think that depends on what you mean by "difficult". Shibas are much higher maintenance, but Shikokus require a LOT more exercise.

Let us know what you choose! Good luck! I bet your so excited! Laughing

• edited November -1

I see, the frame i have made for myself don't seems right, i am not a breeder, the reason i always like boys is that they are easier to be fixed, unlike female if the surgery went wroung, it's gonna be life time Cry I guess this is the main reason, also, i have had a German Sharpherd many years ago, the breeder told me that since i am famale, boy pets will be more suitble for me, girl pets will be better for a male owner.

other then those two reasons, i can't find any other reason for me to not to have a girl, one thing you are so right, i am so excited, nervous too.

you are amazing, have no problem to deal with so many dogs at same time.

• edited November -1

I actually have one shiba and a rottie/pitt mix.  Our shiba girl is daddys girl.  I think that it has a lot to do with how he plays with her.  Our mix is a rescue and she is all about her mommy.  She is more on gaurd when daddy is gone, not as relaxed but she follows me everywhere, announces me whenever I come into the room and her whole body wags when I come home from work.  Daddy gets jealous about her outward excitement over me.  We have heard before that girls are better for males and males are better for females.  That is why my husband got a female shiba.  He wanted a daddy's girl.  We are planning on getting a boy soon and I am nervous about a few anatomy issues.  I never heard about problems with females being fixed...?

I think that no matter what you will get your perfect puppy and be totally in love. 

• edited November -1
    I dont think Shiba's are more difficult.  I dont know if I could handle a shikoku.  I love brad's Ahi so much but she is so much.  I know my lifestyle would not fit with a shikoku, meaning im lazy.  I love my shiba and would get many more during my lifetime and I hope our home will be good for an Akita Inu.  Shiba's are a forever work in progress.  They learn so much so fast but it is up to them to choose when they will apply it all.  Im getting a little loopy on sleeping pills and pain meds so I will stop here before I make an even bigger fool of myself.Tongue out
  • edited November -1

how is your shiba, stubburn? screaming easily? very independent? hard to teach? that's what i thought about shiba, that's why i deside to go for shikoku, even though i am so in love with shiba.

i am kind "lazy" as well, it's going to be a bit challenge for me to handle a shikoku tho.but i love their temperment, and the serious small eyes. Wink

• edited November -1

Do you already have another dog? If so, usually opposites are better. Usually. If you don't have another dog, I'd take the female. Which breeding pair? If it's a Mikey daughter, I'd seriously consider her. That's Ronan's dad, and he's a super sweet dog.

I don't believe the person who said men should have female dogs and women should have male dogs. I have both without a single problem. Tasha loves me to pieces and I her.

Fixing... yes, it is more heartbreaking to see your little female suffer through a spay. Not fun. Just make sure to wait until she's about 9 mos, then make sure the vet has experience spaying young dogs. Also, ask for a full blood panel before hand (to check for issues before anethesia), and have them run an IV for fluids. Then, just keep her quiet - no running - until the vet says.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide - we're all anxious.

• edited November -1

all i know is the pups mother name is : aiko. and it's her first time gave borth.

i had a Germen Sherpherd long time ago, don't have any right now. i am anxious too.

i saw Ronan pics, sooooo good looking, lucky you.

• edited November -1

Females do have a more intrusive operation when being fixed - that's for sure. I wouldn't let it change your choice tho - when Ahi was fixed she had a piece of her intestine removed due to a "mineralized tissue" growth. So she had that and the spay operation and she didn't even miss a beat. I mean, I think she slept the day after and then she was right back to being her crazy Ahi self.

I dunno who Aiko is - except for this pup who came from Katja:

http://www.akita.pl/shikoku/shikoku-ang.html

• edited November -1

ok, i just found out,  mom is aiko, father is mike

next time will be : yana and joshi,

did any of you seen those dogs before? are they good looking ? good temperment? (am i too much? Embarassed)

katja want me to have a girl at this time, still 2 girls don't have the buyer yet.

• edited August 2007

My opinion? I'd GLADLY take a female from this mating.

Katja says that Aiko is a real sweet girl.

I know first hand from meeting Mike personally, that he's not only one handsome fella, but he's truly as sweet and good as it gets.

If you like the looks of Ronan, then you're seeing Mike... Ronan looks a LOT like his dad., maybe a tad darker and a bit less white, but that's all. And Ronan is a geniune love-bug. You can wake Ronan from a sound sleep and he's fine - instantly ready to love and snuggle and be fussed over. I've only seen pics of Aiko - and I think her looks are stunning. Keep in mind the pups could be sesame, dark sesame, or red sesame. What you really want is the personality and health. I'm sure all the pups are beautiful.

Thanks for the compliments on Ronan. I need to post new ones as he's by far more handsome every day. He's 11 mos old today!

Brad - The Aiko I remember was laying in front of a refrigerator. See page 4 on this site - News From Katja.

• edited November -1
    Niko was fine the next day after being fixed.  It was hard to get her in the car because she was in pain.  She came home, went right into her kennel and went to sleep.  I think the Japanese breeds tend to be drama queens when they get hurt, but once they snap out of it they dont let it phase them. They love the attention and then roll with it.  Just my opinion, I may be wrong since I truely only have real experience with the Shiba but have dont research on all of them.  And I am addicted to brad's pack.
  • edited November -1

Michelle - That's right, that's who Aiko is - my mistake.

Here is a pic of Aiko: http://www.nihonken.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=113

MyShikoku - I agree with Michelle, that mix should produce an amazing dog. I would go for it! Ronan is a great looking dog and Aiko is beautiful. I know Katja was really stoked to get Aiko back. No you are not too much - this is why the forum is here, to help. :c)

Rachael - Shibas are mos def drama queens!

Shikokus, as far as pain goes, I'm not sure about... Ahi hurt her paw the other day when she destroyed the floor of her pen. We walked her 3 miles on gravel and sidewalk only to get her home to find her paw was bleeding all over the place [we are bad parents]. She didn't even show the slightest bit of pain, she had a large peace of wood sticking out of her paw... But no complaints. When we pulled the wood out she looked at us like, what was that? The only time she should any pain was when we cleaned the wound and put some quick-stop on it. Ahi is tough as nails.

If that happened to one of the Shibas they would have screamed for hours.

• edited November -1

haha....

intersting, i may be wroung, but shiba does look softer, more like a small girl, shikoku more like a boy, try to be tough.

ok, so i should get a girl then? that means i have to take the pup to school in the snow. and have her fixed in the summer. what? Surprised

• edited November -1

It will all work out and be worth it!

I miss the snow so much!!!!!!!Frown

• edited August 2007

I'd find an indoor class! She'll be fine, but it'd be cold for you. When I got Ronan, Vancouver had lots of snow. He was plowing through snowbanks larger than he was.

Ronan can work the drama of the trauma - remember the poop monster?

You'll be suprised at how tough - and somewhat delicate your female Shikoku can be. Tough acting, feminine to look at I think. Especially with that naturally svelt waistline Shikokus have.

Yeah. I say you go for it. Pick one of those little girls and make her yours. Your decision though. You'll be caring for and living with your choice for many many years to come.