hi, guys

how are you, every one, i am going to have my shikoku with in half year, what should i prepar for my puppy? i have got him a big kannel, i am going to get a bike so i can run with him, training paper, i have it.  is there any thing else i should do? sure the puppy will need a insurence just like my cat, what about raw meat? ....

thanks for all kinds feed back, by the way, i am from toronto. any of you?

enjoy your weekend 

Comments

• edited November -1

Hey! Welcome to the forum!

As far as preparation goes, the material things you need to get for a Shikoku pup are basically the same as you would need for any other medium size dog. The real key to the preparation is getting prepared for the Shikokus very high energy level and freakish intelligence. I would make sure you have a trainer that you are comfortable with and have found plenty of places to take your pup for walks and what not. That, in my opinion, is where the REAL preparation needs to be.

As far as material things go, Shikokus seem to house break very easily and are relatively calm in doors. They don't seem to love being crated so you may want to invest in a pen when your pup is around 6 months or so. Ahi, our Shikoku, loves to chew - so things like rawhide and bully sticks work very well.

Ahi has always done REALLY well on RAW, we try to feed RAW as much as possible - but it does seem that Shikoku are picky eaters so it may differ with your Shikoku. At the very least plan to feed a top-quality grain-free kibble - they need as much of their food to be digestible as possible since they are so high energy.

We are in Atlanta Georgia - but I know there are some users from Canada too.

BTW: Where are you getting your Shikoku from?

~Brad

• edited August 2007

hi, brad:

i am going to get the pup from katja, your too? i am sure you know her. she would like her dogs to have raw meat.  i have found a good training school in toronto, but they don't even know what shikoku is... they have trained few shibas before tho.

to me, i don't care if my dog is on my bed, but not a sofa eater or cat eater for sureTongue out  (i have a maine coon, he is my boss)

since the pup only be able to hold pee for 3 hrs, do you realy have to get up at mid of the night to take the pup out for pee?   poor me, i need my beauty sleepUndecided

if there is any japanese dog owner live in toronto, please let me know, i would love to meet them.

by the way, i saw your Ahi on youtube, hope could see them more offten.

see hi to your "evil" pups

• edited November -1

Ahi came from Katja - actually all but one of the Shikoku owners on this forum came from Katja. Both Katja and Peggy have good respectful breeding programs.

Ahi never woke us up in the middle of the night to pee - so I think you will be safe with your beauty sleep. Smile I would be sure to take the pup out first thing in the morning when you get up tho.

Yes, my pups are on You Tube - I dunno if they do a good job representing the breeds tho - lol - they are kinda crazy.  Embarassed