Handsome Hanzo

edited October 2008 in Rescue
Meet Hanzo - he's the beautiful Shiba Inu currently living in my kitchen. He was pulled from a shelter and brought to my home as a foster until something can be arranged for him. He is adoptable.
-He is approx 5-7 years of age. He has some aged whiting on his face, so I'm not sure about the age, really.
-He is neutered and UTD on his shots.
-He is sort of special needs, he has 3 legs, but gets around pretty well.
-He is dog reactive, snaps and shows teeth. We hope to work on this in the next few weeks and see where we are with this.
-He is OK around cats and adults that respect his space and aren't overly zealous to meet him. He is not ideal for children under 12, although I haven't tested that assumption yet.
-He needs to put on some weight, he is visibly skinny.
-I hope to know more about his leg situation after x-rays on Thursday. It seems he was picked up as a stray with the leg a preexisting condition, already healed and everything. It is a mystery.

Meet Hanzo:

From Hanzo!
From Hanzo!
From Hanzo!

Comments

• edited November -1
    What a handsome boy! I think any family would be lucky to have him. :)
  • edited November -1
    He's definitely a handsome little guy :D ~
  • edited November -1
    He is cute! Congrats!
  • edited November -1
    I wish him all the best finding a home. I'm glad he's in capable hands.
  • edited October 2008
    Very cute, although I think he looks a little bit unsure at the moment. I am sure he will settle in though.
    You are super for taking him on to foster too!

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Poor guy. Everything will just get better for him from now on.
  • edited November -1
    Not to be a gloomy Gus but I think I would be irresponsible if I didn't express a bit of concern. Mostly for Hachi who is just starting to accept you as her family. A huge shift in her environment/pack/and routine really could set her back pretty severely.

I agree that it is wonderful to foster. But one of the reasons I don't with my pack is the emotional fragility of Piglet. She was so traumatized by Miko and our move that it took me months to get her back on track.

From what you have told us about Hachi she sounds infinitely more fragile than Piglet and I am worried.

I am sure that you have considered much of this, but I know how easy it can be to let compassion get in the way of seeing the forest through the trees.
  • edited October 2008
    no worries, I should have elaborated but didn't feel I needed to.
    Hachi is just playing all last night and this morning. She doesn't give a crap that there is a dog in the kitchen. In fact, none of them do.
    Except Hanzo, he can hear them playing and he's barking a bit.

If I didn't feel that we had a pretty good handle on Hachi, I wouldn't have done it. If total compassion is what drove me, then I think I would have brought him in in early September when he was picked up as a stray, but Hachi wasn't ready. Now that he is on the short list b/c he was avail for adoption since 9/27 and not a single application... I think its more practical than compassion, or a little of both, but I felt I needed to pull him now before he started to fall apart, because the signs were all there... and he started to lose more weight... pacing, drooling, dull eyes.. it was just time for him to get into a home setting. I watched him come in, I played with him while he was on hold for pick up, I talked about breed to spectators on the adoption floor, but no one was going to adopt him or rescue him.
    He wasn't a priority to anyone, not a single person, but me. I hope I am driven by compassion in the long run, I would be proud of myself.

And he's doing well, he went on two walks - he is durable! Even in slushy snow! And he is housebroken. He layed next to me last night on the kitchen floor while I read my book. He let me brush him. Rub his belly. He's a sweety with people.

Anyway I am happy with my decision, it wasn't and is not an easy one for sure, but no one else would help this dog. 3 rescues turned him down as non priority - including the shiba rescue. This is the first shiba since 1998 at the shelter I work at, they had no idea how to help him and if I didn't feel the need to help him, no one else was going to. And we discussed Hachi prior to it, and she seems quite unaffected, which is all we could ask for.
  • edited November -1
    I hope that continues to be the case.
  • edited November -1
    Hanzo seems to be a very handsome boy. I am sure you are doing everything in your power to assist with his issues and find him a forever home.

And I am very glad that Hachi does not seem to be affected by his arrival. I hope all continues to go well, and wish you and Hanzo the best of luck! :)

Keep us updated, and of course, more spam!
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Casey!
  • edited November -1
    This morning Hachi tried to get him to play on the other side of the gate/barrier. He barked at her, no tail wag or anything. So she went about her business and played with Kitsu and a loofa dog instead. She's incredible.

In a few weeks, would introducing him to Hachi be more beneficial? They might find a better understanding, and she is our most calm. We usually use Tsuki as ambassador dog b/c she goes right into play stance, but that overwhelmed Hanzo. Just thinking 'out loud'.
    - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also, anyone who can and will - please ask around - this dog would make a good companion to an older couple or people without kids or a person with either with a cat or who wants an only pet. I suspect he is older than previously determined at my shelter, his eyes look like they have some cataract formation. He is completely mobile but gets tired fast, like after 2 blocks, he's done. He's already neutered and UTD on shots. He's skinny but he's eating a bit here and there and pottying normal. He's pretty good on a leash already. His only major issue that we can determine is his incompatibility with other dogs. This might change over time, it might not.
    We expect his bloodwork back tomorrow for more medical info on him.
    Email me if you have any questions - shibaslave@gmail.com
    I'm more than willing to help transport to a home (i'd want to do a home check anyway). It doesn't have to be within Pennsylvania.

Thank you.
  • edited November -1
    I just wanted to post Hanzo's petfinder page in case anyone can take the time and spread the word about him needing a home.

thanks - http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12312611
  • edited November -1
    He's on the National Shiba Rescue site, under POMV, if anyone knows of anyone that is a good match for my Handsome Hanzo :)

http://national.shibarescue.org/hanzo/hanzo.html
  • edited November 2008
    Hanzo is getting much more comfortable in our home, not with the doggies yet but in general. We've started to let him explore a bit and crate the other 2 so he has the chance to just chill with us. He loves the fishtank.

and just chilling with me on the couch:
    again with the fishtank!

He is still available and looking for that forever home, if you know anyone looking for an only dog, a low-key lovebug of a shiba inu - I've got him!
  • edited November -1
    Hahah...I love the fish tank photos...he looks very taken by the fish -laughs-. It's so cute!
  • edited November -1
    Hanzo - "mmmm, fresh sushi...."
  • edited November -1
    thanks! I think he's cute too, but I'm just plain smitten with him.
    And I hope he doesn't eat those goldfish - they are full of crap!
  • edited November -1
    Hanzo has captured my heart too. I wish he was better with other dogs because I would adopt him right up! Oh well, I really hope he finds a great forever home! Im sure he will, he is such a great doggie!
  • edited November -1
    Love the pics, especially the "fish-gazing"! I was just thinking what a strong dog Hanzo must be when he's on his (one) back paw and leg looking in the fish tank --- adaptive behavior! What a cutie, and hope someone comes forward to give him a nice home before the holidays!
  • edited November -1
    me too!!!
    we actually do have an e-application in on him now.. :))
  • edited November -1
    the application was a no go, but we're still looking for a dogLESS (his applicant didn't think that was serious) home or dogless foster home for him...

Some Hanzo cuteness:
    His happy face

and a play video

• edited November -1
    He's such a cutie and seems to have tons of personality. I'm sure he will find the perfect home.
  • edited November -1
    he does have tons and tons of personality! how is your new foster?
  • edited November -1
    Hanzo is such a handsome shiba and don't let that three legs fool ya I had a cat that had three legs and she was playfuly and able jump up on couches no problem I really hope he finds a good home that'll love him forever.
  • edited November -1
    Hanzo running around like a nut

he is such a handsome dog
  • edited November -1
    Poor John! Don't pick on him just because he can't keep up with a three-legged dog who's probably around 30 lbs and has hit his golden years!

I love Hanzo. Hearing about how well he is doing always makes me smile and he's just so cute.
  • edited November -1
    Man, if I didn't know he was a tripod I probably wouldn't even notice in that video.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, looks like a four legged dog running around to me! What a well adjusted little guy! I just love Hanzo!
  • edited November -1
    I hope Hanzo finds a home soon. He seems to be such a good dog.