A video of Ahi's frustration...

edited August 2007 in General

Ok, we have all chatted about Shikokus and how they frustrate easily. Here is a video [yes, another video] of Ahi getting frustrated because Maui will not play with her. It sound hectic, and is kinda hectic, but you can see they never really make much contact. You can also tell Ahi is pretty submissive to Maui, even tho he is less than half her size.

I'm posting this video because I think it's a good example of the way a Shikoku frustrates and I think it shows how easily it can escalate if the other dog doesn't understand "Japanese" [aka the way Japanese dogs communicate]. I think it's also a good example of why Ahi doesn't go to camp anymore, and how tuff Shibas are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkN7HQRIebw

Comments

• edited November -1

Yep. That's how is is at our house, except Tasha ends up nearly losing it because Ronan refuses to take no for an answer. I usually have to intervene. They don't fight, but Tasha gets totally ticked off. Ronan just stays in that frustration mode.

I don't have a video camera yet, but I'd like to.

Brad, does Ahi go ballistic and lose control if you hold and confine her? Ronan will do this when he goes into sheer panic mode - i.e. vet exams, or (LOL!) if he ends up with a 'cling-on' and fears the turd monster is out to get him. He won't let me hold him still to remove the 'offender' and gets rather nasty about that. All other times, he's super sweet and wants to be held, touched, loved, and fussed over 7x24.

• edited November -1

"Turd Monster" - LMAO!!! Laughing 

Yes, Ahi absolutely hates being held down. She gets VERY nasty if we try to confine or force her to stay still - like a wild animal. It's a real treat when it comes to nail trimming [I know you have experienced that too] and brushing.

Ahi has not had to any issues with the "turd monster", but I could see that being a problem if she did. Maui totally freaks when the turd monster visits him... Probably not the way Ahi would, but he screams and 'donkey kicks' like a total spaz.

When it comes to Ronan and Ahi, the difference is Ahi really doesn't like to be touched much at all - BUT - she has started to come to me for affection. So she may calm down and be a bit more snuggly. Maui hated to be held and touched when he was a pup too - but now he is the most snuggly of all our pups. Could be his meds tho.

---

BTW: I used my normal digital camera for those videos - I gave my video camera to mi sister when she had her first kid, so I have to use other means. The camera seems to work well - it even has a hi-def mode!

• edited November -1
    Turd monster???
  • edited August 2007

Have you never experienced this? Jen and I have always called it the "Poo Dangler", but I like "Turd Monster" better. Basically it's either when a little bit of excrement gets caught in there fur - or if they are having a bit of a problem pushing a piece out. For us it tends to happen a lot during the time the pups are shedding heavily and they are consuming a lot of there own hair... Tends to make there excrement a bit stringy. This type of event often leads to "Poo Foot" which happens because they [or sometime you] step in it while they are freaking out. It's always a pleasant experience.

I can't believe I just wrote that - gross!  Frown

• edited August 2007

Yeah, we call them turd monsters now for Ronan. With Tasha, they're just 'cling-ons.'

Here's the story of the turd monsters:

Ronan has a weird habit of licking fabric and the carpet. Well, apparently, he'd ingested some of my long hair, which went through him. Problem was that the hair didn't fully come out with his poop, hence he wound up with a piece of poop hanging out of his butt. He completely freaked! He came barreling toward me at warp speed, threw himself on the grass and proceeded to whine and scream. I freaked, thinking something was really wrong with him until I saw the offending turd monster. I went to get a paper towel and went to remove it like I have done in the past with Tasha. Ronan growled and snapped at me and twisted in the air like a tasmanian devil. I mean he acted like a cat with displaced aggression! I finally was able to snatch the offender and all was well again. Well, sorta. Ronan stuck to me like glue for an hour - like he was afraid the thing would come back. Laughing

Three days later, we were walking the dogs in a park. Same thing happens to Ronan except that there are now a bunch of people around. He wouldn't let Ray or I hold him still long enough to remove the turd monster that was freaking him out so badly. You wouldn't believe the whining, growling, and aerial acrobats Ronan was doing to free himself, including trying to eat the thing.Money mouth No amount of consoling worked. He was out of control. Adults are grabbing their children. People are backing away from us. I finally got lucky and nabbed the thing. Within seconds, he was back to fine again - in fact, overly lovey-dovey. But two seconds earlier, he would have bitten me without hesitation. It's part of their primitive nature. Ever notice how wild animals completely freak when confined or if they panic? So far, that's Ronan. Seems like it is Shikokus in general?

Tasha, on the other hand, just tends to spend in circles like a rodeo horse, hoping to shot-put the thing off her butt. But, she'll easily let me help her. Ronan acts like the dang thing is going to kill him and gobble him up on the spot, and I'm trying to hold him still for the kill. Hence turd monster. It's his own private boogey-man.

Okay, now that I've managed to gross everyone out and make them laugh at the same time... I've got to ask, does your dog/shikoku do this? How are they about getting their temp taken? Tasha is ready to bolt, but she's okay. Jack could have cared less. Ronan screams and freaks.

But, on the upswing, he's starting to get better about nail trimming again. Can't do them all at once, though. He doesn't have a problem with being brushed at all. I can even brush his teeth.

• edited November -1
    LMAO!  Are you sure Ronan isnt related to Niko??  She has had that happen so many times.  When we lived at our old condo people came out trying to see what was wrong with her.  Gotta love the Japanese screamers!