Mame Shiba

edited August 2008 in Other Breeds
Ok, so the Japanese are breeding toy shibas (maybe you have already done this one), and they call them mame shibas, meaning "bean". Here's a pic.

http://www.mameshiba.com/mameshiba/pict7.JPG

So they are the perfect beehive hotel dog??? I don't know about this one. I like regular shibas, what are your opinions? How about mame shikoku, they would be the size of shibas :O

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Small dogs have been all the rage in Japan for the past few years. Dachsunds were big for a couple years, then Toy Poodles, and Chihuahuas. Unscrupulous breeders jumped on the bandwagon and started attempting to breed smaller lines of Shiba to make a mini Shiba. They decided to call them 'Mame-Shiba'.

Mame-Shiba are not recognized by the Japan Kennel Club, Nihonken Preservation Society or the National Monument Shibaken Preservation Society, and they have rejected bids to have Mame-Shiba registered as a separate breed. Nippo will not even allow dog them to be registered, as it goes against their charter to preserve the Japanese dog breeds according to their traditional, healthy breed standards.

Mame's are often just Shiba that were born slightly smaller and marketed as Mame-Shiba. In worse case scenarios, breeders are breeding smaller dogs with no regard for the breed's preservation/temperament/health, coupled with systematically starving puppies to keep them malnourished so they don't grow. There have also been cases where puppies that were sold as Mame-Shiba and turned out to be normal Shiba, and more recently, breeders mixing the Shiba with other toy breeds to make them smaller.

Then again everyone here on the board probably already knew that...
  • edited November -1

I don't want to think about it :(~
  • edited November -1
    its not just the japanese breeding mame shibas on purpose, a breeder in NJ has bred a few already.
  • edited November -1
    Jen, she always manages to come up in these forums >_>~
  • edited November -1
    i guess its kind of a good thing, the more aware you are of a bad breeding practice the less business she (or those like her) will get.
  • edited August 2008
    I know, it's just that every time I hear her mentioned I want to fly to NJ & punch her in the face.~
  • edited November -1
    Down boy.
  • edited August 2008
    I'm a Girl ;p~
  • edited November -1
    Idiots like her just make me so angry :o~
  • edited November -1
    Down girl...
  • edited November -1
    Oops...girl.