Trying to figure what my dog is

edited June 2008 in Other Breeds
Hello I recently saved a dog from a shelter (just days form being euthanized) and I am trying to figure what his breed is. Here is his petfinder link http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10967720
or
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pet/729633308.html

My friends believe he look shiba/husky and some say chowchow/husky. What are your thoughts? I am picking him up Saturday since he is about 2hr away from where I live.

Comments

• edited November -1
    He is very cute! I'm so happy you saved him - that's great of you... he is so lucky to have you!

He looks very much like a Kai-Ken mix... I couldn't tell you what he is mixed with tho... but most certainly looks like a Kai-Ken/something mix.

Post some better pics if you can - that will help!

Oh, and, Welcome to the forum!

----
  • edited November -1
    He's gorgeous! Welcome to the forum, have you picked out a name for him yet?
  • edited November -1
    Why thank you. I feel bad though I cant pick him up till the weekend and it is killing me. I googled Kai-Ken and saw that he has many similarities. I'll try to post up more pictures in the upcoming days.
  • edited November -1
    I was thinking about calling him Kuma or maybe just flat out bear
  • edited November -1
    I'm sure he's feeling the same way lol. I think Bear might suit him better than Kuma, but that's just me :)
  • edited November -1
    Oh yeah, I like the name Bear. It suits him.

I'm not going to chime in with my opinion because I'm terrible at judging breeds, but he is a very handsome boy.

Congrats and welcome to the forum!
  • edited November -1
    Absolutely adorable! I agree with Brad about the Kai Ken mix with something (another medium breed, I'd guess)! He has that look about him that our Josephine had when we found her at 10-12 weeks old --- everyone asked us if we had a bear cub! Looks like this little guy just never grew out of it if they have the age pegged right at a year.

Love the name Bear--- I think it fits well!

Enjoy him and I'm eager to see your pics when you get him home and settled in.

Welcome!
  • edited November -1
    Good for you. He's lucky that you found him. He is a handsome boy and I like the name "Bear" too.
  • edited November -1
    Got a few things pushed a side, dodged a meeting, and I am picking him up tomorrow his name will most likely be Bear.
  • edited November -1
    Welcome to the pack!
    Bear is a very handsome boy. I agree with Brad on the probable Kai mix.

(funny, Bear's name at the shelter was Brad :-P)
  • edited November -1
    I'm definitely seeing the Kai Ken, but nothing else. Congratulations on saving a life. Either name suits him in my opinion.
  • edited November -1
    I see a lot of Chow. The head shape (not the nose though) and the fur. Not sure what the other breeds might be. Kai Ken is possible but seems less likely due to their relatively small numbers in the country.

He's a grade A mutt (mutts are good). Thank you for giving him a home and a new start on life!
  • edited November -1
    Looks like a Kai-Ken, Aussie Shepard Mix to me. Such a cutie!!! Have fun with Bear (that's my vote, hehe).

Welcome.
  • edited June 2008
    I've never seen a Kai in person but he looks like a mix of a Chow and and Kai. He's about that size, too.

Kuro* Kuma (dark bear).. or Bear.. He's beautiful! Good luck!
  • edited June 2008
    It's actually kuro not kura.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks! I'm still learning!