Caucasian Ovcharka

edited June 2008 in Other Breeds
Here is a Caucasian Ovcharka I met while in Europe. He was so calm and gentle, and had beautiful golden eyes with black specks. I really liked this dog, his name was Rike. He was a guard dog, on a chain all the time... But he loved getting petted by those he knows. A shame that barely anyone spends time with him.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Welcome back!

That is very sad that he spends all his time on a chain like that, he seems sweet from the photo.

----
  • edited November -1
    He does seem very sweet! I'm glad you gave him some affection. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Yeah, that's sad. :( He looks like a giant teddy.
  • edited November -1
    What a lovely coat and sweet face. I'm sorry you didn't bring him home. The collar says a lot to me.

Britain
  • edited November -1
    Yes, he's adorable isn't he? So sweet, he'd just close his eyes when I rubbed him behind the ear and over the head, resting his huge muzzle on my arm... I was so tempted.

hotarujishin- why does the collar say a lot to you?
  • edited November -1
    What a beautiful doggie. Different cultures view the animals from different perspectives and needs, don't they? I remember staying with a family in Guatemala a few years ago (reciprocal visit with an exchange student who stayed with us earlier). Their dogs were always on the chain and guarding the house. They seemed content, well-fed, etc. (and/or used to and conditioned to their role) but I did not see the kids or other family and household members ever playing with the dogs, petting them or otherwise offering attention. I don't remember the dogs barking or displaying any stress (probably a good thing, because I think a key mission was as an "alarm" doggie). Likewise, I recall it was very intriguing to the Guatemalan studen who stayed with us to share the house with a family pet, play with the dog, etc. etc. She did love it, though, and displayed alot of affection to our dog, Joe, when she stayed with us. She liked to take the dog for a walk along with our daughter (both were 15 at the time), but remarked that in her country it would not possible to do such a thing as it would not be safe. with or without a dog at the end of a leash.
  • edited November -1
    This makes me so sad. What is wrong with people? Why do they treat 'man's best friend' this way?
  • edited November -1
    Different cultures, different views.

In other countries, people are thinking you're nuts for having a pet dog.
  • edited November -1
    My guess is that the collar says a lot because it is big and thick, for holding back a serious dog and connecting him to a big chain, it is also old, worn and weathered, which lets you know that he probably doesn't get treatted to a lot of new, nice things. It says that he isn't on the top of the list of important thing, and any old ratty collar that will hold the chain on is just fine.
  • edited November -1
    Here is another pic of some dogs from over there. Both these were on chains, too.
    I really hate how some countries/cultures view dogs.
  • edited November -1
    True. Different cultures...different attitudes. Many think of us as nuts because of the
    way we are with our pets.
  • edited November -1
    many people in THIS country think we are nuts because of how we treat our pets
  • edited November -1
    very true