Shelter updates

edited May 2008 in Rescue
I haven't posted the dogs I am working with in a while so I thought I would share a bit.
First...good news
Sue Parker, the dog trainer I train with is presenting a show to Animal Planet next week, about her Pit Bull Shelter Dog Training Program, and Piglet will get to be part of the demo (probably me too but I am more excited about Piggy).

Also the dog training class that I work with will have two new students on Sunday with their new parents, Lily and Tinkerbell!!! I am so excited to see them with their new moms and dads!! You would think I was seeing a long lost family member.

ANYWAY...
Here is the link to my shelters Pet Finder

www.petfinder.com/shelters/RI35.html

This is Grover, he is my boyfriend. He is a senior and a mushball.
This is Fuji, he is 15 and his owner abandoned him because he didn't want to pay for his liscense and fines. 15 years old and you bail on him!!
This is Reese, she is a tiny sweetheart!
This is Pip, she is likely a pit/whippet and just a teeny tiny little super star. I put her on TV last week and she was perfect.
This is Rosie. She and I are having a bit of a love affair. She jumps out of her skin when she sees me and throws her body against the gate to be near me. Oh I love her. I wonder if she has a bit of Basenji in her pit mix.
This is my little puppy friend Mocha. Maybe 6-8 months old. Pit bull and something else (maybe Jack Russell). Oh she is a sweet dog! And has a perfect temperment! She is almost perfect!
This is Sassy. Oh she is a sweetheart and smart as a whip! Poor thing has contracted Kennel Cough and is a giant phlegm ball. Actually a bunch of the dogs have KC. Sucks. Thank god all of my dogs have been vaccinated. And I scrub down before I come home to them just to be safe.
There are so many more. But these are MY babies.
If you know anyone in New England looking for a perfect new addition, let me know.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Dear Jessica. Please send me Mocha. Thank you. Love, Rina
  • edited November -1
    I'd like Mocha, Pip and Rosie. I especially love Pip. He's all dressed up!!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Awww, Jess. They're all adorable! Fuji looks like a bear. I have no idea how someone could bail on a dog after 15 years. I'd like to have that person's head examined.

Just be thankful that your shelter gives pits a chance.
  • edited November -1
    Awww...they are all so cute!!! Reese really seems to like her back scratched! Portia LOOVEESS that!

And seriously, after 15 years....COME ON!
  • edited November -1
    I hate it when old dogs get dumped. Man I'd have a really hard time not taking Fuji home. He just wants to lay on the couch!

Keep up the good work Jess.
  • edited November -1
    Pip is really cute. :o)
  • edited November -1
    Dave, your shelter I take it either doesn't take pits or kills them?
  • edited November -1
    They're all cute, but I particularly like Sassy!

Only a human(?) could be enough of a jerk to dump a friend of 15 years.
  • edited November -1
    I like Reese and Pip. I'm a sucker for the black and white ones.

I can't imagine abandoning a 15 year old dog! I mean, sheesh, you've made it this far!
  • edited November -1
    Yeah Jess, I just found out the other day my shelter does not treat pits well at all. When they come in (and they do come in), they are immediately put in isolation where they are kept for the mandatory waiting period and then they get put down. Every once in a while if the ACOs know somebody they might allow them to adopt one, but that's supposedly a rarity. It fits with what I've observed though. The story is they were having a problem with people coming in to get fighting dogs. I'm not sure I believe it.
  • edited November -1
    Our local shelter said the same thing of their adopting out pits - and because they had the highest 'revolving door' and adopted to fight potential of any other breeds to come in..
    The pits here go directly into isolation as well until they are evaluated for adoption or taken out by rescue groups. Its very sad.

Although - and I don't know if this is an idea you can harness too, Dave - there is a Pit/Muscle Breed/Mix Education group that has formed in our area that has been taking the pits individually from my shelter and a neighboring county shelter to obedience classes and socializing them and earning them a "Good Canine Citizen" before they are adopted. They also select a 'pet of the week' to put on the newspaper too - pushing for Pro-Pit Education and Awareness. Unfortunately, in taking special interest in a few dogs leaves several on the euth short list, but its a start of pro-muscle breed education for my local community.
  • edited November -1
    We have been training our dogs and CGC certifying the shelter dogs for a while now (see Tinkerbell thread). It is a smart thing to do.

I am sickened by shelters that use the excuse of fighting to not adopt pits. If that is the case, then they shouldn't adopt out any small dogs or cats because they are often used as bait. If they are smart enough to know who not to adopt those animals too they should be smart enough to know to whom they should adopt a smart strong sensitive dog. By not giving pits a chance they are continuing to promote the myth that they are all viscious dogs.

Good dogs are good dogs, and bad dogs are bad dogs PERIOD. It has nothing to do with breed I was visciously attacked by a Pekingnese as a child while living with German Shepherds. My best friend was mauled by a Golden Retriever. The day before I adopted Piglet I had to go to the hospital after getting bitten by a Chocolate Lab.

It is so sad for me that the general public regularly judge an entire breed because of propaganda. It breaks my heart when I hear of rescues being as ignorant.

Dave and Jen, I know that you do not make the policies and it in no way is a reflection of the awesome work that you guys do, and the saving of other dogs by the shelters is great. It just sucks. We put down vicious dogs all the time at my shelter. Some are pits, others chihuahuas, shepherds, labs, papillions. We judge our dogs individually. I just other shelters could be more aware. My shelter is run by some really awful union dudes, but they trust us enough to let us decide who gets put down.
  • edited November -1
    JessicaRabbit

How does your shelter deal with aggression? I have a friends whos pit always tolerated dogs well and recently has starting fighting mostly with dogs that are larger then him and of the same sex. Shes considering rehoming him but i would hate to see that happen do have any tips i can give her other then don't bring him outside anymore? He gets along with smaller dogs just fine and he's very loving i'd hate to see a good dog not given the chance he deserves. I'm even a little hurt with my friend, i've known her for awhile and she spoils him so i cant figure out why shes willing to give him up?
  • edited November -1
    First and foremost, is he neutered? If he isn't that is her first issue.
    Second, what level of obedience training has he been through?
    Dog don't just out of nowhere start showing aggression. Is this on or off lead. If she is bringing him to a dog park she shouldn't be. Pits DO NOT belong at dog parks.
    You say she spoils him. Does she let him get away with stuff? Frankly most peoples dogs act up because THEY aren't being effective leaders.

All of this is the same advice I would give any one regardless of the breed (with the exception of the dog park comment, although lately I have come to hate dog parks)
  • edited November -1
    You may also want to tell your friend that re-homing a pit is normally a death sentence for them. 1 in 500 pits ion shelters find homes. The other 499 are killed. She needs to get herself and her dog in a class STAT. That is HER responsibility as a dog owner. Especially a dog that elicits such prejudice.
  • edited November -1
    He's neutered she got him from the shelter as a puppy. She doesn't let him get away with he is definitely and effective leader over him he listens extremely well.

We live in an apartment complex so the dog people go out and play. His aggression started when a boxer also from the shelter was introduced into our play group and now that a large black lab has also come into the picture. I will recommend some obedience classes and maybe a behaviorist. When I've dog sat i took him to a friends house and they have three large dogs two boxers and a hound. He did fine i watched him very carefully he asserted his dominance with one but with the others he seemed to understand the pack dynamics and didn't fight. I've posted a picture of him on my introduction he really is a great dog. I'm hoping she'll reconsider.
  • edited November -1
    An effective leader does not abandon a family member when they begin to display insecurity (which is what this dogs behavior sounds like). And re-homing a family member is abandonment.

In truth I would not allow my pit to play in group dynamics. That is playing with fire.

I am sick to my stomach about this.
  • edited November -1
    I think this scenario precedes the reason for several pit surrenders from otherwise 'good' but less than capable people..

I hope you can talk to your friend and reason with her decision with her dog!
  • edited November -1
    Well she decided to keep him. Thanks Jessica Rabbit. Another friend and i were extremely distraught over the situation to the point that i was crying over it. Bubbas owner is going to work on more obedience stuff with him. Thanks for the advice