Talk me down!

edited May 2008 in Rescue
So, with all the traveling I'm going to be doing over the next week, I won't be able to volunteer at the Shelter this or next weekend. I decided to stop by today for a little while before I leave tomorrow. While it was great, it was also a huge mistake. I have completely fallen for this adorable Shiba/GSD mix. She such a sweetheart. Loves to play, greets me excited with her cute little ears pinned back. She loves to play fetch and is super playful outside. She's great with people, knows how to walk on a leash, knows sit, down, and stay. She becomes available for adoption on Saturday. I even picked out a name for her...Lola!

Here's the rub. I can't get another dog right now. Lucy is just getting over the trauma of Joey arriving, and my finances ares stretched thin as it is with all of Lucy's medical bills. What do I do? I already emailed a local rescue about her, but haven't heard if they have any plans to get her.

----

On a side note, my other favorite girl there Sierra, a husky got adopted yesterday and returned today. She's a fence jumper and has been in and out of the shelter three or four times. I brushed her, gave her a bath, and sat with her in the hallway to meet people for 45 minutes. She breaks my heart.

Comments

• edited May 2008
    Thats great that she be available for adoption. Im sure she'll find a great forever home. If i could i would adopt as many dogs as i could but i have my hand full with two

I'm a believer in "you'll know when it right" we always wanted a second dog but we both lived in apts and couldnt really afford it. But we finally got a house and we werent looking for pet and Zoie just kind of happened
  • edited November -1
    *slaps you in the face* :P

Aww poor Sierra. If she gets returned will the other people that were on the waiting list be contacted? Or is it starting all over to find people?
  • edited November -1
    That's a good question. I didn't think to ask. I suspect since she's been in the shelter so many times, that they do not contact other people on the waiting list. :-(
  • edited November -1
    Dave, I had no idea you were volunteering at a shelter. When do you find the time. Is she someone who would work with Jake?
  • edited November -1
    She just might. She's a little bit bigger than Jake and is very outgoing. She loves affection and doesn't seem timid around other dogs at all.
  • edited November -1
    Dave, if anyone knows how hard it is to not fall in love with the shelter pups we work with it is me. I ask the adoptive parents to email me updates and many of them do. I have lots of news but I will save that for my own thread.

Resisting hijacking temptation...

You know what the right thing is, it just isn't as fun as the fantasy of taking home all the sweet ones.
  • edited November -1
    Geez, I feel for you. I used to do rescue, and fell in love with one of my wards. In order to keep her, I had to give up fostering - hubby's request. In all fairness, I couldn't have two Akitas, an ailing mom, a full time job, and keep more Akitas. So, I did the only thing I could. I gave up rescue and kept Tasha, who is still thief of hearts, but has her forever home -- with me, lucky me. I still did transport and evaluations for the Akita rescue for a few years after that. I can't imagine how many I'd probably have if hubby hadn't reeled me in. I hated walking into shelters. I kept my head down, eyes down, until I was standing in front of the only dog I was there for. I'd never have survived any other way.

It works out. It really does. You'll just work harder at finding this girl a great home. All the best...
  • edited November -1
    It's tough for us dog lovers to say no to a dog. But, I think the best thing to do is to wait to see if Lola finds a home. If she does, than my hope is that home will be as amazing and fulfilling as your home would've been. If she doesn't, than that's the sign that she's the dog for you.
  • edited November -1
    step back from the crate.....put the leash down.....walk away slowly....jk!

I know it's tough - as I've said before it's the reason I have a tough time volunteering. I like helping out with adoption days - it's easier for me. I'm hoping both find a forever home soon.
  • edited November -1
    I think you answered your own question in the second paragraph.

----
  • edited November -1
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the support. As you may have already guessed, I knew I couldn't bring her home. I just had to vent my broken heart. I suspect it will never get any easier, but this is the first dog I've completely fallen for at the shelter. There are a bunch that I love to death, but this one has kept me up at night.
  • edited November -1
    Heh I had a cat like that at the rescue. His name was Aspen and I loved him to death. He would fit perfectly in with our group too. We just can't add another animal in the house right now.

I just checked the rescue site and he's still at the Petsmart. If he's still there when we move I'd love to still take him but I kinda left with bad blood so I doubt they'll ok my application.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    ooohh Dave - she sounds so lovable. I feel for you but know that you will make the best decision for Lucy and Joey's sake. That said, I wish I lived in GA so I could apply for her!
  • edited November -1
    I bet it is hard to have her there and tempting to take her with you. But you're a logical and reasonable guy and you know that right now isn't the best time for you.
  • edited November -1
    Dave, which shelter?
  • edited November -1
    Welcome to working at the shelter.

Last night, for the first time ever, there was a pure bred Shiba at the shelter. A little boy, probably under 6 months old, in as a stray. He's just a great looking little guy, already been there for four days, so it seems that whoever lost him isn't looking for him. It was hard not to steal him.