advices

since im going to get a kai puppy YaY!!   ^_^  .... i wanted you guys to give me some advices .....in all my life ive always had 2 or more dogs together, but they always were together since they were puppies...  in this case its gonna be a 2 years old Jack Russell and a kai puppy... how do i make them to be friends and all that stuff? ill appreciate your help :)

PD: sorry for my english ;)

Comments

• edited November -1
    Just introduce them slow, since your Kai will be a puppy you will probably not have any issues. I would keep them separated for the first few days till the excitement factor has worn off them introduce them in short carefully monitored periods until you know for sure that your J.R. is ok w/ the pup.

Once they have formed a bond you will probably not have any issues.
  • edited April 2008
    I agree with Brad. Take your time and let them earn all of their privileges together. 

I don't know how much this helped, but I made sure Lucy was REALLY REALLY tired before I introduced her to Joey. The day before we picked him up I took Lucy for six hours worth of walks. The day we picked him up, we went for a 2 hour walk in the morning and another 45 minutes once we arrived at the breeder's house. Also, I made sure to introduce them on neutral territory for Lucy (in the breeder's back yard).

Joey has been with us for 5 1/2 weeks now and he is still restricted to parts of the house that I can always keep a close eye on him. Lucy is free to come and go as she pleases, but since Joey is always by me I can keep control. Luckily, I haven't had to do much! When I can't keep an eye on him (like if I'm in the shower) he is always crated even if Lucy is not.

I've only gone through this once. Heidi wrote a great article about this with much more information than I know. And  as always, don't hesitate to ask us questions!