Building a safe agility course

edited April 2008 in Products & DIY
I know Shibas are an agile breed. I have not measured but would attest to Kitsune jumping 3 feet
in the air from a standing position unto the back of my couch from the floor. Kitsune and Tsuki are quick on their
feet and have no problem changing their course of direction
on a dime. I've been told the athleticism of the Shiba Inu, as well as their
nimble movements, make them a natural for agility.
So I figure why not teach them while they are young. The problem is there are no agility courses near me, only during spring trials at the Kennel Club, but they are exclusive to trained dogs and handlers, of which I am not. How do you start building a small agility course? I know I will need tubing and flex cones for weaving and hurdles.. thats really all I know about agility. Is it a food motivated type training? Has anyone done agility with their shibas? Or other Nihon Ken? I think this is going to be my summer project!

my reference is: http://www.shibasports.com/activities/agility.htm

Comments

• edited November -1
    that petsmart one is adorable!! shibas and children in bliss!
    thanks for the links.
  • edited November -1
    ooo, i'm actually thinking of getting Toby involved in agility once he matures and is fully grown after his birthday in December. :) Besides that, might get a little cheapo starter kit and just get him used to some of it, even if it just means him going into them, or walking over them, instead of being afraid. I tried a hoola hoop and it scared the crap out of him. :D
  • edited May 2008
    Here's something to watch for those getting into agility or obedience with Shiba Inus!

forgot the link!
  • edited November -1
    well this past weekend, we set up a system to see if it would be worth buying agility equipment & we tried tiring our pups out extra with hoola hoops, our female wanted no part of it but our male was having a ball leaping through them for a treat on the other side! and we had traffic cones lined up for the weaving and he got the gist a little bit but then we had a hollowed out garbage can between two cinder blocks (just your your average backyard agility course set up!) and I think the noise from inside the garbage can spooked him, but all around it was successful, he was really really tired afterwards! We will be getting agility equipment soon!
  • edited November -1
    That is great that Kitsune liked the agility equipment. Nemo is terrified of the stuff, which bums me out because he, like most shibas, would be so good at it. He does love running through the forest and jumping over dead trees, however there is always some danger in that because of upright sticks and what not.
  • edited November -1
    I hate having him be motivated only by food to do agility but that was the only way to get Kitsune in, on, or near the makeshift equipment! Nemo won't even do it for his favorite food?
    Shibas are a natural, I think our male is much more agile than our female, too, so its OK that she didn't like it so much. We're thinking we'll let her do some 'earth dog' trial practice with her BFF the cairn terrier! Tsuki loves to dig and chase leaves and tear the life out of toys so maybe she'll be a natural at earth dog activities.
  • edited November -1
    Just make sure to start jumps low and just keep it fun. Even if they are scared keep it fun, upbeat and take your time. Agility takes a long time to train, even for fun.
  • edited November -1
    the hoolah hoop was literally 5 inches from the ground, even though I KNOW he could jump higher, I didn't want to hurt him! At the tennis courts (where we go for off leash playdates) Kitsune once leaped a net, I had my heart in my throat that he wouldn't get his foot caught in the netting, but he really cleared it! I was amazed! And ready to pass out!

I really want to challenge him when he gets comfortable with it, I want to keep it fun, but really challenge him - whats the best part of agility as a challenge do you think? Do all of your shibas do agility?
  • edited November -1
    Haiku, Mashi and Tracker have all taken classes. Mashi and Haiku still take classes. I pulled Tracker after concerns with a former leg injury. Shibas are wonderful agility dogs. Many shibas earn agility titles every year.
    Mine train at an agility school near me and we have some equipment on the property as well. I am surprised that there are no agility trainers near you. If I were you, I would go to an agility trial and ask the people competing, who they train with. Given it takes going through some trainers to find one that works with the breed. But I have never really heard of an area without at least one trainer or at least someone who would practice with you. If you decide to get serious, I would check out some trials and ask around.

As for the challenge, I think the biggest challenge is communication between you and the dog as you try to guide them through a course. But as for challenging the dog specifically, I would say just changing it up. A tunnel, then 2 jumps, then a tire jump. Next time the tire, then an obstacle like a dog walk, and then a jump and the tunnel. Just making it different makes a shiba happy. And I have never seen a happier shiba then one who gets things right, that is why I think they like agility. They get to conquer it. They win.
  • edited November -1
    So Nikkoth, how does it work doing agility with your Shiba off lead (because most courses I have seen are outside). Do they have a perimeter fence?

Just wondering since Shiba's aren't good off lead dogs.

I hope to start working with my Shikoku on agility. So far he has learned low jumps and likes that (for UKC obedience a low jump in art of the formal recall).
  • edited November -1
    We set up the agility in our small fenced in yard, but the dog park near our house is supposedly going to put in a small agility course as well.. I think you need a fenced in area to even ensure your shiba/shika will stay with you during agility training! We are also training Kitsune on a loose leash to weave and tunnel.
  • edited November -1
    I've trained Sasha to jump obstacles on command, she loves it! Just soars over high with lots of room to spare! A natural jumper.
  • edited November -1
    First I make sure my shibas have a good recall (for a shiba). I can call Haiku off of almost anything but prey. But I am careful and consistant about when I actually say "come". Its funny actually, last night was agility class for Mashi and then Haiku. Haiku got the zoomies out of the shoot and took off around the building (indoor riding ring building). I timed my "come" for when he was looking at me and coming my way. I yelled "Haiku Come!" and we run right to me front and sat. Everyone's jaws in the room dropped (GSD and Dobe owners). I threw a mini party with cookies and toys right on the spot. After that we went over to the other end of the room and practiced recalls on a long line for a few minutes. Just to reinforce it in his head after that bout of freedom.
    Zoomies and running off will happen. These are shibas and most of all they are dogs. I can usually keep my dogs on me off leach with lots of off leash/loose leash training and the promise that there are treats on me or near me. I will still never depend on that promise of a squirrel or other prey ran by.

As for off leash outside - I will only train or trial my dogs on a course in a fenced area. Most trials have at least a snow fence around the course. If there isn't I won't work my dog. I also try to position friends at the start gate and the exit. Just in case a dog makes a break for it. There are usually a lot of people around and are fascinated by shibas in the ring so they will aid if the dog heads for the fence.
    Also all the same above goes for obedience as well. Even in Novice Obedience there are times when your dog is off leash.
    Basically I give my dogs all the tools they need to focus and work off leash and worst case, there is a fence to protect them.
  • edited November -1
    I just wanted to add that there is a great book on making your own equipment.
    DO IT YOURSELF AGILITY EQUIPMENT
    by Jim Hutchins
  • edited November -1
    lol! the zoomies! Kitsune is fair at recall, he's not food motivated like Tsuki so we have to time it just right as well to reinforce what we actually want from him! My yard is fenced in save for a 3 foot area that was caved in by a flood. Currently our garbage cans are blocking that exit for the dogs as well as spring overgrowth, but I'm still really worried about it. They know its there, too.
    Thank you for the book tip, I think in the end, we'll probably be making a lot of our own equipment - I'm adding that to my Amazon list!