Separation anxiety

edited July 2017 in Akita (秋田犬)
My Akita is 5 months old now , when ever I leave his sight he howls and whines if he cannot get to me, anyone else have this problem and can offer a solution ?

Comments

• How is it that you're being separated from the dog, are you confining him to a crate/is he enclosed, or are you just leaving the house and he whines?
  • My Akita is 5 months old now , when ever I leave his sight he howls and whines if he cannot get to me, anyone else have this problem and can offer a solution ?
    My (also ~5 month old Akita) still does this too if he's crated and can't follow me out of a room. The best thing you can do is ignore it until he's quiet and reward him for that. You can also leave him with a chew toy (stuffed frozen kong, raw food, whatever is high value for him), leave for a few seconds, come back, rinse repeat. He'll eventually learn that you leaving his sight isn't a big deal.
  • Echoing what Koujichan said above, which is why I asked if you were crating him. You reward them for sitting quietly, and ignore the whines. However if it's something that happens once you leave the house, maybe try crating first so they get used to the idea and can train it in a controlled environment?
  • Yeah when ever I leave his sight he goes nuts and starts howling, wheater I have him in the cage or close the bathroom door but I will give him a treat when he stops, thanks!
  • Yeah when ever I leave his sight he goes nuts and starts howling, wheater I have him in the cage or close the bathroom door but I will give him a treat when he stops, thanks!
    Make sure there's a few seconds between when he stops and when you reward him too so he doesn't think he's getting treats for yelling his head off lol
  • There's a DVD you can buy called "Susan Garret's Crate Games." This video gives step by step instructions on various games you can play with your dog to build a positive association with the crate. This has worked very well with all of my dogs. The more positive associations you build with his crate, the more secure he's going to feel when you leave him alone in it.