Kangai is finally home!

Well, after a sleepless night, four hours on the road(there and back), one hour in US customs, Kangai is finally home and has joined the pack!Laughing

Everything went pretty good for the most part. We got at the cargo pick up at about 2:00 and she was already there waiting, but we couldnt see her until we went to the US customs office at the airport with her papers to be signed, so we drove over there with the papers, waited an hour for someone to actually help us out, greeted by EXTREMLY RUDE customs officer pretty much saying that the US has too many dogs to have one imported for that much money (he was a very big A$$hole Undecided) Then we finally went and got our little girl!

When we saw her she was very excited, not distraught at all after being on the long plane ride. She makes some pretty interesting noises too! She is already howling, it is so cute. We stoped at a few places on the way home so she could go potty and she went right away. She is very good at knowing to go potty outside for the most part (eventhough I gave her TONS of water today and shes had a few accidents in the house, but shes excited so I forgive her Smile)

Then we got home and introduced her to Kenji and Keira and the kitties and they love her! SmileThey have been playing ever since we got home! Im hoping she will finally poop out and take a nap, because after getting none lastnight, im exhaused!!Tongue out

Also her ear isnt as bad as I thought it was going to be, and the spot in between her nose seems like its going to heal soon and it will grow hair back. I just need to make sure the other two dont try to bite her ear and make it sore, but they have been pretty good with her and just playing and not over agressive play.

I took a couple of pictures, but shes a very energetic little girl and doesnt really want to sit still at the moment (which I dont blame her for the long trip here) so I will update with more pictures tommorow!Laughing

Edit:

Yes the doggies are on the table...lol. Kenji started it a while back (I think because its his nature in the breed where he needs to feel like he can watch everyone and everything and be on guard so thats his stop on the table, he even sleeps on top of the table sometimes....I shouldnt allow it but thats his nature to do so...lol) and Kangai and Keira were running on the couch and Kangai got stuck...hence why shes on the side table...they are a handful alright but are so cute!

Ewa and I talked on the phone today and told her everything was going good. However, I found out she can text me on my phone but I guess I cant text her, and for the last few days I have been texting her thinking she has been receiving them.  Anyways I sent her one today saying I had gotten Kangai and she was alright and healthy, but around an hour after I got home she texted me wondering why I hadnt contacted her and wondering if she was okay, so she must have been freaking out! So I guess I must be able to receive them from internationally, just not send them, so I called her and let her know she was safe and sound!

Thanks for all the warm wishes guys! I promise to spam much more later!Laughing

Comments

• edited November -1
    Aww, what a little cutie! :) Congrats on the safe arrival of Kangai. She is absolutely gorgeous!
  • edited November -1
    Congratulations! Enjoy her! Sleep will come soon (next week probably).
  • edited November -1
    her ear looks perfect! what a little love! she's bigger than Keira!!

You will have your handsful!

I'm glad everyone is getting along! I'm glad you have her, Ewa must be relieved!!
  • edited November -1
    Oh my...doggies on the table. Tisk tisk! ;-)

You must be soooo excited! Hell, I'm sooooo excited!

That's just amazing that they are getting along so well. She looks happy and playful and that's just awesome!

Congrats and keep the spam flowing freely! :-)
  • edited April 2008

Dave, seriously, i'm here going "John (husband) - there's pictures of Kangai! She made it" and he's all "um, what's a kangai?"

...Laughing

Do keep the spam coming! She seems to be experiencing "reverse jetlag" where all of a sudden, she'll just fall on her side and sleep for a day!

• edited November -1
    LOL. What is a Kangai? ;-)
  • edited November -1
    omg that is too funny!!! What is a Kangai! tee hee hee. What did you tell him after he said that?? LOL.
  • edited November -1

i said "a kangai is a beautiful Hokkaido dog who made a very long journey home - here - just look here - right there - don't you just love her???"

he agreed that all of your dogs are beautiful!!

• edited November -1
    Aw thank you tsukisune!!Laughing I think you should tell your husband that you want one so she has another Hokka friend Wink
  • edited November -1
    well if i ever get the monitary freedom to buy a house with land, fence it in, and have $$$ left over, we certainly will give Kangai a Hokka friend in the US!! and kishu, and shikoku, and kai and...
  • edited November -1
    YAY!  She made it and is home forever!  I love her!  I hope that her hair grows back, niko got her nose stuck in a kennel at the groomers, it scared and never grew back.  She has 2 small dots on her nose.
  • edited November -1
    Those dots on Niko's nose are cute! What's a little piece of ear missing here or there anyway? :-)
  • edited November -1
    YAY!! Congrats Jamie!!! Im glad she's finally here with you!!  Please do keep us updated with lots of spam!  Im glad that Kangai is getting along with Keira and Kenji so well!  Those pics are great!  Kenji is such a handsome boy and Keira still looks like an itty bitty puppy!
  • edited November -1

Congrats Jamie!!!! She is so cute... and that is great that she is doing so well with the other pups!

I'm glad she made it safe... the customs situation sounds a lot like what we went through when we got Hilo. It sucked!

• edited November -1
    She's home!!! Congratulations Jamie! Very happy she got to you safely and that she took well to the change.Laughing
  • edited November -1
    Woohoo such a cutie. Glad she got there safe :) And especially more so that everyone is getting along.
  • edited November -1
    Congratulations on your beautiful girl. And it looks like the rest of the pack likes her too!
  • edited November -1

Dear Jamie,

I know how much your hands must be full at this point, but when you get a moment, we'd love some more KANGAI /KEIRA/KENJI SPAM!!!

Thanks,

Jen

P.S. I was going to type "KKK spam", but I thought I would make it crystal clear the type of pictures we all want to see. :)

• edited November -1
    LMAO
  • edited November -1

I’m very
    glad that Kangai is OK.  Ewa and Dominik are
    returning from German show. Best wishes for Kangai and her new family. Kate

• edited November -1
    So glad to hear Kangai is home and doing well.
  • edited November -1
    Yay!!!! So exciting! She is incredibly beautiful and getting on very well with your pack. Congrats!!!
  • edited April 2008

Hi everyone, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Finally! Just now I am enough relaxed to sit by the computer for more then fifteen minutes and write all I want to write You all and more to Jamie :-)

Jamie, at first, I want to thank You that You took Kangai with such a happiness and love. I am sure she will give You all the best she has, and that she wouldn’t give You much troubles now and in the future :-) I hope that the good situation between her and Your dogs will last very long or never change :-)

Back to her travel, I was really very scared, when You didn’t response for any of my SMS`es, and I was supposing the worst with her. Because when we made a test some days ago, I got You SMS without any problems. So I thought that maybe they don’t want to give her to You or something was wrong with her health or something went wrong with my roaming in my phone. I couldn’t also write You any e-mail, cause Dominik forgot a charger to our Notebook  :-) Wrrrr… But when You called I could already sleep well.

I cant understand why the customer were so snippy??? Fuck, You should told him, that US has too many idle customers or too many stupid customers to employ the next one and additionally pay him so much money for it! :-)

I have to say, that in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Frankfurt the people were very, very nice and took a super care of us and Kangai. It emerged, that Nishitan – the man from Pet Air came to the airport especially only for us, because they usually don’t work on weekends but try to send the pets from Monday to Friday. But he do us a favor :) And he was awaiting us, prepared all the papers, brought this nice flight cage for Kangai and told us everything what will happen next. After the needed formalities, he went out and gave us twenty minutes of time to bid farewell with our sweet small princess. So we did it and made some pictures by phone and camera, and gave her thousands of last kisses… Than he came again, and put her to the carrier and brought to the special great Animal Lounge with a special stuff, where all the pets were waiting for their flights…. We saw it, but we couldn’t get in… And it was the end…

You have asked me, how I stand the separation…  Awfully…

We left the house about 7 p.m. About midnight we cross the border and through the German highways, with some stops for the dogs, we drove very fast to Frankfurt all the night. Kangai was oddly very quiet all the way. Maybe, that’s way there were also two other dogs with us. Of course, when the day life starts, she was already were angry that she had to sit in the cage, and not to run around all the car…. :-)

About 5 a.m. when it was already brightly, and when I saw the first roadsigns to the Frankfurt Airport,  I realized that there is already no way out with Kangai and that there are our last minutes with her, and I started to cry for the first time. Dominik said - as usually “I told You - you wanted it yourself” :)but he was also very, very sad. When we came to the cargo, I calmed a little, but when Nishitan said I cant give to Kangai`s cage any of her toys I took with her - for her, I started to cry again. As I wrote You in the first SMS I was allowed only to give the documents. So did I, and stayed with the toys in my hands when she was taken from us…
    When Nishitan closed the cage I started to cry for the third time… She was scratching to the doors and cheeping… 
    But we had to left the cargo terrain already… So, I was thinking about her all the way - what is she thinking now???? Is she scared or not? I wanted only, the flight would be already over, and wanted You to pick up her as soon as possible… So she would be already safe and happy in your arms.

Then we had to sleep some hours on a highway`s parking and we continued the trip to our husky-friends in Germany, when we spent the night and on Sunday morning we got up at 6 a.m. and went to the another city to the sportline-husky dogshow. At 6 p.m. we`ve started the way back home, and at the 2 a.m. when we only crossed the house door, I had to sit by the computer and look into forum and in to my mailbox and see what`s about Kangai :) And read everything to Dominik of course…

I think, most of the dogs didn’t notice that she is already not at home. But Zoska was sniffing the carrier of Kangai very strong, and Usha – when she came in to the house, she immediately sprinted to the bedroom where was the her cage with Kangai. She saw that there is noting and she was looking for her daughter… But when she came out, she run to Kai and forgot about Kangai very fast. I think she was mentally separated with Kangai since about two weeks, although she played with her every day, but the most of time she preferred to spend with Kai, who is her best friend ever.

It is incredible, that Kangai grow so fast during these days! She was 6,8 kg before the trip and now is 7,5 kg! I’m shocked :-) Even that she didn’t eat for a 20 hours!!!

I am very glad that everything goes good, and that she was already checked by the vet. I supposed, he wouldn’t find any wrong things in her stool and urine cause she got all needed and not needed :) medicines before coming to US, and she seemed to be in a super form before the trip. But – as we say - “There is always not too much caution”.

I miss her, but I see she is really happy in Your house and I see she feels very firmly there :-)

And what about the cats? We don’t have anyone. She saw cat two times in her life – once in mothers house, and once by our veterinarian. Is she playing with them or not?

I didn’t get an export pedigree for You right now, but my branch of FCI organize a great International Dog Show on 3-4 of Mai, and I expect anyone has just enough time to do it for me. But I send it at once, as I only get it. I have also prepared the toys of her and the DVD with all great the pictures of her I wrote You earlier – from born to the day of flight.

Did You get the last photos from us – from Frankfurt? I put them also on our homepage of hokkaido. Some pictures from her new home also :-)

I hope, that until today everything goes still ok. It is super that she acclimates so good with water, grass, You, dogs and your home. I think You should teach her as much as possible now to change her great energy in doing something more useful that playing :) She learns quite fast, although sometimes she just don’t want to do it. Remember that she is very canny, so please don’t budge her to much :-)

Spam me please with the news and pictures You will take :-)

Ewa

• edited April 2008

Hello everyone! I have been SO busy with Kangai that I havent been able to update in a few days. Boy is she a spunky little thing! =)

Kangai is sleeping much better now. She is starting to understand the daily routine, and is slowly getting adjusted to it, and the time difference. She isn’t having as many potty mistakes when she first did, but I think most of it was due to her excitement of us, the dogs, and it being a new place. I did notice that on Monday after I got home from work, I took her outside, and it’s like she almost was looking for Ewa and Dominik and the other puppies, and whimpered a lot throughout the night, but, it also could have been because my husband wasn’t home either. I am getting the sense that she loves males a lot =) She is so funny; she follows me everywhere, no matter what time of day it is. She hates not knowing where you are and needs to at all times. I get home before my husband does and I feel like she looks for him when I get home too and gets mad when she can’t find him. Keira and Kenji are still being accepting, which is a good thing! Kangai loves the kitties. She tries to play with them and chase them and she’s also tried licking them =)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

She is eating very well still. No problems at all. She hasn’t destroyed anything in the house....yet. ;-) She has actually behaved herself and is a good puppy. We are understanding now that once she drinks we take her out, and take away the water dish late at night. The only problem about putting her in her cage, is she sees that Kenji and Keira are not in their cages because they sleep with us, which is not fair to her. We do not want her to think she is doing anything wrong and that is here punishment. We would like her to sleep with us, we just want to make sure that she won’t go potty on the bed again. I think the only reason why she did pee on the bed was because it was her first night there, and It had been a long day for her, and a lot of water consumed. What do you suggest doing so we are fair to all three of them at night? Eventually I would like Kangai to sleep with us, just to us, they are more than pets to us, they are family, therefore they sleep in bed with us =)  She is such a smary pants! She is catching on to sit and down, and when she goes potty outside we reward her with a treat, so I think that will help with her peeing. She loves making you happy that’s for sure =)

When I get home tonight I am going to take more pictures so I will spam you later with them. She is growing SOOO fast! =) I love waking up in the morning to her kisses and be so happy to be held and loved. It’s such a magical feeling =) Ahhh puppy love =)

• edited November -1
    I'm glad she is settling in and getting so comfortable with you so quickly, she sounds so sweet! I'm stoked to see your spam! Thanx for the update.  :c)
  • edited November -1
    Absolutely! That's a wonderful update. I'm grinning just thinking about her! :-)

As for the crate thing at night, don't worry about inequities. Joey sleeps in a crate at night and Lucy sleeps in the bed. After the first week, he stopped complaining and actually seems to enjoy his crate. What I've done is to start by putting him up in bed with us until I'm about to fall asleep. He usually get 10-15 minutes, sometimes as much as an hour if I'm reading in bed. At that point, he and Lucy have both calmed down enough to curl up and start drifting off so I scoop him up and put him in his crate at which point he usually just plops down and falls asleep. He has a crate right next to the bed so he knows he is with us. 

I think Brad said it best when he said something to the effect of: In the big picture, two years is a very small percentage of their life. You may think its tough right now, but in a few months or years when she can be trusted to make it through the night she'll get her opportunity. And a few years down the road you'll back and realize that the time she spent in her crate was nothing at all!

Thanks for the update....I'm looking forward to the spam!
  • edited November -1
    I know how hard it is with a multidog house and puppy I had a hell of a time getting pictures up AND not pulling my hair out.

BUT

I want pictures!!
  • edited November -1
    If you want them all to sleep on the bed, it sounds like you need a bigger bed.

Pictures would be awesome.
  • edited May 2008
    Good news! All three of them slept in the bed lastnight for the first time since the first day we had her and she peed in the bed, and she slept all night, without peeing!!! YAY! Shes now even standing at the door when she has to go out! Giving her treats when she pottys outside is sure helping, because she knows if she goes outside, she will get one =) I think shes intentionally peeing alot so she can get double the treats ;-)

As for pictues so, I didnt have a chance to download them yesterday. Its like having three toddlers =) I give props to all of you guys who have a "pack", especially you Brad and Jen! It is literally like chasing children around the house. Fuzzy children with squinty eyes and a curly tail ;-) I did take a cute picture of them this morning where all three of them were on the bed, so you can get the feel that we have to pretty much crunch up in a ball to sleep...lol. I think its time for a new bed =)

Overall she really is a good puppy. TOTAL OPPOSITE of a female shiba puppy. At 12 weeks I remember Keira chewing on everything she could get, including furniture, and Kangai chooses to just kind of hang out right by my feet and chew on a chew or chase the cats or Keira and Kenji, so she is pretty low maintenance for a female puppy. *crosses fingers that she will stay like that* lol. Its so funny, she is starting to do her own shiba 500's and all three of them look like a merry go round circleing around the dinner table all at once. I must get it on video! She also howls alot. Its really cute. Its like she has a certain howl if she is sad, happy, hungry, and tired. 

Anyways I will upload some pictures tonight when they are taking a nap! =) 
  • edited November -1

Hi,

Jamie, as I wrote You I was very surprised when You wrote she went potty on the bed! Because she never did it before in our house (although we allow her sometimes to jump to us in the morning :) ). So I suppose it was only a small accident during the play or it came out from exciting or it was a reaction for the new situation. just stress...
    Hokkas are rother very clean and they rother are not going potty in the place that are "their" places - like cage, carrier, bedding or kennel. So I dont think she would repeat it.

Yesterday I was talking to Kate (a girlfriend from ktrebor) and she said, that JaJa did the same in the first days, after she comes from Japan to Poland. She went potty to their bed, but she never did it again, although she also sleeps in thier bed :)
    Emotions?

I told You Kangai is very talktive :))) And she likes when You talk to her and loves when You answer her :) It is some kind of hokka`s language, that we used to comunicate with them also :) They like to show all their emotions this way, and it is super, cause You can always know if she is in a good humor or is angry for something that happened.

We say is in Poland - No one dog tells You - what was happend when You wasn`t at home - more than your hokkas! When you cross the door they tell You everything was going on :)

Jamie, where are the new pictures????????????????? :)